September 23, 2012
No, seriously. It does
happen occasionally, and the particular circumstances are instructive.
The Kirkland Reporter, a weekly newspaper covering the suburb where I live,
just published this explanation and
Here's the lead paragraph:
Two weeks ago the Kirkland Reporter ran a column from Andrew Villeneuve in the editorial
slot of the opinion page. Villeneuve is a regular columnist in our other papers, such
as the Redmond Reporter. He is a Redmond High School graduate, so seeing his words
in his hometown newspaper takes on more meaning for those to the east. We at the
Kirkland Reporter do not publish Villeneuve's columns regularly, as his columns are usually
very partisan and we do not have a conservative columnist to present the other side.
We feel we have a good pulse on the Kirkland community and what our readers want.
Our stance on this topic is not one that was known to the interim editor, who was in place
during the first two weeks September. Both longtime editorial staff members were out
of the office on maternity and paternity leave during that time.
Note, please, that the newspaper says it doesn't ordinarily publish such columns because
they don't think their readers want hyper-partisan columns. They believe that such columns
would be bad for their business, especially without balancing columns.
And that's interesting because so many news organizations seem determined to offend their
conservative and moderate readers and viewers, who, after all, are in the majority nationally.
If the Kirkland Reporter can figure that out, why can't, for example, the Seattle
Times or NBC?
Cross posted at
Jim Miller on Politics.
they were discussing.
PS - I hope both new babies are doing well.)
Posted by Jim Miller at September 23, 2012
03:11 PM | Email This
1. Because Kirkland is so avant garde and one of the most desirable towns in the country in which to reside. They (the City and it's leaders and supporters) GET IT! :)
Gee... that little fringe left slimeball still working out of mom and dad's basement? It's astounding anyone would carry his version of Pravda Izvestia.
Hey Andy... do us a favor and provide the link here in the comments to the column you wrote trashing your fellow fringe-left nutters for THEIR efforts at trashing democracy with their bogus return of God and Israel to the DCC Platform vote.
What's that? Didn't write one? Hypocrites don't write fairly?
Nah. Didn't think so.
Next up, through the miracle of HD DVD tecnology, Jim will analyze every story shown in The Springfield Shopper, once the 20th Anniversary Boxed Set of The Simpsons becomes available on Blu-Ray.
(And, of course, nothing is too trivial for Commisar Hinton to enforce the Party line, but we knew that already.)
4. So.... what part of his op/ed is incorrect?
Leftists lack the ability to respond with truth, reason and/or ideas, and thus can only offer mindless ridicule.
It is sort of like their president attempting to defend his policies and record. He obviously can't, so he attacks Romney.
Thank you for continuing to call attention to the duplicity and outright dishonesty of the nauseating NW media.
re2: "It's astounding anyone would carry his version of Pravda Izvestia."
Wasn't it George W. Bush who looked into Vladimir Putin's eyes and pronounced him to be his soulmate?
Can anyone point to anything in the article that is factually incorrect? You can't -- unless you lie -- which Republicans have no problem with.
8. I'm going to go out on the limb here and assert that what made this story interesting was contained in the headline; "Newspaper Apologizes". Those who want to argue about the truth of what was written are being obtuse.
9. re 9: That's ridiculous.
10. re 8: That's ridiculous.
Sound Politics is now "moderate?"
12. how about progressive republican ? SP varies from conservative to moderate/progressive republican, depending on the author.
13. Can anyone point to anything in the article that is factually incorrect?
Well, first I'd actually have to give a damn what he had to say. And I don't.
What the PI did not understand is that people were just looking for reasonable balance. No one expected 50/50, but at the end it was just ridiculous. The Seattle Times is going down the same path. I did point out loss of conservative balance on the editorial page and the tendency towards lopsided general reporting when I cancelled my subscription and the Times' attitude was "So what, who needs you".
Perhaps the most telling bit from this Kirkland Reporter story is that there must have been feed back from the subscriber base and, unlike the Times, the Kirkland Reporter is interested in keeping their subscribers.
Hah, not even registering on the radar. No one takes Andrew seriously. And no one takes the media seriously.
News media trustworthiness is at an all time low. These are partisan cheerleaders, not serious reporters. And the commingling of editorials and reportage further complicates the matter. Both think they are the other.
16. Anyone with half a brain would agree with you guys. But anyone with more than half a brain would not.
17. The leftist media writes and broadcasts for the benefit of indoctrinated idiots like commenter 16, who if he had a brain would probably take it out and play with it.
The problems with Leftists isn't the lack of brains. It's the lack of common sense.
19. @16 - the problem is that self-righteous people like you lack common sense and are too narrow minded and reactionary.
