September 10, 2012
Welcome Back, Carlson
As almost all of you
know, John Carlson is back at a revived KVI.
And he has already shown me why we need him on the air, at a time when he is likely to
For example, this morning Carlson drew our attention to something significant because
it didn't happen (like the
dog that did not bark in the night,
in the famous Sherlock Holmes story).
This year, the Washington Education Association has not called their usual (and
illegal) one-school-system strike. Carlson says that the WEA has not called a strike
because the union does not want to hurt their candidate for governor, Jay Inslee, and does not
want to help the charter school initiative. I think he's right on both.
(Now, KTTH should figure out a way to give
at least another
hour. Or, even better, KCTS should figure out a way to give him a weekly show.
A little more diversity wouldn't hurt that station.)
Posted by Jim Miller at September 10, 2012
12:32 PM | Email This
1. Great to have KVI back as a conservative talk station. And David Boze definately needs more air time. He is a terrific host. Always well prepared, entertaining topics and guests and a great sense of humor. Limiting his show to one hour is a real waste of talent.
2. I would still prefer to hear Bryan Suits, but know that he won't be back at KVI. Carlson or Boze or someone though needs to cover state politics, which has been absent for the last few years. Cutting pre-recorded Hannity back to two hours and increase Boze to two hours would be a step in the right direction.
3. Cutting Hannity entirely would be fine by me.
Off topic, but I'm hoping you'll soon be posting something akin to How Much Did The Ryan Visit Cost The 99 Percent?
shortly as VP candidate Paul Ryan breezed into the Puget Sound for some easy Puget cash this afternoon during rush hour.
Your vigilance on such pressing concerns as "arrange the timing of their trips to reduce those costs." is likely to have much greater effect if you keep the heat on one of your own.
Of course your previous post on the topic of Obama's visit had nothing to do with partisan politics and was focused on this pressing bi-partisan recurring issue.
5. Any word on when Mr. Carlson will resume agitating for the Republicans to run him for statewide office again? That was a staple of his broadcasts during the heyday of KVI. (I'm sure the Democrats hope he will; they won't have Dino Rossi to defeat anymore, after all.)
Another reason for not striking would be that teachers, perhaps even more than Jim Miller himself, are aware of the current budget concerns in WA state education.
Why not address this issue: Why should charter schools and, in particular, schools that teach exclusively on the internet, get the same money from the government per student, that a regular public school gets?
They don't have the same sort of upkeep as a real school with an actual campus. So they don't deserve the same amount of funds per student.
Another thing I've noticed is taht Saltherring and Ragnar don't comment on pudges posts anymore because he said that they express themselves in a 'silly' way.
Isn't that a waste of taxpayer money?
Carlson is a lot more sane than Hannity, Rush, Savage, Ingraham, Monson, Coulter, Lapin or Malkin, These guys prove that paranoid schizophrenia is viable persona on the right.
What I wonder about is the conscience of smart righties like Carlson and Medved. My hunch is that these folks areraher like von Braun .. they enjoy getting paid or they enjoy watching their rockets fly,
Cross posted on The Ave if any of you dare to comment there!
Since you raised the subjects f the teachers union, the teacher's strike in Chicago pisses me off.
In effect, the teacher's union, WHATEVER their goals, is attempting to blackmail the Democratic Party by staging a strike during the 2012 election for President.
The Republicans must enjoy this greatly!
The real message here is the history of teachers unions. As our society downgraded the status of the K-12 teacher from professionals to hourly workers, the unions responded by acting like a trade union for any other manufacturer. This movement,combining Republican ideas about not paying public employees with Democratic ideas about equalizing education to a common denominator , has been a disaster.
To make matters worse, as private sector unions have faded, the teachers unions have become a central support for the Democratic Party. This is most evident in their adamant efforts to depict charter schools as some sort of corporatist, Republican boondoggle. To the unions, the issue is not privatization, it is the loss of trade union like contracts.
The unions opposition to charters ignores the policy of the Obama administration. Four years ago, showing an incredible Profile in Courage, the President appointed Arnie Duncan. The former Superintendent of the Chicago schools now holds the position of Secretary of Education. In that position, Duncan has supported the unions but insisted that they change the union work rules to permit teachers to return to the status of true professionals. Under the reform rules, teachers lose seniority protection, daily and hourly pay, and freedom from pay tied to evaluation. The unions have resisted. As they see it, the union's job is to protect the status quo.
