June 12, 2012
The BLF Warns About The Health Risks From Smoking Marijuana
The British Lung Foundation has just issued a report
summarizing the health risks from marijuana.
Here are the most sensational findings in a
Some studies have also suggested cannabis increases the chances of developing mental
health problems such as schizophrenia.
Almost 40% of the under-35s surveyed - the age group most likely to have smoked
it - thought cannabis was not harmful.
However, the BLF report warned that smoking one cannabis cigarette every day for a
year increases the chances of developing lung cancer by a similar amount as smoking
20 tobacco cigarettes each day for one year.
According to the BLF, there are many other health risks, too. (You can read about
them in the
I am passing this on without an endorsement. In an election year, I don't want to
take the weeks necessary to plow through all the papers listed in their footnotes.
(You can see my lukewarm reaction
I probably should have added that charities like the BLF have an incentive to exaggerate
risks, and sometimes succumb to that temptation.)
But I did think that you should know about this report, and I don't think it will be the
lead story in any of our newspapers, or appear on any of the local TV news
programs, even though it is highly relevant to some of our current political fights.
(If you do see the story, please let me know.)
(Fans of socialized medicine will be interested to know that Britain's
National Health Service
appears to approve of the report.)
Posted by Jim Miller at June 12, 2012
08:56 AM | Email This
Too bad both political parties are still opposing legalizing marijuana so that the smoking affects will be reduced. (cheaper weed = less smoked and more ingested).
Thankfully the Paul wing of the republican party is making progress and will hopefully be able to correct this injustice in the next 5 years or so.
We know that putting anything other than air into your lungs is bad, yet we attack cigarettes for just that, but MJ is good?
LOL, remember Lysander when I said the only reason you RP fools like him was for open use of drugs...
Thanks for proving my point.
3. I think my issue on the whole thing is why are tobacco and alcohol allowed but not these other things. Both can be very bad for you just like marijuana so how does the government draw the line. To me it seems pretty random. IMHO, to really have personal liberty it means the freedom to choose unwisely. Politicians would be better served using that frame of reference rather than focusing on the risks or benefits.
4. I don't know about anybody else, but personally I don't come to this blog to read Drug War bullshit.
5. Lots of perfectly legal things are bad for your health when used in excess. Those same things are safe in more moderate amounts. Marijuana is no different.
I'm shocked, shocked!, to find out that ingesting burning materials would be harmful to one's health.
Burning marijuana is not the only method of ingestion.
@Mike - I would say the reason tobacco & alcohol are legal is because we tried to make it illegal and it did not work. Taking something that was societally accepted and legal and trying to make it illegal is almost impossible. Marijuana has not been legal, but making it so will legitimize its use and make future sanctions against it (if needed) that much more difficult. This fact should make marijuana legalization subject to intense scrutiny, especially until all relevant health concerns are known.
When it comes to alcohol and tobacco, I think that there is a movement to slowly make it societally inappropriate. Only when (if) that happens can it be made illegal without a major crime wave. Given the known health related problems cause by both (lung & liver issues, drunk driving, etc) I look forward to when people will choose to avoid either, and not be forced by the government to do so.
Whether or not this is the right thing to do is a matter of opinion.
One can support drug legalization without it being a drug user themselves.
Is it hard for you to understand that supporting liberty means supporting things that help others not just yourself?
The arguement for legalization is not that it should be legal because it does not harm your lungs. Any honest person already knows that smoke is bad for your lungs regardless of what is burning.
The arguement for legalization is that we should have the freedom to harm ourselves.
You are right, we tried making alcohol illegal and it did not work. You are wrong in saying that marijuana is different because it has not been legal.
It has been legal and in fact we have found the same problems we created by making alcohol illegal. That is the message people supporting drug legalization have been trying to make for so decades now.
Basically all the problems people associate with illegal drugs is inherent in them being illegal, not with them being drugs.
Just so there is no misunderstanding: I put up this post because I thought the medical findings were of interest -- and should be of interest to almost everyone, regardless of their views on marijuana legalization.
It is -- though some of you may find this hard to believe -- not an issue I care much about.
But I do think we should all have solid information on the risks and benefits (if any) of marijuana use. And from what I can tell, that BLF report -- which I hope every single one of you will read -- provides some of that information.
Appearantly it is also news today that diesel fumes can cause cancer.
While many Paulbots obviously ingested fumes from something, or else they wouldn't support such a blithering moron; few normal people make a habit out of drawing as many cancer fumes into their lungs for as long as possible as part of the product use.
