March 21, 2009
There is a God: Savage to run for Mayor?
Dan Savage appears serious about running for mayor [profanity warning], in a way. Note the understandably bitter experience Savage had trying to express his intent to run to the ever-customer-service-friendly City bureaucracy.
I don't think this addresses my lament of a serious candidate to challenge Nickels. That said, Savage is media savvy and....um..."blunt" enough a soul to truly call out some of the basic inadequacies in Seattle city government in recent years.
It's impossible for a Republican to run and win in Seattle. Yet, that doesn't mean Republicans can't enjoy watching the race.
P.S. Yes, I do note the delicious irony of titling a post "There is a God" when said post features a discussion of Dan Savage, famous for his hostility to religion. I suppose there probably won't be a faith-based component to his campaign.
But I suppose I could pray for one. Well, that and a televised debate.
"Dear heavenly Father..."
Posted by Eric Earling at March 21, 2009
01:25 PM | Email This
1. On my way to Costco I'll buy the popcorn...
I'll buy the hand sanitizer. No I take that back, I cannot afford that much. Maybe Gary Bauer would chip in.
I'd like to be skeptical of his chances, but with the Seattle electorate you never know.
3. Isn't this the guy who 'volunteered' briefly at a conservative organization, and went around and licked all the doorknobs in the organization's office?
wish it was this Savage
ewww licking knobs ....isn't that a liberal hangup???
5. Stepping up to the microphone will take on a whole new meaning for Savage during election season.
6. I'll buy the de-lousing shampoo. The King of liberal ignoramouses is running....shocking in Seattle. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse than chubby fat a** Nickels. Ho-hum. That's OK, I'm sure he'll get caught in a pic toking from a large bong way before it's voting time....
It was the doorknobs at Gary Bauer's offices that he licked. Bauer tried for the republican nomination for president a few years back.
From the stanger.com, (written by Savage himself)
I go around the room licking doorknobs. They are filthy, no doubt, but there isn't time to find a rag to spit on. If for some reason I don't manage to get a pen from my mouth to Gary's hands at the conference, I want to seed his office with germs, get as many of his people sick as I can, and hopefully one of them will infect the candidate. I lick office doorknobs, bathroom doorknobs. When that's done, I start on the staplers, phones, and computer keyboards. Then I stand in the kitchen and lick the rims of all the clean coffee cups drying in the rack. I grab my coat and head out.
8. #7: That's all we really need to know about this guy, isn't it? Even though there's more....
9. Isn't this the creep that wore a white wedding dress as he danced with Mike (Lousy) Lowrey at Gary Locke's first inagural ball?
10. Well, Savage does say at the bottom of his column "if elected i will not serve". No popcorn.
11. One thing is certain, Eric, if Republicans want to succeed anywhere, they're going to keep their religion to themselves. Religion is irrational.
12. BTW, Stefan Sharkansky, Warren Buffett, and Bill Gates, among others, are atheists. Atheism offends known idiots like pudge, who lowers the standards of this blog by being allowed to participate.
13. Savage will be able to "get out the vote" in anonymous bath houses which, in Seattle, may be enough to win...
Wow, #12 seems to have it all covered. Religious intolerance, lying, and love of censorship.
You don't need to make this stuff up.
Why do I have a sneaking suspicion after reading posts #11, and #12 that "ya sure ya betcha" might just be our friend "Crusader".
Just a random thought since "Crusader", when he isn't pretending to be a conservative, constantly pounds an anti-religious theme, actually anti-Christian one might note more accurately. Leftists don't have the courage to apply their religious intolerance to other religions. Force a woman to cover herself from head to toe in public? Hey, you'll never hear a word from the left about that. No, it's only Christianity that gets the left all worked up, along with "family values". I wonder if Dan Savage has ever written a column where he has been critical of Muslims who are certainly as opposed to homosexuality and abortion as most Christians are. For further reading about this subject please refer to how the left attempted to destroy a certain Christian, conservative female governor.
Just an observation. Hey, I could be wrong, but my BS detector started beeping when I read those comments.
#15, I've never read an book supporting atheism by Dawkins or any such person that didn't include a lengthy chapter on Islam, especially its sickening treatment of women. The only reason you hear less about it is not and has absolutely no chance of becoming influential in the American government, unlike Christianity (see books by Ibn Warraq if you're interested in lengthy Islamic-centric religious criticisms). Dan Savage also has also been comparably harsh to Islam in other columns, I distinctly remember him using the term "Islamofacist" more than once.
Just clearing some of that up, It seems to me that this "ya sure ya betcha" or "Crusader" or whoever is more of someone acting like a parody of an atheist and overall isn't a very good representation.
Jstar you have a point. Savage has indeed taken on Islam in his unique, profane way of expressing himself. I'm more than happy to be wrong.
I rarely agree with Dan Savage but he showed real courage when he wrote that piece.