November 07, 2008
The Joel-acle Speaks
The headline says "Wrecked GOP must abandon extremism," though the column itself spends more time warning against Democratic over-reach than anything else. Connelly's latest does also include some more on where the local GOP should head, in addition the comments from Alex Hays discussed lower down on the main page.
More on that latter topic to come later. For now, comment away.
Posted by Eric Earling at November 07, 2008
07:28 AM | Email This
To any leftist, the slightest bit of conservatism is extreme.
We are not dead. We are not sunk. The rejection of the sickness of homosexual marriage every place it was on the ballot is proof.
The country was pissed at the poor leadership of Bush. It will be more pissed at the leftists in 2010.
Randy. There is nothing wrong with conservatism, and true conservatism will always have a seat at the table.
Supporting an ideology of calling people names for being right, playing on people's fears, trying to force your religious views down other people's throats, lying, and only supporting legislation that hurts most families, but helps the ultra-wealthy and large corporations will be risky....
The biggest problem the Republicons have these days is the fact that there is not enough low information, hate filled, ignorant cave dwellers in America to put them over the top (except in Appalacia and the South) any more.
As far as Bush is concerned, I can't remember any Republicons getting in his way.... He had their support every step of the way, regardless who was getting robbed, spied on, tortured, bombed, lied to or having their constitutional rights stripped.
Go ahead. Blame Bush. What ever you do, don't look at yourself, your ideology, and the Limbaugh inspired crap between your ears.
I will admit wresting power from the ruling class, and the lobbyist horde won't be pretty. It may not even be possible. Especially if folks like yourself, and your misguided friends don't even understand the problems our country faces, and who is responsible.
Tell you what. Turn off Hannity, and Rush, and listen to talk radio shows that don't spew non stop lies.
3. LOL.......... right (lack of facts)
4. Just remember. Obama never spoke of McCain's first wife, mistresses, poor military record, crashed planes, terrorist friends, or anything else. He won without attacking McCain personally, only his ideology, and voting record. He didn't even mention all the times McCain voted against the troops.
Extremism? You mean like Barack Obama--the most radical leftwing revolutionary ever fielded by the democrat party? Who holds the MOST extreme views on abortion than even NARAL? Who considers "mainstream" a guy who was once on the FBI's "Most Wanted" list for blowing up government buildings several times over and has zero regrets about it? A guy who for 20 years attends a church that preaches racial hatred (just google "James Cone/Jeremiah Wright to get the story--you'll be as shocked as I was)?
You mean like that??
6. May be directly that's true...but the Obama campaign was masterful at manipulating the internet and those 'stories' were circulating in fine fashion the whole time, with E-Mails, etc., et al. There was no stone left unturned; it was just that it was done with such precision that it (by design) did not reflect on or connect to him. :)
7. Sorry, Joel, but if "extreme" means you DON'T attend a church that preaches virulent anti-americanism and racial hatred, and means you're actually PROUD of this country, and means you DON'T keep hanging around with terrorists domestic and otherwise, and that you believe that the american dream ISN'T evil and that this is in FACT a GOOD country & not "just a mean one", then I guess we'll just be happy being 'extreme'. Quite happy.
I like Obama's change agent....Chief of Staff...Emaunual. Clintonista and one of the most partisan people in the Dem party.
Anyways, he has to fill his spots and he only has old dems to put in charge as he can't bring in more inexperienced folks since he doesn't have any...and Biden doesn't do anything.
I'm hoping that he isn't the person he says he is by his own words and deeds, which is a devote leftist that believes America and our Constitution should be radically changed to stiffle individuality and person freedom.
9. 'I like Obama's change agent....Chief of Staff...Emaunual. Clintonista and one of the most partisan people in the Dem party.'
I'll bet we won't see any 'Monica's' delivering pizza to the oval office. :)
Oh-- and if "extreme" means you DON'T send 'truth squads' out to arrest and prosecute people who say things you disagree with, then I'll be content being 'extreme.'
11. I'm quite happy clinging to my faith and my guns. If that's extreme, the Constitution is, too.
12. I'm quite happy clinging to my faith and my guns. If that's extreme, the Constitution is, too.
13. ...and, in terms of Rohm Emanuel; let's hope he has enough clout/influence to do something about Pelosi and Reid; I hear they don't particularly like him...and that the reverse may also be true?
A bit of humor for the post election blues, from the Onion:
15. I'm there with you Duff. Maybe that is a positive.....also he could take Schumer, Frank, Rangle & Dodd to the woodshed to.
