March 05, 2009
Important: Joel Connelly Thinks Tim Eyman Controls GOP
Just as Rush Limbaugh has seized the soul of the national Republican Party, professional initiative sponsor Tim Eyman seems to set the Republican agenda in this state.
In this Washington, Eyman holds sway. He has set the Republican agenda: Cut taxes even if local government gets axed, ferry passengers see fares skyrocket, and worthy state health and education programs get handcuffed.
To which a fair response might be a valley girl-esque: "whatevs..."
That's a nice myth, but totally untrue if one actually looks at the 2008 agendas of prominent statewide Republicans Dino Rossi and Rob McKenna, or those of GOP legislative candidates who bucked nationwide trends by gaining seats last year. Those wins including running on proactive agendas for education, healthcare, and transportation in suburban districts. Is that the stereotype of Eyman's sway as Connelly portrays?
No, but the myth makes him feel better so let's leave it at that.
More importantly, Connelly says:
The public is coming through with its message in polls: The era of free market ideology and welfare for the rich is over.
An NBC News/Wall Street Journal national poll found 51 percent supporting a bigger role for government, versus 40 percent opposed.
A new CNN/Opinion Research survey found 72 percent in favor of increasing government's role in health care; 27 percent disapproved. Even a poll by Fox News -- yes, "Fixed News" -- showed Americans, by a 66 to 30 margin, support raising taxes for those earning more than $250,000.
We may actually solve some problems in our state and country, leaving behind those on the right who would sabotage America, and those on the left who demand but will not deal.
Putting aside the partisan hyperbole for a second, let's dig a little deeper on the claim that polls support what Connelly claims they support (sidenote: if Connelly is saying Fox's standard-fare media polling is partisan, does he embrace the idea that polls by ABC/WaPo & CBS/NYTimes are liberal?)
A recent poll by SurveyUSA on the topic of tax increases in Washington state had these results:
1) only 22% of adults thought it was a "good idea" to raise taxes "to help balance the state budget"
2) 70% thought it a "bad idea"
3) Neither "smaller class sizes in schools" nor "childrens' healthcare" as the beneficiary moved the numbers a great deal - 28% saying they'd be "more likely" to support the former, 26% the latter (and higher numbers of adults saying it would make them "less likely" to support such a hike in each case).
That doesn't seem to make the case for raising taxes here in the Evergreen State anywhere near as convincingly as Connelly implies.
Posted by Eric Earling at March 05, 2009
09:11 PM | Email This
1. Left stooges like Connelly will always try to spin some poll to show that "free market ideology" is over. Show me when it ever began!
2. Well in two weeks the lard ass will be unemployed.
3. "Just as Rush Limbaugh has seized control of the Republican party...." Has he no clue how he sounds like a shill for Rahm Emanuel and the other Democrat flunkies for Obama? What happened to honest and independent journalism??
4. Eric your headline cracked me up! Thanks.
Lard Ass Connelly....
He's the guy who had 4 people registered to vote at his Island County 700 sq. ft retreat.
Himself, his gardener and 2 people who never lived in Washington but dreamed someday they might!
Does anyone care what a LardAss Voter Registration Cheating Bastard thinks??
I think Connelly is the spokesperson for the Atheist Democrats.
If only Eyman was actually as effective as in Connelly's Fantasy, we might not have an $8 billion deficit and a pure blue majority bent on running the state in to the ground.
The P-I shutdown is good timing for Joel. Retirement will free him from the burden of making stuff up for his column.
7. This is fat ass Connelly in his death throes. Forgive him, he knows not what he does.
8. Who's Joel Connelly?
9. Surely (I hope) this last by Connelly is the final ejection of debris during his long masquerade as a ''journalist'', that will finally boost him into deep-space orbit along with the other hard-left moonbats; where he will as alluded to by Jeff B. @ #6 quickly fade to black.....
LOL, thanks Eric.
You made my morning.
Someone should call Tim and give him the news.
11. If Connelly researched beyond the end of his nose he'd find that Tim's not the leader of the GOP, but the 4th branch of government.
Whyizit when somebody brings forth ideas that get people talking and perhaps stripping the system of some power, they're the blame for... oh yeah. Those guys must be silenced.
Hey, let's cut Joe a little slack here. I mean we've had sooo much fun hammering the GOP with Rush, I'm sure he thought it was worth a try to hit them with Eyman too.
Ya gotta admit there are similarities; they both are extremely obnoxious personalities who made their careers out of right-wing wackisms. If only Tim were as visually repulsive as Rush...
