I have not verified the info in this email message ...
Jan 27, 2009
email, From Justin Mckay; spcmckay [a*t] yahoo [d0t] com
This is a MASSIVE 159 page bill that Reps. Matt Shea and Shelly Short have gone thru page by page, and they are very alarmed.
PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY....PEOPLE NEEDED TO TESTIFY THIS FRIDAY!
Friday (Jan 30, 2009) at 8:00 in hearing room C of John L. O'Brien Building we will be having a public hearing on HB 1718. This bill implements the Climate Action Team's recommendations . Also known as Cap and Trade, this legislation will affect every human activity that depends upon the consumption of some form of carbon generating (CO2) energy. This includes, but is definitely not limited to:
1. New Taxes
2. Tolling the I-90 bridge with the fund going to reducing greenhouse emissions, not transportation infrastructure.
3. Mandates reduction in vehicle miles driven for both commercial and private vehicles (pay as you drive/don't drive).
4. Creates what appears to be stringent rent control regarding new buildings.
5. Fully incorporates "green building codes" at an enormous upfront cost to builders and new home buyers.
6. Implementation of "complete street principles" increasing the cost of transportation projects.
7. Severely limits use and disposal of real property.
The seriousness of this legislation cannot be overstated!
Needless to say, this dramatically increases the scope of the Dept. of Ecology. We need people to testify against this in person.
Include phone call hotline number (800) 562-6000 for people to call and express their viewpoints. Cast the net as wide as possible on this one!
The website to find their legislator's contact information is at