September 14, 2011
Stop the car tab tax
Those living in Seattle are probably aware of Proposition 1, the city council's proposal to increase car tabs $60 per vehicle for the next ten years. A new group called Citizens Against Raising Car Tabs (CART) has organized to fight this tax. They are having a fundraiser Tuesday the 20th from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm at the University Heights Community Center (5031 University Way NE). If you want to stop this new tax, please attend or donate via PayPal on the CART website.
Posted by Andy MacDonald at September 14, 2011
10:28 PM | Email This
1. Good luck with that. Seattle is run like a kingdom. The mayor and his round table decide things, and if it's illegal, they just ignore the law because after, all, it's SEATTLE!
2. I disagree entirely. The car tab tax should be raised, but not by just %60 - but by around $500. In addition the gas tax should be moved up to around $4 a gallon, and just to make sure hybrid/electrical cars don't escape from taxes they should be charged an extra $1,000 a year in car tab/excise tax. The reason? Simple: If we are going to get the poor and lower middle class out of their cars and back into teeming tenements and on mass transit - where they belong! - we must make the price of personal transport very expensive. Up until recently only the wealthy/powerful had the ability to enjoy personal transport, detached homes, and bucolic country parks. As it should be. There is nothing worse than driving down the road in my nice German sedan and being surrounded by yahoos in pickup trucks and beat up old Honda's. Get those icky people back where they belong. If they want to ride bicycles, that is ok, they are all too fat anyway.
3. Hey, only ONE of my Hondas is icky!
4. Weird days when Sound Politics is advertising a group spearheaded by some left-leaning social justice folks in Seattle.
5. If you are subject to the tax, a better solution is to move out of Seattle.
Raise it. Keep raising it. The people of Seattle that elect these bozos are getting exactly what they deserve. You are the ones listening to these pretentious prats and voting them into office. I don't have a ton of sympathy. I remember the days of tabs that were exorbitantly expensive. Where you would cringe to get that bill in the mail. They couldn't do transportation back when we were getting butt raped to license our cars. There isn't any difference now. Crappy roads, crappy traffic, inept planners.
I say raise the hell out of the tabs for Seattle. In 3 years you all will be saying, "Where'd the money go? Why are there so many potholes? How come I'm subsidizing a rail system that transports a super minority or transit user? Etc?"
. If you are subject to the tax, a better solution is to move out of Seattle
One of these days, you'll all wonder why the city is a wreck because you ran out of taxpayers.
Plus you can sure forget the poor, that lib's love to talk about. They will have left long before the city hits the bottom. Because your taxing chased them away.
For anyone who has never read it, Atlas Shrugged is a great book by Ayn Rand.
This is the single best thing you can do...vote with your wallet. Let those who want the services, pay for the services.
I just want the GuhVermin, out of my back pocket!!