October 25, 2012
Does Jay Inslee Think Gregoire's Management Is Fat?
That's what the former 1st district congressman has been
During last week's gubernatorial debate, Democrat Jay Inslee said no governor in
Washington state history has implemented lean management techniques. "There is no
reason on this green Earth that we have not embraced the efficiency measures in state
government that have been so successful in private enterprise," said Inslee, adding "these
have not been used under any predecessor, Republican or Democrat."
And the opposite of lean is, as we all know, fat.
Governor Gregoire is
by Inslee calling her management fat, understandably, in my view.
Does Inslee not know about those Gregoire initiatives? Or does he consider them
failures? He should tell us, and the sooner the better.
(As I understand it, a man in our society should never imply that anything about a woman is
fat, unless he wants to make a permanent enemy of her.)
Posted by Jim Miller at October 25, 2012
08:56 AM | Email This
1. But you see, we must understand that in the flavor of the Clinton era it all depends of what the meaning of 'lean' is. Surely you don't think that the D definition of this word is akin to the R definition. :)
Off Topic "sort of".
I just tried to access Rob McKenna's site from my work. I was denied. i could access Jay Inslee's. Strange. My company also supports gay marriage because it seems right because how someone has sex shouldn't be restricted. But that is only becasue of BS "they love each other" blather. Sex is not love. Sex is choice. You decide to do it.....74 folks I hope win or lose you push to make sex with goats as free as sex with horses. it's just about sexual orientation.....hahahaha. Sex apitate has nothing to do with marriage.
3. Ha! Isn't it cute when politicians try to use business terms when they speak? They're like little kids in a room full of adults...so full of self-importance as they try to sound like they know what they are talking about.
ROI has been used for some time.
Then a couple of years ago it was all about Economy of Scale. That was a good one.
OK kiddies...time to run along home now. The grown-ups have work to do.
re 1: You are absolutely correct. A LEAN statewide healthcare system as run by Republcans would be non-existent and a LEAN one run by Democrats (depending on the Democrat)would be free to the user, but expensive to those funding it.
The basic concept of LEAN is to provide the best product to the end-user with the least amount of waste in its production. The catch is, it has to be within what the end-user is willing or able to pay for.
5. re 2: You sound like you are sexually confused. Maybe you should see a counselor or therapist.
Jim writes, "the opposite of lean is, as we all know, fat."
True. But he never said it's the opposite of lean, just that it's not lean. Most people, for example, are neither lean nor fat.
Not sure what the story is here, but it's reassuring to see that you're on top of it.
Inslee is showing himself as the pot calling the kettle black (no racist remarks, si vous plait). No credibility ! Check his voting record in Congress to verify that. He voted for both the Stimulus and Obamacare - two of the largest ominbus Federal spending programs ever enacted.
As I stated before, if he were mistakenly elected governor, he would be more of a big government spender than Gregoire. He subscribes to Paul Krugman and the far left ideological economist's take on spending, which is dead wrong and I'll stand by that.
8. Not sexually confused and why do you care? Isn't it "my choice"? I get my orgasms from being with a woman...are you saying gays should see a therapist? Wow...maybe they need to be put in a "home" too? Man, I thought you were progressive.
On this one, you are totally off the mark (or Inslee isn't using the correct term -- one or the other). LEAN Manufacturing is a Quality Management approach (think Toyota Production System). It focuses on the Seven Wastes, and has been successfully implemented/adapted to American Companies and even non-profit organizations (like Virginia Mason Production System).
I am assuming that this is what Inslee is referring to and it is a good idea. The opposite of LEAN is continuing with the seven wastes in state government. At a time when government should be focusing on eliminating wastes, LEAN is a good approach to undertake.
I would throw out there also Eli Goldratt's Theory of Constraints (TOC) as another model to consider. In it the three measures of an organization are: (1) Inventory, (2) Operating Expense, and (3) Throughput. One focuses on the "Herbie" (i.e., limiting constraint in a system) and works on one of those three measures. They reduce inventory (think of queue of people waiting for a service as it applies to state government), they reduce Operating Expense while holding the other two measures from increasing, or they reduce the throughput (time from start to completion) of a product/service.
Maybe you were trying to be humorous, which I hope is the case. I would suggest any Republican should focus on implementing LEAN (or TOC). It fits with their philosophy of limited government.
10. If you starve the beast long enough, it will necessarily become 'lean'. What we here in Washington state don't seem to understand is that we keep feeding the beast in Olympia and in turn it gluttonly accepts the hand outs and becomes the bloated mess it is now. Use some common sense and you'll get a leaner, more useful (federal and state) government.
11. Yes tc but---I am assuming that this is what Inslee is referring to and it is a good idea. The opposite of LEAN is continuing with the seven wastes in state government. At a time when government should be focusing on eliminating wastes, LEAN is a good approach to undertake.---- So why isn't jay smart enough to explain what he means. Sounds to me like Jay heard somebody use this term and borrowed it without understanding the term himself. Jay just isn't smart enough to cumunicate well.
12. Jack Sprat could eat no fat.
His wife could eat no lean.
And so between them both, you see,
They licked the platter clean.
Yeah...but 'ol Jack is not on the ballot and which candidate looks 'leaner'. :)
...and I'm not talking about Maria Cantwell...haha
14. Well, he could have called her "fat-headed," no problem with that one. But other than that, could be problematic.
15. Why does Mckenna not think that and itstead wants tax payers to pay more?
"What is Jay Inslee Talking About?"
That article's headline pretty much sums up practically everything Inslee says. Secret sauce? blahdee blah blah
@12, second verse!
So Jack went to the City Hall
and pounded on the door.
"THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" was his cry
as he demanded more.
18. Why does Mckenna not think that and itstead wants tax payers to pay more?
Probably because McKenna already employs principles and "lean" isn't new to him like it is Inslee. Given the history of the Democrat party in this state (and Nationally), we all know who makes the "tax payers to pay more". Phony libertarian's like lysander are hilarious.
19. Obese would be a better description of blue state spending and government expansion under Gregoire and other Obama sycophants.
20. I think that the biggest increase in government power, spending, and influence over lives both real and corporate was the creation of the whole 'Homeland Security' business. Yet, I never hear conservatives even display any interest in it.
If lean is not new to McKenna (which I beleive) why is he proposing to increase state spending to cover education rather than making cuts elsewhere?
And given the history of both parties, we all appearantly do NOT know who makes tax payers pay more. Some us still are under the illusion that republicans are better.
Lastly... What makes you call me a phony libertarian?
22. For once you and I agree on something, monkey @ 20. Homeland security has far too much authority and funding. Of course that could be said for all each and every Executive Branch department. Several provide no value and should be eliminated altogether, such as Education and Energy. Others (like Agriculture, HUD, HHS) are little but dispensers of welfare. Really the only agencies with constitutional mandates are Defense, Justice and State.
Hopefully DHS will be streamlined and reduced in complexity and spending by a Romney/Ryan administration. Bush/Cheney created this Department in the first place and Obama/Biden added on to it. Until the size of Federal Government and Departments/Agencies is sharply reduced along with the Federal Budget, bloated government will continue to yield corruption as rampant as it is now in some cases, now matter what party controls it - the modern-day progressive virus will remain virulent.
Although Democrats are more corrupt when it comes to special intersts and more spending, the Republicans are just as prone to succumbing to the temptation of corruption to line their pockets.
24. Gregoire's appointed head agencies are more top heavy that anything I've seen yet. Lean? Only at the front lines, where FTE's have been stolen to pad the numbers of cronies at the top, who hire consultants for any real decisions.