August 30, 2012
KVI is coming back!
After 20 months of oldies programming (not really sure what they have been doing) KVI AM 570 will return to conservative talk on Tuesday September 4.
Long-time Seattle leader John Carlson will be on week days from 5 to 9 am. Also Laura Ingraham and Lars Larsen of Vancouver, WA-Portland, Oregon. To the shame of all, Michael Savage will be on every night.
That makes three local conservative talk stations. KTTH AM 770 has the king Rush Limbaugh, local host David Boze and locally based national host Michael Medved; and some people listen to Sean Hannity and Glen Beck. AM 1590 has excellent national shows - William Bennett, Dennis Prager, Dennis Miller, Hugh Hewitt, Lars Larsen (apparently moving) and Mark Levin. It's great to have John Carlson back; I knew he was around, but whatever station he was on didn't get on my radio presets.
Seattle PI blog
Cross posted at Economic Freedom.
Posted by Ron Hebron at August 30, 2012
03:40 PM | Email This
1. But is Bryan Suits coming back? I haven't missed Carlson.
2. Yeah, Savage is sort of the right leaning version of Keith Olbermann. Except no one could be that screwed up.
I'd rather hear Bryan Suits or John Gibson in the morning (John
C. was doing just fine on KOMO). Savage is OK - his story telling is unmatched and no way he should be compared to Olby (bathtub boy). He gets carried away and is not necessarily a team player - he does not mince his words and does not cowtow to political correctness. Ingraham is good and Jerry Doyle would be interesting also - maybe a younger milder version of Savage.
KVI still has suspect management, especially if Clark Howard is gone and Suits doesn't return. They should learn that the audience would be higher if they had a change of pace part of the day. Don't be surprised if KVI has to change format again within the next two years - if the political winds undergo a sea change.
Of course, I celebrate the return of KVI and additional sanity to Seattle airwaves.
I'm a bit disappointed that it's merely a venue for syndicated shows rather than the LOCAL hosts for which KVI was known.
5. Agreed about Savage, KDS. He's a bit of manic it would appear at times, but he was often entertaining to listen to nontheless- If he was in one of "those" moods where everything was a bloody rant, I would simply turn to another radio station.
Of all of the names put forward by Ron on this post, I probably listen to Beck and Medved (preferred of the bunch) the most. I wouldn't mind seeing a return of Brian Suits back to Seattle as well, but for whatever reason, I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.
6. Ever since Dori Monson's boss made him stop taking phone calls, I have been listening to Dennis Miller. It must drive David Boze crazy to do show prep and commute in to do a show that has 40 minutes of airtime.
7. I like John Carlson. But Brian Suits was the straw that stirred the drink on KVI. They need to get him back.
I can't wait for Carlson to continue with his brilliant comparison/contrast of the Utilitarians and the Reductionists and how these political/ethical stances affect our political discourse to this very day!
I'll bet you are all looking forward to it as much as I am!
The difference between Michael Savage and Keith Olberman is that unlike Olbermann, Savage speaks truth. And right now this nation needs a strong dose of truth...without the limp-wristed PC pandering.
Obongo and his Jerry Mahoney media have been lying to us for four years. Now the truth needs to be told so no one has an excuse for voting for a Marxist traitor.
10. re 9:Pudge was right. Your words are 'silly'. You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you on your big red hiney.
Great news. I can put 570 back in my pre-set stations. I used to listen to John Carlson regularly. He covers local politics well, good to have him back.
I agree with previous posters on Bryan Suits. Not sure what he's doing now, but would love to have him back too.
His name is Obama. Childish terms like those frequently used (yes, yes, I know, 'but they do it too!') serve no purpose.
I haven't listened to Carlson as much since his move to KOMO, but I'm looking forward to it. Now if only one of the stations could get Suits, Boze, Carlson and Medved all in the same place, I'd rarely change the dial...
@8 and @10 - you impress me as being a KPTK- 1090 Progressivist listener. Nice try to pass yourself off as a non-progressivist.
From now on, I'll refer to the current prez as Obama, just as he was referred to continuously in the excellent documentary "2016 Obama's America".
I do know the truth ("I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6"). I also know who is the father of all lies and of all liars. Can you name him? Which of these do you answer to?
15. Why do I suspect that Fisher is changing KVI back to conservative talk because they were bleeding money with the other formats? Since I don't *know* that they were losing money, perhaps the reason is truly what they said and that people need a place to hear about the election. Maybe I'm just cynical.