16. Hey Facts, the love and tolerance that you show is certainly refreshing and eye-opening. The description of the Republicans and Conservatives is always spot on from you. Can I try on the glasses that you are wearing. Maybe they can help me see as much as you do. GOD bless your pink little soul. Love and Peace.
When the RNC stops running to the left, I'll start running to the RNC.
Given how McCain's staff have behaved since the election- I'm relieved he's not representing us.
No more. A fake republican is worse than a democrat.
When is Joel Connelly going to quit spreading asinine comments that have been disproven?
"The White House tried to eviscerate Social Security."
False. They were giving you the freedom to exercise a choose whether or not a certain percentage of your SSI would be diverted to the stock market instead. Entirely voluntary. Joel Connelly is a liar.
"The Justice Department fired nine U.S. attorneys -- including John McKay in Seattle -- for daring to display professionalism and independence."
The U.S. Attorney's serve at the pleasure of the president. Bill clinton did the same while onboarding. Once again, Connelly is a liar. OBTW, what would 'slim' know about "professionalism and independence?"
"Rove and Dick Cheney became embroiled in a scandal over the "outing" of a CIA operative whose husband challenged official lies on the origins of the war in Iraq."
..and it was proven neither did. Get your Dick's straight Joel. Dick Armitage is not Dick Cheney. Apparently Joe Wilson had no problem 'outing' his wife to chums at D.C. gala's when he introduced her as working for the C.I.A.
In sumnation: Joel Connelly is a proven liar.
I always laugh at the leftist fools like Connelly after they win an election giving advice to Republicans about how they should run their party. Just because your guy wins doesn't mean every idea and every thing Republicans did for the past 8 years was wrong.
Conservatism is far from dead. It will just take a far left leader like Obama for people to realize it. He's only going to be able to blame Bush for everything for so long.
20. Just "extremism" is too vague. We need to get rid of the social extremism and get way more extreme on the fiscal side. And keep it right where it is with a freedom forward, engaged foreign policy. :)
Only an idiot thinks that either the Republican Party in particular, or conservatism in general, is dead.
This election was a referendum on unhinged shrieking harpies like Michele, and on hate-filled bottom-feeders like Hinton and Rick D. and 5.62 and Rebel and Cynical, and on mendacious manipulators like Stefan and Pudge.
I urge them to keep speaking out so that we can call them the face of conservatism.
I worry more about guys like Earling, who in comparison with the above lot, manages to appear somewhat reasonable.
We will remain vigilant, never fear.
22. @21 - Hate is a commodity a troll like yourself and the Democrat party trade and sell daily. If you want the face of "Hate-filled bottom feeder" or "shrieking harpie", look no further than the nearest mirror.
@22 - ivan is telling truth here. Conservatism is indeed not dead. The problem is that Sean Haniity, et al are not just conservatives, they are entertainers feeding off the troglodytes to increase their ratings so that they can get rich. Whipping them up into such a frenzy that the nutcases have taken over the Republican't party for the last many years.
Have a majority of the American people now realized that the whackjobs in control of the Republican't party are incompetent?
We'll see. We'll see.........
I am insulted ivan didn't include me in his rant.
My only hope is that the rest of us go back to basics and work from there. I am afraid the rest will go back and figure out how to get reelected. You know, abandon principles.
Liberals like ivan would like nothing more than conservatives to shut-up. After an election between a socialist and a "moderate" Republican, chosen for us by the media, conservatism was not the debate, but it was socialism (painted as centrism and checks handed out to folks who don't pay taxes) versus the 8 years of failed Bush economic policies (an economy driven to ruin by liberal destruction of the lending industry.)
Yes, liberals want conservatives to shut-up, not because conservatism is wrong or dead, but because conservatism is the only philosophy that can prevent America becoming another socialist "nirvana" like France.
Now even the media is already starting to question its loyalty to Obama. They are asking, too late, who is this guy and what does he believe? Perfect timing. But as more and more of the Obama worshipers figure out who this guy is, and they will as conservatives continue work to break through the media barriers to misinformed Americans, it isn't going to be very long before even the ignorant and misinformed who voted to get a check will see the mistake they made. The die-hard leftists like ivan will never complain, but the center-right voters in this country conned into voting for Obama, and even the just left of center Democrats who bought into the empty promises of change and hope, are going to learn just how badly they've been deceived, and this nation's political scene may really change for the better.