Hey Unk, that's not very tolerant speech coming from you! Where's the ACLU?
Guess we all missed the memo from Joel about the Eyeman initative passing, I-000, making Tim the king of King County. Damn, now we gotta change the signs again. Where's Goldy? Doesn't he have experience in this area?
14. Connelly is just following the Rahm "I'm a trained ballerina" Emanuel's playbook for obfuscation politics. Obama sits on his hands in the oval office (when not on vacation or attending bulls/wizards games) while the economy sinks into the crapper and people are hemmorhaging jobs. 3000 miles away, Joel Connelly can't help but deflect from an 8B dollar state deficit created by incompetents in "His" Party, the Democrats, by going after a true believer in power to the people, Tim Eyman. Eyman doesn't force people to vote for his initiatives, he simply gives them that option. Lunkheads like Connelly set up a straw man like Tim Eyman because he's too chickensh*t to call the people out that voted for it, his readers and his job security. The man is pathetic.
Every now and then Joel writes a well thought out column.
Today was not one of them
Joel is unfortuneately in a death spiral and unable to pull out
Tim Eyeman is basically the taxpayers' union rep working to stop fraud & waste in OLY
Joel's registration of nonresidents at his 700 ft cabin on Whidbey is distasteful but typical.
"The rules apply to everyone but me"
Wow!! What will Joel's next parting shot be about?
Hoping the Fairness Doctrine will bail him out?
It always amazes me, but as soon as times get bad for the D's, their cronney's, the MSM, get right to work to misdirect issues by demonizing personalities on the opposite side of the political spectrum. It reminds me of how petty dictators like Saddam Hussein and Hugo Chavez kept the masses eyes off the true domestic problems of their countries.
What will be fun to watch will be with whom the big "O" demonizes a figure internationally to keep his failed domestic agenda off the table. Any bets on the timing of a "Wag the Dog" scenario?
18. I WISH Eyeman ran the GOP. He is a lot more affective at what he does than the state GOP.
19. Joel seems to be at a loss to explain why his beloved Seattle failed to get its share of the stimulus pork funding. His whole article turned into a history lesson on the glory days of big city democrat politics and his perceived demise of the republican party. It sounded very much like an epitaph. R.I.P.
OOPS, hey Obama. Your ideas are not looking good.
Friday, March 06, 2009
Forty-one percent (41%) of voters nationwide have a favorable opinion of the $3.6-trillion budget proposed by President Obama in the latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. But 46% hold an unfavorable view, and 13% are not sure.
21. "even if local government gets axed"...
So I suppose Connelly's position is that no matter what's happening in the economy and how much people are hurting, "local government" still needs to be fully funded.
Government funding should reflect the economy. It should als reflet the will of the people. The Washington Supreme Court has once again trashed the Initiative process by declaring the voe of the people for tax increases is unconstitutional. Hmmm. We may as well get rid of the Initiative process. Every time we the people vote one into law, these "wiser than all of us" judges throw it in the toilet. Guess that shows what they think of us. Ditto to the lawmakers who challenge the Initiatives. Government of government, by government, and for government. Welcome to the 21st century's version of slavery. Taxes are going up up up and there's not a damn thing we can do about it.
"those on the left who demand but will not deal."
Scratch a leftist, find a fascist.
Here's what we wrote about the court's ruling:
RE: Supreme Court unanimously rejects challenge to I-960's 2/3's for tax hikes requirement
As sponsors of Initiative 960, approved by voters in 2007, we are very pleased that the State Supreme Court unanimously agreed with us that Democrat Senator Lisa Brown's anti-taxpayer lawsuit was bogus. The voters have repeatedly expressed their support for making it tougher to raise taxes and the Court properly stayed on the sidelines in this dispute. This is a political tug-of-war between the people and the politicians and any judicial intervention would usurp the power of the people to pull the rope in favor of taxpayer protection.
From today's Spokesman Review: If the two-thirds requirement had been lifted off the Legislature, Eyman said, "I haven't got a doubt in my mind that they would have jacked up taxes right there on the spot." Here's a link to a short news story about the ruling: http://news.opb.org/article/4442-wa-supreme-court-dismisses-challenge-vote-requirement-tax-hikes
Taking the lead for her Democrat colleagues, especially Governor Gregoire, Senator Lisa Brown tried to get the Court to take away critical taxpayer protections approved by the people. The state Constitution rightly protects voter-approved initiatives from legislative interference within their first two years to respect the will of the people. But because I-960's policies have been repeatedly approved by the people, and on several occasions been revalidated by the Legislature itself, I-960's policies should remain untouched for all time. There is simply no reason for Olympia to make it easier to raise taxes.