Paradoxical Quote of The Day From Ben Stein:
"Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."
Now add this, "Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens."
Think about it when you vote in November !
21. What I find hilarious is the lamestream media's latest meme that Romney's 5 point plan to remedy the disasterous 4 year term of President downgrade is "not specific enough". This from the same brain-dead lame stream media that was more than willing to eat up 4th grade sloganeering like "Hope and change" and "Yes we can" from a wholly unqualified candidate back in 2008. Obama is a total failure and an embarrassment that will go down in the annals of history of this country as such.
True, 18 & 19, but let's take this a couple of steps further.
Leftists lack knowledge of history, given their universal support for a political system (socialism) that has abjectly failed wherever implemented.
They also lack moral values, due to their support of infanticide and homosexual "marriage".
Leftists lack the ability to evaluate, in that they so easily adopt their media's talking points without verifying the authenticity of blatent and continual falsehoods.
They lack honesty, given their willingness to support totally flawed candidates and political positions while condemning opposing candidates and views for minor improprities.
Leftists lack the ability to reason, due to the fact they so willingly hand matters of regulatory authority over to the government.
They also lack integrity, in that they fully support a totally failed president while bashing his successor, a man whose record was quite good until confronted and compromised by a hard-left congress.
Leftists lack personal initiative, given they demand the government reward they and their comrades' laziness by appropriating and redistributing the labors of others.
And they lack fortitude in that they so willingly trade their constitutional liberties for government crumbs.
And there are oh so many more.
re 22: The a priori assumptions that you use to support your talking points are false:
- due to their support of infanticide and homosexual "marriage". -- False
- in that they so easily adopt their media's talking points without verifying the authenticity of blatent and continual falsehoods. -- False
- given their willingness to support totally flawed candidates and political positions while condemning opposing candidates and views for minor improprities. -- False
- due to the fact they so willingly hand matters of regulatory authority over to the government. -- False
- they fully support a totally failed president while bashing his successor, a man whose record was quite good until confronted and compromised by a hard-left congress. False.
Every point that you've used to support your biases is a falsehood, and all but one of them are true of your side, not mine.
@23 - You took the low information voter route and failed to support any of your false claims with facts. Your biases have nothing behind them and cannot be taken seriously.
Do you have anything besides an empty reactionary response to put up ?
"Low Information" voters like 23 is why we find ourselves stuck with the "leaders" we have now. I laughed when I read a recent Drudge story on noted "shock jock" Howard Stern, who recounted excerpts of on-street interviews his contemporaries conducted with self-described Obama supporters. What was "shocking" was the responders' total lack of awareness of what was going on around them. Some believed Romney was a Muslim, Obama a Mormon. Others believed Paul Ryan was black and the Democrat VP nominee. 23 seems a good fit with that crowd.
re 24 and 25 -- "Do you have anything besides an empty reactionary response to put up ?"
Yes, I do, but I'm not going to that sort of effort when all you are posting is your own benighted opinions with no facts of your own besides some anecdotal information collected by Howard Stern on the streets of New York.
It's transparent that you are taking our talking points against you and attempting to redirect them at us. But using the Drudge Report and Howard Stern as your information sources is hilarious.
27. Not nearly as hilarious as leftists quoting NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, NYT, WA PO, LAT or the Seattle Times. Those "news" sources are the real joke.
re 27: If you reject all reputable news sources and depend, instead, on things such as Howard Stern and right wing websites for your information, then it is no wonder that you guys are losing support.
You appear to the average person as an ideological crank, not as a serious person.
@28 - You have no credibility and are no average person.
@27 Don't feed the low information trolls.
If I'm a 'low information' voter, then you are a 'no information' voter.
Good luck with your degree from Howard and Matt's University of Really True Stuff.
31. Rasmussen Reports recently released survey results showing 60% of Americans now reject the Marxist media's propaganda, leaving only mindless leftists (like 30) and low information fools as believers.
herb pease lives in a marxist bubble and probably has posters of Che Guavarra on his ceiling and believes Stalin was one of the good leaders in the 20th century and does not even know what he stands for like a typical Occu-pooper.
Too bad the latest polls by CBS/Quinnipiac and NBC/WSJ are throw aways - they oversampled Democrats by 10% and project a turnout like 2008 - not happening. What the public will have is an unrepresentative sample of the electorate on Nov 6th if this keeps up. Beware of the forthcoming backlash...
33. I really want to win this new phone.......
34. @33 - if you get food stamps and disability - you are in the running. Some badge of honor, from the deadbeat President.
35. @33 - if you get food stamps and disability - you are in the running. Some badge of honor, from the deadbeat President.