September 03, 2010
Teachers union agrees that Senator Patty didn't save 3,000 teacher jobs
Senator Patty Murray claimed she was saving 3,000 Washington teachers from layoffs by spending billions of borrowed dollars (nationwide; $208 million here). It was discovered and reported here that about 500 teachers received layoff notices in May and most of those notices were rescinded, so very few teachers faced job loss in early August when Senator Patty performed her heroic rescue. See SENATOR PATTY HEROICALLY SAVES JOBS NOT THREATENED and Part II.
The Washington Education Association president rushes to her defense: Senator Murray meant to say that janitors, bus drivers, lunchroom workers, counselors, nurses, teacher aides and administrative assistants would be saved from layoff or empty positions filled.
Seattle Times Letters
Recent reports in The Seattle Times on the impact of the educator jobs bill overlook the number of education-support professional positions lost over the past 18 months.
Hundreds of school counselors, nurses, bus drivers, teacher aides, janitors and administrative assistants have either been laid off or their positions were not filled due to attrition. As a result, we will see too many schools this fall with too many students and too few adults to mentor, coach, mentor, teach and support those students.
-- Mary Lindquist, president, Washington Education Association, Federal Way
In this time of slow economy and cut backs what should be the priority in our schools? Teachers or bus drivers? Only 47% of school employees are in the classroom. Should we spend money we don't have for staff who are not in the classroom?
Senator Patty got the bill passed on false pretenses. Now the money can be spent for almost anything, as we saw in Part II. Old trick.
Hat tip: Washington Policy Institute's blog
Posted by Ron Hebron at September 03, 2010
08:17 PM | Email This
1. Ron, this is exactly how that money is going to be spent, bank on it: School districts will receive the money and use it to pay for teachers that they were already going to pay for this year. The money that they save will be held back, at the current direction of OSPI, until next year when the Governor is going to cut education spending even more, then the schools will use the money they 'saved' to offset the hole that the WEA purchased state house and governorship will have created.
2. btw, WEA is in cahoots here. They already know that OSPI has instructed districts not to add additional spending over what was already budgeted and save this money until next year, so WEA is looking at that money to give to teachers next year knowing full well that the districts have been informed not to use it to hire classified staff this year.
3. The WEA is soooo full of it. And Patty is too, by her own words.
So these "3000 saved teachers" are teachers like Senator Tennis Shoes claims to have been a teacher.
In other words, not.
The WEA and Murray have adopted the Goebbel's tactic in this claptrap - tell this lie enough times and more people will begin to accept this as the truth. However, the way to stymie this tactic is to point out that it is a lie - Dino Rossi, are you listening ?
6. Democrats lie so much they don't know what the truth is. I meant to say. I misspoke. My favorite
was Hillary running for cover in Bosnia from heavy gunfire. Or Michelle Obamas' White House garden that provides vegetables for dinners. Riiiiighhhtttt. The only good thing about liberals
is they abort their young. Maybe there is hope.
7. what's all the fuss? about 50 cents of a dollar STILL hits the desk; hey--pass me those 2,000 pencils and the 26 dry-erase markers & supplies I need to bring "to share" with deadbeat families and wasteful districts; Gotta love those home schools and private schools getting it done on a dime; if i'm not mistaken, don't most of the DC Beltway crowd send THEIR kids to private schools? Hmmm...
8. #7: Private schools for the Belway elite? You better believe it. Obama spends (are you sitting down??) $63,000 a year on private school for his two daughters!
Although PRes Obama is turning more and more into a one Term repeat of Jimmy Carter, he differs from Carter who sent daughter Amy to public school. Instead, Pres Obama had his children attend the ritzy private school couching it in the rationale of 'security.' But lets be honest, would you want your children attending public schools in DC given past results? Despite huge amounts of money plowed into the district, the track record out there is horrendous.
So, I give him and his wife a pass on it although he could be a stronger advocate for charter schools.
For what it is worth, Arne Duncan the head of Education has his kids in public school. Of course, he lives out in VA.
10. #9: The biggest problem with Obama sending his kids to Sidwell Friends is that he did not want other DC underprivileged kids going there with his kids. He discontinued that program that allowed DC kids to attend fine schools for the price of the voucher they received. It was an amazing deal; and these kids were great kids. But Obama could not accept having these kids get a great education on voucher. So he kicked the underprivileged kids out of the voucher program and destroyed their hopes of getting a nice education like his own kids received. What a shame!
Why is Dino Rossi MIA about this issue or at least under the radar screen ? Well, it is not a very good sign the Steve Schmidt, who authored McCain's failed Presidential campaign is a key cog in Dino Rossi's campaign.
So far, Rossi has let Murray frame the campaign - that is what I call ridiculous compassion for the opponent. Come to think of it, that's what McCain did in 2008.
Won't it be exciting when Dino Rossi joins Senator McGavick in the US Senate!
Oh, that's right. Sound Poltics last "can't lose" candidate - lost!.
Don't be surprised that while it will indeed be a successful night for Republicans nation-wide "can't lose" Rossi will find himself a LOSER election night.
That would make Weenie RINO Rossi a three time loser. But many think he was offered a deal to get into the race just to make sure that a liberty minded candidate doesn't win. Well he ensured that. Mission accomplished, so it would be interesting what position will be offered him after he loses this election.
13. Steve: You podunks really think that we Republicans don't do our research on the issues. So easy for an ignoramus to blurt out "loser" when the race was "fixed" by the "selling of votes" to the poor. Disgraceful, you ought to be ashamed, crawl back under your rock.