I agree with Limbaugh in this. The brief battle being fought now between moderate Republicans, who just turned America over to a socialist, and conservative Republicans who knew exactly what this election was about, will be short. Conservatism is already back folks, and the clock is ticking on the next discarding of liberal and socialist lies, deceit and self-destructivism.
@23 is another example of what I was referring to. Republicans laugh at liberal trolls like you telling them about how their leaders are "whackjobs" and that all we have to do is get rid of Sean Hannity, blah, blah, blah. Save it. No one on the right cares what you think.
The left's in control of everything now, and there's no Bush boogeyman to blame everything on any more. Socialism doesn't work. It is doomed to fail, and the American public will realize it eventually the hard way. It's unfortunate, but true.
I wish Obama luck, he's going to need it. Hopefully, he doesn't take his eye off the ball regarding terrorism either. It was barely a blip on the radar during this election, but another major terrorist attack in this country will make the mortgage meltdown look tame by comparison. The hate Bush crowd carped endlessly about their rights being trampled, and now look forward to things like the Patriot Act getting repealed. Be very careful what you wish for....
Connelly ended his latest ramble with the following:
''Republicans need to get out from the shadow of reactionaries -- e.g., the BIAW and the Farm Bureau -- and back into the sunlight of Main Street conservatism.''
As an active member of my local Okanogan County Farm Bureau and the Washington State Farm Bureau, I just got the incentive I needed to pull me out of my disappointment with the election results; and get back in the fight.
Connelly strikes me as one of those clueless urban liberals who automatically assume that the well-stocked grocery shelves at his local market will always be full no matter what. Expect he has NO IDEA of the regulatory complexities and operational challenges involved in successfully running a farm or a ranch these days. Of course people like Connelly probably don't want to be bothered with understanding those hard realities.
@25 - "Liberals like ivan would like nothing more than conservatives to shut-up." Really Reality? You know what us liberals want? I can tell you what I want. For a short list I want: competent government; a government that stays true to the constitution; a government that respects indivdual rights; a president who can speak and think; a president who won't start ridiculous wars.
I like a good debate. But there are several people on this blog such as yourself who prefer to elect backwards Republican'ts such as Sarah Palin. We've got to call you on it.
Limbaugh as you should know occasionally gets things right. Unfortunately for you he is wrong on the example that you gave.
Republican'ts will wander in the wilderness until they throw the whackjobs out of power positions in the party.
Are you sure you don't want to come over to the left side of the aisle? ;-)
29. Sorry guys, Joel is totally on to something referencing Governor Evans and the creation of North Cascades National Park. It would be heretical for a Republican to do anything that bold in 2008. I would like to see 4 or 5 major parties and true political maneuvering, rather than the sporting farce we accept now. If the Republican party is the first to fracture, it would be a great start. What would be great about it? It would be a start to leave the National Socialist Evangelicals to argue about about gays, Christmas, and the pledge of allegiance and focus on their Appalachian Reserves while a sane group of resurrected conservatives buck up and start providing effective and direct fiscal management to what is likely going to be single party rule for a few election cycles. The pragmatic humanists in the Democratic side breaking from the Kennedy orthodoxies would also be wise. An effective Green party splinter would be even better. The USA is a world power that can be self sustaining and self fulfilling relying on its own natural resources, we can achieve it through managing our ecologies effectively. Though that's not likely while either party is owned by short sided corporatists who own and bet on both "teams" while supplying radical wedge issue rhetoric to get the Appalachians mobilized. Multiple parties could lay the ground work for real solutions, yet I'm afraid that what the television babies truly seek is simplified sport and unwarranted reassurances that things are going to be ok as long as we continue to complain about the all powerful enemy of Government in unison.
Looks like Mossad already owns Obama (he picked Rahm Emanuel, the son of a terrorist). Obama will probably let Mossad slide on their 9/11 involvement
and Obama will continue their wars. So who won? Israel did, as always.
"Got to call you on it" = "Got to look like morons about it."
Call away, Oblamaton. The problem with your appeal to move to the extremist side is to do so is to become an automaton, incapable of critical thinking or doing anything but mouthing the latest idiocy from the cult of moveon/Kos/HA. You know... like you do?
Those of us wise enough to avoid the far left fringe where you, Comrade ivan, factless, Dumbo and the rest of your ilk, usually hang out in places where we can avoid the rank hypocrisy of the left.