And there are other ways of ingesting diesel fuel.
14. Actually, there are studies confirming that one glass of red wine per day is beneficial to your heart health. So all drinking cannot be lumped together. For some people who are genetically compromised, one drink can result in alcoholism, but normally moderate drinking - except while driving or operating machinery - is not as harmful as smoking anything.
Good to see that this will at least repudiate those who say that smoking weed is not dangerous compared to smoking tobacco. Either is bad for you.
Personally I've never understood the argument for the legality of smoking anything around anyone. Smoke does not stay within boundaries and is therefore inherently incompatible with personal freedom.
Lastly, I'll just say that almost all of the potheads I know are wasteoids. They claim it doesn't effect them but they curiously don't have anywhere near the drive and motivation of most I know who don't smoke pot.
I know the diesel fumes thing has nothing to do with the debate on this thread. I was just posting it because it is related to the actual article this thread is generating from. Both articles are about studies that state what everyone already knew was obvious... breathing in smoke/fumes is bad for lungs.
sure it is good to have facts... I just do not see how these facts are new. Did you not know smoke was bad for your lungs?
17. The choomer in chief should be worried.
18. As Bart says....GET BENT!
Jim's post is an illustration of what goes wrong when fanatics distort science.
Here are the facts as I know thme:
1. there is no hard evidence that marijuana does harm .. to the lungs or anything else. However SMOKING marijuana will deliver a major carcinogen to your lungs. It is very likley that this increases the risk of cancer though we do not have formal proof and one study failed to find the expected effect.
2. Given the concern about smoking anything, there is no reason folks who want the marijuana experience can nto get it by eating marijuana brownies. We can also provide the active ingredient of marijuana is forms that do nto damage the lungs ... what do you think about marijuana soda?
3. The active ingredients in marijuana re not likely to be as harmful as other drugs in common use .. e.g Nyquil,booze, caffeine, etc.
4. Medical marijuana's effects are equaly vague. There is some known benefit but this can be provided by taking the active ingredient in safe forms that apparently do not interest the MJ fans.
5. Oddly, MJ fans are laregley on the left where the same folks hate big tobacco. If MJ is leglaized, who do they think will sell it?
20. If anyone here wants to read more about my arguments with the marijuana fanatis Lee at HorsesAss, try this link. http://handbill.us/?p=15747
Stoners at HA? That explains a lot.
Whatever, dude. There are studies out there that refutes the study you reference. It makes one stupid - so how many times have you gotten stupid in the last month ?
What about brain or lung cancer - no direct link- huh ? Yeah, I know you need to smoke it in copious amounts to have it happen.
I am for medical patients in pain having access to it - seems fair.
If it improves revenue for local governments, that would be a good thing.
I can say one thing is for sure. Calif and yes it's even showing up in our state. When they made MJ as a medical drug. The rate of car crashes has gone up. Not saying boose is any better. Just to many people love to use it when their driving.
I think you would be surprised to find a large percentage of drug war opponents are republicans. And that number are growing as the left continues to not aid their cause despite promising to do so.
That the GOP does not want to embrace this group who is fighting for SMALLER government is baffling.
25. I say let all the stupid lefty hippies smoke all the weed they want. That way they will be too stoned to remember to vote.
26. Zorch: Would it not be better to encourage the 'stupid lefty hippies' that the right is a better place for them since they wwant smaller government like us?
27. I think you would be surprised to find a large percentage of drug war opponents are republicans.
I count myself among those, at least for marijuana. I certainly don't think anyone should be imprisoned for drug use either, even stronger drugs. If they commit crimes to obtain them, then that's a different story.
28. Known dozens of daily pot smokers throughout my life. Never known a one who accomplished anything useful or lived a normal, stable life. Most eventually retreated into a solitary, delusional and somewhat paranoid existance.
On Republicans (and Democrats)
Wwe agree on this one. As with global warming, evolution, and vaccines, sceince is vedry clear. Denying sceince .. whether it is something done by Republicans in regard to marijuana as a dangerous drug or dems who think it is a magic cure ... is stupid.
Worse, as a scientist, I get frustrated because we need your trust to make oue work useful. A Dem post fanatic, like Lee at HorsesAss, hurts ALL the issues where science should come first!
30. Hi there, You've done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.
Leg contact met duizenden geile vrouwen, mannen en koppels voor directe sexdating nederland
je kunt je gratis aanmelden en direct daten met iemand bij jou uit de buurt check de nu en start jouw genot vandaag nog!