March 09, 2009
Dave Reichert: Moderate or Not?
Point: Goldy earnestly declares:
Thanks in part to the complicity and/or laziness of our local media, Reichert has done a good job in recent years portraying himself as a "moderate" (whatever that means) while continuing to vote the Republican party line whenever his vote really counts.
Conterpoint: On Reichert's schedule today:
1) Appearing at President Obama's announcement on stem cell research
2) Participating in a press conference headlined by Speaker Nancy Pelosi
What a partisan hack this guy is...
Exit thought: the left has tried for a number of election cycles now to convince voters in the 8th District that Dave Reichert is some sort of evil clone of George W. Bush (though clearly with better hair). If they failed at that, in two of the most Democratic years in recent memory, what makes them think they can convince voters that Reichert is a Rush Limbaugh-following zombie?
Posted by Eric Earling at March 09, 2009
06:28 PM | Email This
1. Dave Reichert has represented my district since he was first elected. He is not as conservative as I, but at the same time that I have not always agreed with his decisions, I have concluded he comes to his votes through an honest appraisal of both the legislation and what he believes is right for his district. To label him a partisan hack does a great disservice to an honorable man.
2. You echo my thoughts, Fritz. I don't always agree with him, but I think he believes the man-made global warming nonsense, and frankly, we are not likely to get a better candidate for the 8th district.
As an 8th CD voter I do not like Reichert to the point where I almost wished the Dem's would beat him so that a more conservative candidate could be run next time around. He is not a worth successor to Jennifer Dunn. He left a mess at KCSO that continues to haunt. The recent beating of a 15-yr-old girl by a dep. was just the latest, and should have surprised no one.
I did love that he voted against the so-called stimulus. You could run a million and 1 simulations, and Darcy Burner votes yes on it every time.
Voting scores aren't everything, but they are a pretty good indicator of just how conservative or liberal a congressman is.
I think the National Journal scores are the best. The Journal uses three categories, economic, social, and foreign policy. Reichert's conservative ratings in those three categories in 2006 were 53, 50, and 54 percent. There aren't many moderates left in the House of Representatives, but Reichert is definitely one of them.
(By way of comparison, my congressman, Jay Inslee, scored 18, 22, and 14 percent in 2006.
And, though you have to be careful about comparing senators and representatives, I will add that Barack Obama scored 0, 21, and 12 percent in 2006.)
Why 2006? Because those are the latest ratings in my 2008 Almanac of American Politics.
I know Dave personally (mutually by name at least). I agree completely with the statement "he comes to his votes through an honest appraisal of both the legislation and what he believes is right for his district" -- I certainly DO NOT agree with him all the time and rather wish he were a bit more conservative, but I believe him to be an honorable man. (And yes, I lobby him on my issues, and he's provided feedback on same.)
If the majority (heck, even a few!) of Democrats had half his honor, this would be a very different country. And much improved.
6. Don't worry about Goldy, he is just heart broken that he never was able to help Darcy Burner get in the sack or elected. As a matter of fact, he is probably one of the reasons she lost, guilt by "ASS"ociation.
7. Don't worry about Goldy, he is just heart broken that he never was able to help Darcy Burner get in the sack or elected. As a matter of fact, he is probably one of the reasons she lost, guilt by ASSociation.
Reichert shows up to events like this, but when it actually comes down to the important stuff (when the cameras aren't watching!) he's just another right-wing Republican vote. Which was exactly Goldy's point.
So, um, Eric, you just helped prove exactly the point that Goldy was making. Good job!
9. You mean he might vote the right way? As opposed to the Lock Step Leftist idiots like Inslee, McDermott, Dicks, Smith, Baird and crew? Goldy could not make a point even if he found the one at the top of his head.
Did you catch him on Miller this morning? What a complete freaking tongue bath he gave Gary Locke!!!!
Although Reichart's voting record over the past 6 months is solid, I nearly lost my lunch listening to the podcast.
Reichert has represented the 8th District well.
He beat Burner because he was the better choice for voters in the district. It doesn't get any simpler than that.
Can the weenies get a better candidate next time? Maybe, but since the Dems aren't stupid (or completely insane), I seriously doubt they'll run Darcy again and it will be a much more difficult task to beat him after three wins.
12. Hey Facts what did your boys spend backing Darcy the last two cycles 6 Million Dollars? Thanks for the donation. We can only be thankful that you don't live in the 8th.
I live in the 8th CD and I'm proud to have Reichert as my congressman. Thank god I don't have to put up with Ditzy Darcy!
No Facts - FOAD
Name ONE Democrat or Slaver with a more moderate voting record than Dave Reichert. Just one. Bet you can't do it.
Your hyper-partisanship is quite telling!
HOPE AND CHANGE!
Like your buttboy Goldy, no one knows turds like you do, factless.
That said, I have to wonder:
What the hell difference does it make what ANY fringe leftist nutburger thinks, whether it's factless... OR Goldy? And why is Goldy's spew worthy of a post? Slow news night?
You have him at an announcement that is also being attended by Orrin Hatch, and a press conference for a "Wounded Warrior" program, and you make it sound like he's going to jump parties.
What exactly do you think this proves, exactly? Should we be holding our breath to see if he jumps parties or something?
Sheesh. Start actually trying, man.
17. So tell us all Demo and Factless, how many times have our Democratic Congress People voted against their leadership? Do they vote with Nancy 95% of the time? 99%? Inslee refused to sign on to Pratt River Wilderness Preservation Bill because he was going to "Beat Riechert a$$ this fall." After seeing the weakness with the Burner campaign (again) and taking heat for being an a$$, he finally signed on. Classy
So, the contention seems to be from the left that republicans only vote against party line when they are given permission to do so. Right now there seems to be a lot of hyper-partisan attacks without a single demonstratable fact. Can one of our liberal posters please tell me how you would define "moderate" and who you know on either side of the aisle who is a moderate and what they did to earn that label from you?