We avoid the lies and double standards that those possessed of your numbnuts dwell. We typically hold the members of both parties who screw up and screw us accountable. You know... like we demand that those who break the law pay the price... while your sort acts as if the d scum of your political leadership in the house and the senate, with a popularity rating that makes Bush look like a rock star in comparison; actually is doing something worthwhile... instead of lying scum, willing to do or say anything to get elected.
And when you falsely claim you "like a good debate" we know it's because you just love to see your own words in print on a screen... and "good" has nothing to do with it.
For if "good" were the standard, you wouldn't be giving Oblama a pass on his many failures, shortcomings and much of his questionable past. In fact, if "good" were the standard, you and your fellow morons wouldn't be leftist scum at all.
Yet you are, and there it is. And that you are tends to speak for itself. As for coming over to the dark side of the aisle, I usually feel like I need a shower any time I interact with your sort... you know, so I can get your stench out of the pores of my skin?
But I already had you pegged as an ecstatic moron, didn't I? And with each post, you confirm my diagnosis.
32. ivan, you need a bit of clarity. For actual unhinged shreiking, go straight to KOS or HA.....if you can stand the obscenity. Or try the Michelle Malkin post today describing activists who are threatening to burn down California churches.
If any major party needs to reassess its value system, it would be the Democrat party. They've devolved from the party of FDR into the party that promotes the culture of death (Partial birth abortion,assisted suicide), sunshine patriotism (buying flags only when their party is in power), and general erosion of any basic sense of "rugged individualism" that the founding father's sought to instill in us so that we would never again live under the blanket of tyranny.
Seeing these assclowns say with an Obama administration that they'd "never have to worry about putting gas in my car, or have to pay my mortgage". Self imposed slavery to the state is what the Democrat party stands for today, nothing less. You're an embarrassment to the American dream.
Somehow, Joel finds himself as out of touch as he is out of shape.
Michele @ 32:
If you are citing Michelle Malkin, you are only proving my point. TTFN.
35. ..and ivan please re-read my comments above to familiarize yourself with the candidate you voted for. I'll bet you're not even as extreme as Obama. He may be a slick talker who tries to gloss over his crazed affiliations and extreme posttions on abortion that even NARAL doesn't support, but that in no way undoes anything he's said or done as outlined above that makes him the radical leftist that he is, as evidenced by his highly disturbing associations and scary theology and virulently anti-semitic fans like Louis Farrakahn, who Obama's church admires. Sure sounds extreme to me. But you have chosen to ignore all of that. How unfortunate.
@31 Hinton - Calm down and take a deep breath ok? Get a sense of humor ;-)
With your extremist rants, people such as yourself are going ever deeper into the abyss of hatred. That will get you nowhere quite quickly.
So are you going to actually try to refute anything that I, Ivan or any left leaning poster has said, or will it just be an attempt at character assassination like the Sean Hannity's of the world try to do?
37. ...and ivan, did you even bother to read the item about leftwing activists calling for California churches to be burned down? Or will you conveniently overlook that, too, while criticizing others who would never do such a thing? More denial?
@37 - Michelle. Congratulations! You are now aware that there are many people on the left who are as extreme as you are on the right. They are pathetic as well as the extreme right-wingers and should be condemned for their words and actions (if they take any action).
I'm sure the police will be watchful and will take care of them or are you suggesting that we send a military strike force into California and kill all the lefties there?
Obama's associations with the characters that have been brought up are all pretty tenuous with the only exception of his church. Are you condemning him because he believes in God? Do you go to church? I'm sure that your pastor has never said anything remotely controversial?
Here's a quiz for you:
NAFTA (the NORTH AMERICA Free Trade Agreement) includes three countries. What are those countries? (Note the capitalized letters above, it's a clue!)
A) USA, Canada & Mexico
B) South America or
C) France, France and France?
If you guessed A, good for you! You are smarter than Sarah Palin!
39. Don't feed the trolls...
40. #38: NOW aware? I've been well aware of the oversupply of badly behaving leftists for several years, in fact. But they always manage to keep surprising me, nonetheless. I still remember the cement-throwing-on-railroad tracks of the Olympia leftists some months back.
In any case, let's hope that Obama has visited all 57 states by now, and that Joe Biden can find an encyclopedia that backs up his claims about the timing of the invention of the television, and the years FDR was president.
41. Okay, Rick D. I need to run some errands now anyway. Ciao
@39 - Who's calling whom a troll?
Also, your post @33 says the Dems are "the party that promotes the culture of death (Partial birth abortion,assisted suicide)..."