To read the station's history, it arguably sounds like the medium (radio) just isn't as profitable as it once was. Honestly, I only listen to talk radio during commutes, I can hardly hear a radio on a jobsite during the day, so I don't hear a lot of the mid-day programming too often and frequently just plug in the iPod to the radio anymore since Suits left. Most people I know have a similar routine.
Obviously I can't speak for everybody, and I don't assume to, but that might have something to do with KVI's frequent format changes.
17. I tried listening to 1590 today, but it was mostly static down here in Olympia. 570 KVI comes in ok, and 770 KTTH is loud and clear. There used to be a lot of choices for right-of-center local radio in the area but now it's basically down to an hour of Dave Boze and Dori Monson.
@17 - Streaming internet radio has caused local radio listenership to decrease. The Seattle talk radio market is relatively weak. I find that Portland has a better variety - also don't forget Sirius. KVI will help some. However, it lacks in local talent meaning - Bryan Suits is missing.
He still lives here and does a weekly talk show on KFI - LA and also occasionally fills in for Andy Dean
19. Bryan Suits is in San Diego now I believe. I was down there with my wife's family and her father listens to him regularly. I heard his voice and recognized it immeadiatly. I really miss him; he was one of the best to come out of Seattle.
20. I used to receive Rush Limbaugh loud and clear on 570 KVI until they took their "holiday" from talk radio. Now we across the Sound (Kitsap & East Jefferson) have to put up with static and fadeout on 770 KTTH. I do, however, have little problem receiving KTTH in Longview and Ellensburg. KTTH needs to reposition its towers as it is missing much of its potential local audience.
Do ANY of you think Bryan Suits would come back to KVI after they did him wrong TWICE?
As much as I miss him (he was the reason I started listening to KVI, following him from KIRO)he would be a fool to come back to them. Instead of calling him Bryan Suits I would have to start calling him Charlie Brown...
I like Suits and miss hearing him, but he seems to be doing well enough where he is and he was screwed over by KVI when they pulled the rug out from under him.
Michael Savage, if anything is too independent as he scoffed at the GOP convention because not enough red meat was thrown out to indict Obama, while most others praised it.
He talks of things that most are hesitant to discuss and can be likened to a bull in a china shop at times. However, he is a keen intellect and has coined phrases like; compassionate conservative (stolen by Bush-43) and more recently - trickle up poverty and trickle down tyranny, in reference to the Obama regime, which came after the Bush regime.
I'm pretty sure Suits was not screwed over by Fisher...
IRRC he had a 4 year contract which he served less than one year of, by puling the rug out from under him, they owed him three years pay.
I presume they paid up.
24. Maybe so, but also think Suits now has a gig in San Diego and is on KFI - LA weekly besides filling in for Andy Dean on occasion - America Now (radio talk show). I heard him a few weeks ago there.
KVI had their chances with him. (I first heard him on KIRO in the evenings 7-10 about 10 yrs. ago).
25. KVI sucks. I'm tired of them constantly changing, flipping formats, and I'm still pissed they fired Bryan Suits twice, both times around Veteran's Day of all days. John's OK, but Lars is who'll make me tune in. But I'm not getting my hopes up things will stay. They have idiots for managers.
26. @28 - I tend to agree. KVI's reputation is tainted. Fisher management are weasels and if Bryan Suits returns, I hope it is on another station. Seattle is a mediocre radio market to begin with, thanks in part to the legacy of KVI.
@28 - I tend to agree. KVI's reputation is tainted. Fisher management are weasels and if Bryan Suits returns, I hope it is on another station. Seattle is a mediocre radio market to begin with, thanks in part to the legacy of KVI.
Oops - a subliminal typo @30 - I'll fess up, like Paul Ryan fessed up with his 4 hour instead of 3 hour marathon time.
28. Savage is great. He proves better than most how hateful, petty and ignorant the rabid right is.
@30 - Problem is, he is usually factual - which is kryptonite to the progressives.
When speaking of hateful, petty and ignorant and also prevaricators; you are ignoring your brethren - Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz, Mike Malloy, Farid Zakaria MSNBC, Andrea Mitchell, Randi Rhodes, Jeneane Garofalo and it all manifests itself in the Obama campaign - trying to run interference while he pushes his hate-filled radical statist agenda. Ayn Rand is spinning in her grave.
Bryan Suits is still living up here, his wife refuses to move to California again.
I was kind of startled that they didn't have him on the new line up, as someone else mentioned he does
have a contract with them.
I love his "Dark, Secret Place" radio show http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dark-Secret-Place-on-KFI-Los-Angeles/251484178221420 and really miss the morning show he use to do!