If you do not, then you will be regarded (as often is the case) as a factless shill of the liberals. So, here is your chance to step up to the plate and demonstrate your superior mental abilities you so often tease us with.
As I said before, I half-wish the Dems had produced a better opponent for Reichert than Burner. I also wish that there were better Dem posters on this board.
Anybody who uses words like 'um' and 'psssst' in a post has immediately revealed themselves as a smug, arrogant prick not even worth engaging.
Eric, I can't believe you'd even respond to Goldstein. For him, the ends always justify the means. He'd smear his own mother if he thought it would get one of his own pet candidates ahead. With the abject failure he has been as a Darcy cheerleader (ok aided mightily be her amazing incompetence) he should be embarrassed.
And always find it quaint when a devout Progressive complains about media bias.
I still keep wondering how (factless) can post all day long when he has to 'run' three businesses?
You don't think that just maybe factless is a liar.
yeah never. LOL
22. I think Rep. Reichert is a great fit for the 8th CD. When you look at his voting record and that of his predecessor, Jennifer Dunn, they're not that different. Both vote/voted very conservatively on fiscal issues, a little more moderately on social issues. Both worked well with the businesses in their districts to appropriately represent those creating jobs and economic vitality. Since Reichert is the ONLY Congressional Republican left in Western WA, I think he is a solid example of the kind of Republican who can get elected in Western WA -- thoughtful about issues, not a straight party line voter, and highly accessible to his constituents. Apparently the voters in the 8th CD are plesed with his representation because they've had the opportunity to send him packing twice (by a very well-funded opponent) and have chosen not to do so.
23. Clownstein is a pimple on the butt of society.
FYI, it's KLOWNstein!
I'm just sayin'!
25. No Facts - are you saying that residents of the 8th CD are dummies? Do you know how highly educated and wealthy this district is?
26. Factless, Yes see the Stimulus Bill, he voted NO. That is what Darcy said she would have voted too. Are you slow or just not paying attention.
Leftists think nothing of lying.
My theory is that the left attracts the worst elements among us. The liars, the socialist, the communists. The people who actually enjoy telling others how to live their lives. The real fear mongers who frighten little children with their phony global warming hysteria. The President who exploits a bad economy in order to promote socialism and terrify the country into a depression.
For many on the left rules of civilized behavior simply do not apply. That explains why they can condone the murder of unborn innocent children and at the same time shriek about the Iraq war. It also explains why the left has said nothing about Obama's expansion of the war in Afghanistan.
The left lies, they cheat, and are just plain unpleasant people in general. Read any liberal blog and you can see it. Horsesass is a perfect example. "Facts" is a perfect example. A total phony that won't say who he/she really is.
"facts" posted earlier on this thread:
"Darcy's turds have more intelligence than The Sheriff."
This is what I am talking about. The left has become a collection of rude, uncivilized people who make their points by crude insults, deception, and lying.
At least Reichert is a real person with a record we can agree or disagree with.
Lefty posters such as "facts", and "demo kid" are cowards that are afraid to use their own names. We have no idea whether they "run 3 businesses" or are sitting in their local library in a filthy raincoat.
When they make posts such as "facts" did above I have a tendency to believe the latter.
Reichert voted yes for the SCHIP bill, a very liberal bill and one in which 154 republicans voted NO and 44 YES. This is one more case in a list of bills where Reichert is shaded towards left center field, not right. He has hardly voted the Party line, Goldy needs to do a little research before making such claims.
BILL TITLE: Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act:
273 Yeas (229 Democratic, 44 Republican)
156 Nays (2 Democratic, 154 Republican)
Not Voting: 4
30. The only vocabulary the left has are synonyms of bodily excretions or sexual acts.
31. You mean he might vote the right way? As opposed to the Lock Step Leftist idiots like Inslee, McDermott, Dicks, Smith, Baird and crew?
-Posted by Huh? at March 9, 2009 09:27 PM
That exact point makes me ever so worried about poor Patty Murray... however will she know what to think/how to vote without Ted Kennedy's backside in place for her to glue her nose?
Name another Congressman - Slaver or Republican - who has a more moderate voting record than Reichert.
The FACT that you can't shows that your own statements above are out-and-out lies. As usual.
33. "I think Rep. Reichert is a great fit for the 8th CD. When you look at his voting record and that of his predecessor, Jennifer Dunn, they're not that different. Both vote/voted very conservatively on fiscal issues, a little more moderately on social issues. "
The poster's point is well-stated but I have to disagree. Jennifer Dunn was more of a 'classical liberal' even libertarian. For example, she opposed minimum wage increases, a position that is principled but very tough row to hoe politically. She was always an NRA 'A,' even in times when it would have been politically attractive to compromise on that.
By contrast, Reichert is more of a moderate/RINO. I can't imagine him standing against the min. wage, and his position on gun control shifts according to the political winds.
34. Darcy's turds? Clownstien? Patty Murray's nose to Ted Kennedy's backside? I can't believe what conservative rhetoric has devolved to...You deserve Dave Reichert... and Pam Roach, too.
Let's vote for Reichert because he is a Republican who votes like a Democrat!
Here's an even better idea. Let's just vote for a Democrat! At least then there is no confusion when liberal policies fail that they were indeed liberal policies.
But, nah, it is much better for Bush to first destroy capitalism than Obama. Much, much better.
You are either insane or you are the enemy within.
I don't think Earling is insane but perhaps lots of you who are conned by him are.