Aren't the Republicant's the party of death? Over 4,500 of our soliders dead in Iraq? Somewhere north (likely far north) of 100,000 Iraqi dead because of the war? Yes, our war machine didn't directly cause a certain number of the Iraqi deaths, but their blood is on our hands because the Republican'ts started this stupid war.
Republicant's certainly don't have clean hands when it comes to death.
You know what is really funny Go Obama Go? The fact that deep down, the right wingers know we are right.
The truth is the truth, regardless how much hate, fear, and greed clouds their judgment. They don't want better government, they just want power back, and would gladly destroy our nation to achieve that end. Just watch how they will oppose President Obama as he does the obviously right things. Full court press, 10 times as bad as their minute by minute attacks on President Clinton.
What I find comical is how loudly the scream for us to all suck it up so the billionaires can rape us, and our children some more. Trickle down they say. Trickle Down!!!! Even though what is trickling on them is yellow, and not rain, or cash.
Remember Reagan's 11th commandment. Never say anything bad about another Republicon.
Let them go off into the political wilderness for a generation or two blaming everything under the sun, other than their own greed, and lust for power.
The fact that they tried to re elect Ted Stevens says more about their morally corrupt party than every post on every liberal that will ever be posted.
God Bless America.
44. Which one of you trolls is the poser aka Dufus? I vote, Go-Go Man.
45. Wow! swats...let it go, my man...i.e. your possession with me that is. I am no one but myself...forever and always; so sorry to disappoint you. ah er er can we get along?....can we all just get along? A new day is dawning my friend...
46. Conservatives need advice from socialist pigs like Connely like Jews need survival tips from Nazi SS officers.
@40: NOW aware? I've been well aware of the oversupply of badly behaving leftists for several years, in fact. But they always manage to keep surprising me, nonetheless. I still remember the cement-throwing-on-railroad tracks of the Olympia leftists some months back.
And I remember the "badly behaving" rightists shooting abortion doctors and blowing up federal buildings. Point?
48. dumbo kid - you sure are a sore winner? I guess once a loser, always a loser. ROFL.
49. No facts - you just elected someone who says "God Damn America" every single morning when he wakes up. Congrats cunt face.
50. "And I remember the "badly behaving" rightists shooting abortion doctors and blowing up federal buildings. Point?
" ~ Demokid
I don't think William Ayers would qualify as a "rightist" re: blowing up federal buildings....and leftists that advocate the killing of an infant that has survived a botched abortion is hardly in a position to judge any kind of 'morality' issues.
I don't think so. Regular posers who have been posting every 15 minutes disappear and voila, a new name comes out of the blue and posts every 15 minutes saying pretty much what the first poser said. Coincidence? I suppose. I just wish someone picked a handle and stayed with it. You saying these trolls were not you?
I don't mind trolls as I said above; I just wish they used their same names so I can get a background.
But, duff, what were you on the past couple of days? Your posts today are more legit as you are very capable of doing.
Again, I hate these guys with new handles every day.
And here I though everyone would be jumping up and down on Pres.-Elect Obama for suggesting Nancy Reagan had seances.
Where oh where is the manufactured faux outrage?
I don't condone shooting of abortionists, even while abhorring their deeds. But there just aren't that many instances of such, thankfully. There ARE countless examples of the unhinged left damaging property and harming people-- hey they threw bleach on republican convention-goers these year. Four years ago they were urinating on them. Way to go, losers.
They slashed tires on vans republicans had rented for the crime of taking people to vote. They shot republican headquarters windows out. and the only federal building blower-uppers I know of are William Ayers and Bernadine Dorhn. But that's okay, because Obama says these people who admit they wished they done more of that are mainstream---which only serves the purposes of causing the rest of us to heavily question his judgment yet again. Because none of us has 'friends' like that.
and let's not even get started on the Earth Liberation Front leftists who feel perfectly good about burning buildings when said owners of buildnigs 'deserve' it.
Now we have the unhinged California leftwingers threatening to burn down churces and inflict bodily harm on peaceful catholics and mormons. ON and on it goes. Sadly, we know we'll see more out-of-control leftist behavior in the future.
54. Just like a kid that runs away from home, then gets scared as bad things happen on the street, so too will the naïve come running back to the Adult party for protection. Go GOP!
...and in order to help Ivan achieve even more clarity: Everything I've said about Obama is based on very public stances he's taken,and very public relationships he's chosen to have. It's all true. Therefore, it is all relevant to bring up, when discussing the person who wants to be president.
