October 27, 2008
Republican Party Platform

This is from the 2008 republican party platform:

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. Government interference in the markets exacerbates problems in the marketplace and causes the free market to take longer to correct itself. We believe in the free market as the best tool to sustained prosperity and opportunity for all.

So here are my questions:

1. Who do you vote for if you believe strongly in this GOP party plank?
2. Why does McCain not support the platform his supporters adopted?
3. If he does believe this plank but excuses his action because of extreme situations, then when can we ever trust him to stick to other principles?

Posted by tpahl at October 27, 2008 07:17 PM | Email This
Comments
1. This was something the Ron Paul crowd got into the platform I bet. It is an almost word for word quote of something Ron Paul used to say on the stump.

Posted by: blindman on October 28, 2008 02:16 PM
2. Haha... Yeah... Anything right with the Republican Party must be Ron Pauls fault! Haha

Posted by: Lysander on October 29, 2008 05:45 AM
3. No, just the scammer, Bruce Guthrie crowd- you know, the ones that said they were Republicans and then immediately after the convention became Libertarians.

Posted by: swatter on October 30, 2008 01:43 PM
4. As much as I would like to credit the Ron Paul supporters with this plank in the platform, the McCain camp did a great job supressing any input from RP supporters at the national convention. This plank as did all the other planks came from the McCain camp. McCain however is a Maverick when it comes to supporting limited government. He opposes it!

Posted by: Lysander on October 30, 2008 08:00 PM
5. swatter, blindman...

Am I to understand that you are implying - I realize you didn't outright say this, which is why I'm clarifying - that you do not believe in that part of the platform?

Posted by: Andrew Brown on October 31, 2008 10:23 AM
6. tpaul, for once I agree with you... in theory. And Andrew, I think his point is that he does agree with this part of the party platform (which I don't think was slipped in there by the RP crowd and even if it was it's a good plank). His point is, why did McCain support the bailout and why would we vote for him.
McCain's not perfect. No politician is. I would say to all those who thinks he's too liberal that he has acted a lot more conservative than Bush has these past 8 years with regards to big government spending and on that subject especially I agree with the RP crowd.
The fact remains though, this election is between two people: John McCain and Barack Obama. If you write in Ron Paul's name or even if you vote for Bob Barr or any one of the other candidate's, while I can understand and even empathize with your reasons for doing it, it is still throwing your vote away. So the question then is, who would you rather have as president and who would give less money away to corporations and, more importantly, not raise taxes. There is only one answer to that: John McCain. After he is elected I welcome all the RP folks to rejoin the Republican party and work with us to help persuade McCain and others on some of the issues many of us disagree with him on. (And no, the war is not one of those. You're welcome to oppose the war and I'm glad you at least have a cogent reason for doing so, but you're still in the minority on this one. If that's your #1 issue go join the CodePinkers and MoveOn.org crowd. For those of you Ron Paul folks who are disappointed in the Republican Party because we've begun spending like Democrats Light then, again, please feel free to join us because I think most of us agree with you).

Posted by: WFP on October 31, 2008 11:27 AM
7. WFP, fair enough.

I understand where you're coming from, and even though I'm gonna throw Barr my vote - not that it matters here anyway - I respect what you're getting at.

Posted by: Andrew Brown on October 31, 2008 12:22 PM