We face the same issue here in WA state. Rob McKenna, the Republican Candidate, has proposed true reform. His proposals excited me enout to decide to vote for McKenna, even though I greatly admire Jay Inslee his Democratic opponent. Unfortunately, McKenna, a Republican, has shown that he can not and will not follow through on his reform plans .. McKenna's budget would leave his promises to rot in the fields tainted by Radical Republican Ryanomic Rhetoric of "Smaller Government ." As a result of this phoniness, McKenna lost the endorsement he should have had .. from the League of Education voters. .. and he has lost my vote.
So, Chicago teachers .. WTF? Is your strike worth helping sell the Romney Ryan ticket to folks who both support unions and value eduction reform?
Cross posted at The Ave:
9. This is why we needed John Carlson back on air. I received such an education from him on politics over the years. This is just one more reason why.
Carlson is good on the air and is the 2nd best local next to Suits. However, like Dino Rossi, I would discourage him from ever running for public office again.
What say you Puget Sound ?
The-Ave - Just in case you've missed it, here's Tom Lehrer's tribute to Wernher von Braun
. I've always like these lines:
"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun.
(Lehrer's "Folk Song Army" is even better, in my opinion.)
12. KVI needs to bring Bryan Suits back, he was and is better than anyone they have.
von Braun is one of the most disgusting people of the 2oth century. The worst of it is how much of a hero he is now in Huntsville!
I suspect the same is true of media demgogues like Lapin, Hannity, Reilly, , and Medved. These guys do it for money.
How can any conscientious American stomach Dick Morris?
The sad thing about your side is that interesting rational voices .. whether that is McCain, Will, Michael Young, Simpson, the Goldwater family, Huntsman, Safire (sadly gone), or even McKenna are drowned out by these howling money hounds.
14. Hello there. I ran across your current blog site the particular on the internet. This is a great report. Let me make sure you take a note of it and go back to find out more of the tips. Thank you for the particular article. it is going to certainly return.
"...KCTS should figure out a way to give him a weekly show. A little more diversity wouldn't hurt that station."
Yeah, that's a real problem with most media outlets. There is very little diversity of opinion on PBS, for sure. It usually follows a strict progressive and leftist opinion policy on all its "news" efforts and documentaries.
If you check through SP archives you'll find I've seldom commented on pudge's postings...for reasons I've previously stated.
The Ave.US @ #7:
Could you please point to the proof that Hannity, Rush, Savage, Ingraham, Monson, Coulter, Lapin or Malkin have paranoid schizophrenia? One example for each would be fine.
@7 - Your main issue with Hannity, Rush, Savage, Ingraham, Monson, Coulter, Lapin or Malkin is their ideology and that they are not PC. What about Ed Schultz, Randi Rhodes, Chris Matthews, Maddow, Bill Press - they are mentally stable and not paranoid.
Really ? Nice that we know that you live in an alternate universe.
19. It's going to take me more than a week to wander down the dial to KVI. They've made some classic dunderhead moves over the years and I've moved on from them. I may wander back, but I'm not going to "get a thrill up my leg" (ala Chris Matthews) about Carlson being back there and run back like Pavlov's dog based solely on their decision to return to their senses and go back to a talk radio format. Just my two cents.
20. You are my aspiration , I have few web logs and often run out from to post .
21. Everyone loves my personal Adirondack items substantial with gucci accenti . they are the many good gucci clothing accessories & shoes previously had. I'm so great returning these businesses . They are not only good , they are smart-looking a bit too. Positively another good goods .
Spot on KDS
I've always been a great fan of John Carlson. Although I know the morning slot is probably not his first choice given the early hour...(Kirby! we miss ya)
Now with Carlson on the air we need to get Bryan back. With a good producer he can do well.
Maybe live and local radio talk CAN exist outside of Sports Talk.
, [url=http://hrctulrgbvkg.com/]hrctulrgbvkg[/url], [link=http://xazebomgrzsu.com/]xazebomgrzsu[/link], http://kzvuovxdhukq.com/