Here's an actual example of 'unhinged shrieking': "Bush is a coke monkey! Coke monkey! Coke monkey!" I read that on either HA or KOS, don't remember which one. But these leftists didn't seem to care that the media have tried hard to find evidence of any cocaine use by Pres. Bush and found none. None. So this silly charge is all smears and childishness. Now, we have a president who absolutely DID use cocaine. Yet, we hear not one person on the Left scream "Obama is a coke monkey! Coke monkey!" Why not? In this case, cocaine use is an indisputable fact.
Now, i would not use such a stupid phrase to describe any president. Why? Because it's stupid and immature. Particularly when the person in question has likely not even used cocaine.
So who is the unhinged shreiker, ivan? The person who wouldn't use such a juvenile term to describe ANY president, or your "coke-monkey" screaming liberal brethren?
Crusader. You voted for a moron that called the constitution a "God damned piece of paper", and I didn't vote for Reverend Wright.... Thank your lucky stars McInsane didn't get elected, just to hand our country's leadership off to a retard from Alaska that truly believes the world is only 6,000 years old.
The stench of the Republiconvicts got too much for America to handle. They sent another bunch of them packing. Next round '10. Unless of course they grow up and start acting like adults....
Factless dribbled out:
The fact that they tried to re elect Ted Stevens says more about their morally corrupt party than every post on every liberal that will ever be posted.
When you stand up and condemn William Jefferson for his bribes, Nancy Pelosi for funneling no-bid contracts to her husband's companies, Charlie Rangel for his tax evasion and illegal use of rent controlled apartment, Barney Frank for running a gay prostitution ring from his house, or any of the other filth in the Slavery Party, then you can talk about Ted Stevens.
Until then, you have no intellectual or moral foundation in any of your worthless rants.
Shanghai @ 57:
I have spoken about all of those so I feel confortable saying that stevens should not be voted for.
As for the GOP, it needs to clean house of all the big government spporters in it. People like McCain. We should demand of our candidates that they tell us where they will cut government. If they can not give a specific agency or department they would cut, then they are not serious and we should not nominate them to be a candidate of ours.
59. I am not in favor of the Stevens candidacy either. But Shanghai Dan, Facts also has to speak up for why it's okay for the democrats in the U.S. Senate to have in their group an actual KKK member named Byrd, when they are constantly accusing everyone ELSE of racism.
I'd vote against Stevens, too... But to single him out when there are crooks - heck, convicted Jim McDermott! - of the Slavery Party sitting in Congress is the height of hypocrisy.
I love how whites are racist because 46% voted for Obama. Yet blacks aren't racist because 5% voted for McCain...
News for Michele. Byrd is no longer a KKK member, as I am no longer a Republicon.
As far as corrupt politicians go, I want them arrested if they broke the law, regardless of which party they belong to. I just wonder if Tom DeLay would turn down the same bag of cash Jefferson was offered. I reeeeeely doubt it. Speaking of corrupt politicians that belong behind bars, he could be the most corrupt in history.
Republicons voted for Stevens THIS WEEK!!!. This is my point. As long as they support pathetic convicted criminals, they will continue to drown in their own filth.
I hear Newt is trying to make a comeback. Now there is a clean politician to provide "new" leadership to the GOP. Yuk.
You are right... Stevens should not be singled out. He is just the latest from either party to get caught and convicted be he is far from different in being currupt.
However this is a thread about what the republicans should do. Saying things like do not vote for a currupt senator like stevens is a valid and probably good suggestion. Responding by saying... 'but the other party is currupt too!!!' is not productive. Be a bigger person than them and just admit that your party had a bad apple, (although again it is probably much more than just one bad apple!) admit he should not have been re-lected, and offer a suggestion on how to move forward.
63. Cato @52: Don't worry. It's only the first of many stupid things he will probably say, showing how bi-partisan and healing he is.
"As a final blow, the economy tanked, largely as a result of deregulation and lax oversight of Wall Street."
Connelly is smoking crack. It is plainly evident from the video evidence that the Democratic party is the party that prevented the increase in oversight of Wall Street.
Republicans will clean house; the GOP will boot him out. That's what we do with our felons, unlike the Slavery Party. We don't say "but they do it too!" We say "we kicked them out, or they resigned - now you do it too".
The GOP tends to get rid of the bad apples; the Slavery Party rallies around theirs.
