March 04, 2009
Mystery Tax Hikes
Austin Jenkins goes hunting for information on tax increases in the works in Olympia, and gets stonewalled:
Translation: The Legislature maintains it can invoke "legislative privilege" when it doesn't want to make public certain documents. This includes emails. It also apparently includes when lawmakers ask a taxpayer funded state agency to analyze a potential piece of legislation.
So while Revenue and the Legislature hash out what can and can't be released -- the clock is ticking. The Legislature is only in session for 105-days. We're almost at the midpoint. This bureaucratic delay is convenient for lawmakers who don't want me (or you) to know what tax increases they're pondering.
Read the whole thing.
Posted by Eric Earling at March 04, 2009
09:19 AM | Email This
1. Well, I guess we'll find out on March 19th.
Lets face it....Government wants to Grow. It doesn't want any impediment to slow its growth and certainly not, for the Tax Payer to become aware of any designs to fuel that growth. Yes, it takes money for Government to grow....Your Money! The more the Tax Payer is aware of what is being proposed in the manner of adding and increasing Taxes, the greater the chance that Government will be thwarted in its grab for more of your hard earned Money.
We need Government with the Rule of Law to protect Society from abuses. That is the only reason for Government to exist. But, when Government Taxes excessively to support its growth to become Larger than is needed then, Government begins to abuse Society. In time Government will abuse Society much more than Government serves Society. Then, you will have Fascism, Socialism, and Communism. Guess, what Fast Track and what Direction we're headed for.
3. That's the "party of change"/Democrats for ya!
This is yet another example of the "MYTH" perpetuated by Gregoire & the Democrats about how OPEN GOVERNMENT is at such a high level in Washington State.
The Sunshine Laws are filled with holes.
Why aren't the Times & P-I on this??
What about that group of newspapers & others calling themselves the Coalition for Open Government??
What a joke.
At one of the most critical economic times in our history, the Democrats have gone into hiding so they can spring something on us at the very last minute.
That is obviously what is happening here.
Open Government?? MY A$$
Yeah, nothing on the $8 billion fiscal train wreck, but good news, you can soon be buried with your cat!
6. Palouse, my prediction is 10 billion at the next goaround. Dems were waiting till this new one came out before going public with their budget.
I don't doubt it swatter. The problem is that with the hundreds of billions and TRILLIONS being thrown around by the feds, people are desensitized to a "measly" $10 billion. That is, until the Democrats try to push through the cap and trade scam and the income tax.
8. #5 Oh, that's a good one Palouse...guess I missed that piece of legislative genuis. InFRICKENcredible!
I can hear it now.
( YOU pee-ons don't need to know) Now back to work slaves.
This sounds like an opportunity for someone. If they have the time, they could practice investigative journalism by talking to people face to face. Staffers know what is going on. Someone can be convinced to spill the beans. It may cost a few drinks or a meal or two but there is always someone that will "confirm" what you have heard.
This is an opportunity for some enterprising person to scoop all the high paid media types.
What's the mystery? Budget deficit. Democrats in power. Spending programs can't be cut because they're needed. Taxes will go up as high as they need to.
Or something like that....
12. BTW, whenever I mention something like this(usually it's Mr. Cycnical) on Horses' Ass, the reaction is total scorn and ridicule. They literally will NOT listen to any viewpoint from non-true believers.
13. HorsesAss.org is a reflection of the vile, vulgar anger eminating from the 14%ers.
Crusader, do you really care what those KLOWNS think...because one of their many problems is they don't think. They merely post talking points from Olberman & the Daily Kos.
The ATHEIST PROGRESSIVE LEFTIST PINHEADS pride themselves as Intellectual Scholars.
Because they not only do not believe in God, but scorn God and all believers at every turn.
That garbage they spew is something they will ultimately be help accountable for...not for us to worry about how God will handle this.
14. Sorrry for the "hijack" but Drudge is linking to a story about 22 Georgia state legislators who are delinquent on federal and state taxes. I wonder how many of our own citizen legislators suffer from this same affliction? I also wonder about the political party affiliation of the tax cheats.....being as Zerobama played hell finding "clean" Dimocrats for cabinet positions. Just another example of Dimocrats expecting that someone else will pay their bills.
Daniel @ 2: The government's major reason for existance is to protect us from internal (criminal) and external (military) enemies. I agree with your statement that government, in is present state, does more to abuse society rather than serve it.
Palouse @ 5: I'm surprised we aren't yet able to "marry" our cat...or dog...or anything else...given the make-up (leftist) of our legislature.
Mr Cynical @ 13: Watch yourself, Crusader will curse you at any mention of God.
16. Saltherring......Just to be clear on the meaning of my post. My statement; We need Government with the Rule of Law to protect Society from abuses means, abuses of all natures whether, it be internal or external.
My intent was not to criticize, only to state my interpretation of the Fathers' intentions. I agree with your clarification.
18. LOL. No I won't curse you because you mentioned God. However as an atheist, I don't believe that having religion is a perquisite for thinking. Usually it's the opposite.
19. Hey Crusader......An atheist can think all he wants and academically can be quite literate with vast stores of knowledge. But, he is unable to see the balance of Truth. Without GOD'S given Light to see Truth, he will always be wandering in the Darkness babbling his confusion. There is a Great difference between Intelligence and Wisdom. You can very knowledgeable, clever and smart yet, be Unwise. You've heard of the Intellectual Idiot haven't you? Intelligence and Wisdom go very well together but, they are indeed separate. Name one known and confirmed atheist not, just known for his intelligence but, known for his Wisdom.
20. @19 Daniel - you don't know any more about the universe then I do. "God's given light" is just more hokey nonsense, about the equivalent of the Tooth Fairy.
21. Quit your Babbling! Name one confirmed atheist not, just known for his intelligence but, known for his Wisdom. So....Either put up or Shut up!
22. @21 Daniel - Albert Einstein. 'Nuff said.
WRONG! Albert Einstein is not known for his Wisdom, he is known for his discoveries and knowledge. However, Einstein did believe in God. He just didn't believe in a personal God. Here are a couple of Quotes from Albert Einstein:
"That deep emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."
"God does not play dice." Meaning with Nature and the Universe.
The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." Psalm 14:1
And as I alluded to (with respect to creation) in an earlier thread, It takes much more faith to believe in the abject foolishness of evolution than the hand of Almighty God.