Tax increases must always be an absolute last resort but if pursued must always be put to a vote of the people for final passage. That's what the voters have said over and over and over again and our representatives should and must respect the people's decision on this.
But to put an exclamation mark on the people's previous taxpayer protection decisions, we are vigorously pursuing the qualification of this year's Initiative 1033 which protects taxpayers even more. I-1033 substantially reduces property taxes by controlling the growth of government. For decades, citizens have told their elected representatives that property taxes were out-of-control - and yet there's never been any substantive legislative action by Olympia to reduce our state's crushing property tax burden.
The Lower Property Taxes Initiative I-1033 is the initiative that our supporters have waited 10 years for us to sponsor. We are working super hard to give the voters the opportunity to vote on it this November.
Every initiative we've done since 2002 has survived court challenges - it's clear that we've learned from our earlier efforts and hired more experienced attorneys to help draft our measures. But it's also undeniable that the Court is realizing that these political disputes are best resolved legislatively, not judicially. And that's the way it should be.
We will continue to work very hard to provide the voters with more choices at the ballot box with our taxpayer protection initiatives.
Regards, Tim Eyman, Jack Fagan, & Mike Fagan, Lower Property Taxes Initiative co-sponsors, ph: 425-493-9127, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.VotersWantMoreChoices.com
Well, Wiz... you and your butt-buddy Joel can spew whatever you like... but on I-960, the only name for Eyman is....
25. The new liberal motto " My head is up my a** and it smells like hope and change"
26. Also two Treasury Dept nominees have bailed. Guess they don't want to be associated with the train wreck that is Obama's economic policy.
27. One has to understand. This is straight from the Marxist play book of "demonize my opponents, day and night. Give them no rest until they are utterly demolished".
Extremely biased liberal elites like Connelly can bash Eyman all they want and still fail to comprehend it was the PEOPLE of the state of Washington that passed these voter initiatives, not Eyman.
That has to get into Connelly's craw; that their belief of living in a liberal blue state utopia is upsurped by the fact the voters of Washington tend to lean to the right when it comes to their collective pocket books.
What Connelly and the rest of the PI fails to understand is that when they attack Eyman, they are by extensio attacking the collective voters of the state who overwhelmingly pass these initiatives.
And then Connelly, et al, fail to understand why the Seattle Post Intelligencer has steadily been losing readership and is shutting down in less than a week.
Duh... I wouldn't want to pay to get insulted!
Connelly is so obesely overweight, he barely has enough energy to generate the pathetic leftist spew that is his legacy.
A pathetic man, with a pathetic past and a trail of columns that remind me of a SLUG...long and slimey.
Here's to a real LardAss..Joel "The SLUG" Connelly!
"Connelly is so obesely overweight"...
"Lard Ass Connelly"....
and all the other personal attacks against Connelly or any other liberal need to stop.
WE are conservatives. WE do not act like the liberals and leftists attacking in such a manner. WE are above that. Do NOT mimic their tactics!
If we cannot argue our points without resorting to name calling then we don't have any points to argue.
31. Connelly is just trying to be relevant. Instead, we just renew our understanding that he is just a fat windbag.
But Connelly is obesely overweight and his ass is made outta lots of lard.
Perhaps if Joel cared about himself he might conjure up enough self-respect to lay off the Conservative bashing occassionally.
But alas, Joel's only joy comes out of get accolades from the Fringe Lunatic Left.
Never, ever feel sorry for a left-wing lunatic who has and abuses the power of the pen.
Connelly is a lard ass!
Look at him!
33. If my postulate: "Ignorance may be bliss but Stupidity should be painful." were universally true, Mr. Connelly would be roiling on the ground in mortal agony.
34. Seemingly devoid of original thought or ideas; Mr. Connelly's death-knell grasp at (yes) relevance - is to mimick the White House (who cited Rush Limbaugh as national GOP head) by asserting Tim Eyman as head of the GOP here? Really? Say it ain't so, Joel!
35. It's unfortunate Connelly apparently will have a job at the new, online P-I, while better journalists and greater talents will be collecting unemployment.
, [url=http://opxrnyiuxqau.com/]opxrnyiuxqau[/url], [link=http://calmmzhbkown.com/]calmmzhbkown[/link], http://fugfxctfhwfr.com/