So I take it that you are on record as demanding William Jefferson to resign, or to be forced from the Slavery Party?
And I take it you are on record of demanding the resignation of Charlie Rangel who has admitted he cheated on his income tax - for 20 years - and has illegally used his rent controlled apartments for political activities?
And I take it you are on record as demanding the resignation of Jim McDermott for his conviction in a violating the privacy of citizens of the US?
Just want you to be clear about your positions...
66. Facts, of course Byrd is no longer in the KKK. Btw, not everyone knows that the KKK was created as sort of a terrorist arm of the democrat party. But I digress...But that doesn't matter. Because if a politician was once in it, they are tainted forever. At least that's how dems think. So we're treating you to your own medicine. Enjoy.
67. Lysander @62: A REALLY GOOD way forward is term limits. That would eliminate entrenched corruption and opportunism nicely, thank you, on both sides, where, by the way, it is rampant. My very favorite way forward is the grooming, starting now, of Jindal for 2010.
68. Sorry, typo. That should read 2012! :)
69. "Byrd is no longer a KKK member
hmmm member? try Grand keagle who said :
I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.
--Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944
he's also voted against both black Supreme courts justices nominated (Marshall,Thomas) and was a rabid opponent of the 1964 civil rights act...leading the fillibuster in fact at the ripe young age of 40 years old. Once a racist, always a racist...Byrd just took off the hood, but still embraces the ideas.
The slavery party is as racist today as it ever was as long as it keeps the relics like Byrd around.
I beleive we need a constitutitional amendment to get term limits. I would favor that amendment.
In the meantime a national vote out the incumbent campaign would work nicely. R or D, they got a go. We would lose a few good ones but overall I think we would be better off if we got rid of the whole bunch.
Excellent use of the TRUE moniker of that leftist group the Slavery Party!
I agree about term limits having to be Constitutional, and in the mean time I do my own work - I vote anti-incumbent in ALL my national and State races...
In the US I live in Edmonds, so my Federal Senators are Slavers, my Federal Representative is a Slaver, my Governor is a Slaver, my State Rep and Senator are Slavers.
And I voted against all of them.
The only incumbents I did not vote against were McKenna, Sutherland, and Sonntag. McKenna and Sutherland because they're new to their positions AND good, and Sonntag because he's been exemplary as an auditor.
And of course I voted against Reed - Sharkansky got my write-in!
But I agree completely - we should just do a clean sweep and start over again...
I have not read all the comments, only the first 20 or so but this one gets to the heart of the problem:
"I always laugh at the leftist fools like Connelly after they win an election giving advice to Republicans about how they should run their party. Just because your guy wins doesn't mean every idea and every thing Republicans did for the past 8 years was wrong."
Laugh if you must at advice from me, and run your party any way you want (it worked for me this year!) but even if R's have good ideas, shrill rantings about socialism are not a good way to present them. You might think McCain had a case to make on taxes but shouting "socialism" and constantly repeating "spread the wealth around" like it was all that needed to be said, without really connecting the dots about why Obama's tax plan would be bad for the average person -- that strategy was a loser.
73. "Excellent use of the TRUE moniker of that leftist group the Slavery Party!
~ Shanghai Dan
Dan: of course I use that term in deference to you as the originator here on SP. Besides, it irritates the left because they know deep down inside, that history has affirmed it as the sad, tragic history of their party. Bravo,sir.
74. @73 ... and Republicans are the party of Reconstruction, using federal troops to occupy Southern states. I presume your party will be bringing that back, right?
Lysander: I'm surprised at your post @ 70. I have never been one to bandy about suggestions of changing the constitution, mostly because it loses its relevance when you start using short sighted logic in doing so (see the 18th and 21st amendments as examples).
If any amendment should be proposed to further our Nation it should be a "balanced budget amendment" that reigns in excessive and wasteful government spending. "term limits" should be left to the citizenry to determine. While I detest human debris like Ted Kennedy retaining his Senate seat year in and year out in MA, it is ultimately up to the people of his state to cut the cord. I can assure you without the "pork" these pigs supply to their constituents, there are going to be by default, self-imposed term limits because they won't be bringing back the bacon from D.C. and the people won't have a reason to keep them around as long.
In doing so, the "balanced budget amendment" would serve two purposes while yours serves only one. Your thoughts?
@74: "I presume your party will be bringing that back, right?
" ~ Quincy M.E.
I'll let wikipedia tell you only a brief history of the Slavery party:
Bull Connor (D) was a Democratic Politician and police official from the city of Birmingham, Alabama during the American Civil Rights Movement. He was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, and a staunch advocate of racial segregation.
As the Public Safety Commissioner of Birmingham, Alabama, in the 1960s, Connor became a symbol of bigotry. He infamously fought against integration by using fire hoses and police attack dogs against protest marchers. The spectacle of this being broadcast on national television served as one of the catalysts for major social and legal change in the South and helped in large measure to assure the passage by the United States Congress of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; thus Connor's tactics dramatically backfired into helping to bring about the very change that he was opposing."
Hmmm? Klan ties, Racist Democrat, adamant opponent of the Civil rights act of 1964? Looks like current ranking Democrat Robert Byrd (D) W.V is the present day Bull Connor without the firehose and dogs....Keeping the hate alive one vote at a time.
Absolutely! As we've seen with Iraq, it's dangerous to win the war and then leave the occupation woefully understaffed... So putting a few hundred thousand troops in the South while rebuilding was a good thing.
Just like we did in Japan and Germany after the end of WWII.
And like in South Korea after the Korean War.
And finally did - in sufficient numbers, thanks to McCain's prodding - in Iraq.
Why, you think it's best to simply win and retreat, a la President Clinton?
78. I am not in favor of the Stevens candidacy either. But Shanghai Dan, Facts also has to speak up for why it's okay for the democrats in the U.S. Senate to have in their group an actual KKK member named Byrd, when they are constantly accusing everyone ELSE of racism.
The Republicans ran a convicted felon for office. He lied under oath -- the same crime Clinton was falsely accused of committing -- but whereas Clinton, like many of his impeachers, lied (not under oath) to cover a tawdry affair, Stevens lied under oath to hide his corruption.
Byrd was in the Klan decades ago, when it was not unusual for a person from his background to join it. He understood the error of his ways, and made amends for his mistakes. Jesse Helms, on the other hand, died as ignorant and malicious as he lived, and everyone agreed he was a true conservative. (A pity he did not live to see North Carolina's electoral votes go to a man of African ancestry!)
That's why you condemn Byrd, and shrug at Jesse. Byrd looked at himself, saw what was wrong, and changed it. Jesse never doubted how right he was, and spent decades denouncing liberals for being against him. Which behavior sounds more familiar to you?
79. Tensor: Byrd was a leader in a domestic terrorist group, just like Ayres, and just like Ayres, he was "mainstreamed". Don't sugar-coat it. One's past actions always do and always should catch up with you, especially if you if you never paid the price for them. And since the KKK hid under robes and hoods like cowards, we will probably never know if Byrd was involved himself in any terrorist acts. I'm sure he won't be telling!
Hey, I'd run Helms right out - and I'd run Byrd out too... Republicans are run out or resign. You Slavery Party hacks like to keep your thieves and crooks close.
And about lying under oath, how about Alcee Hastings? An actual IMPEACHED JUDGE that's a proud member of the Slavery Party.
Or CONVICTED REP Jim McDermott? Convicted of violating the right to privacy - you know, that right that is the foundation for your Slavery Party's baffling leap-of-logic that leads to infanticide? I mean, if Jim McDermott violates the right to privacy, then that means the foundation for abortion rights is also violated!
So any words from you about tossing the admitted tax cheat and housing fraudster Charlie Rangel from the ranks? Or is he just a fine upstanding citizen in your mind?
See, we actually TOSS them out, or they resign. You Slavery Party hacks close ranks and deflect, lie, and bribe to keep your sanctimonious, money grubbing, baby murdering hands close by...
Quincy at 72:
McCain did not have a point regarding taxes. That was the problem. His plan and Obamas were despite all the rhetoric remarkable similar.
I am generally not someone to propose amending the constitution much either. I think the term limit one fits the framers ideas of government though. In there time legislating was a part time job people did to serve their country. Now it is a full time position where the people serve the legislator. Term limits would return us back to having citizen legislators.
A balanced budget amendment seems to be a worthy one but I worry that there maybe times when we do need to temporarily go in debt.
Younger generations have no idea what it was like under Jimmy Carter due to the indoctrination they got in their union provided public schooling/indoctrination.
Reality is a fine school and a fool will learn at no other - Ben Franklin
Get ready folks, you all just got admitted to the school of reality. Graduations begin in 2010 for the advanced students. For slow students like Ivan, we'll be seeing him in class for the next 40 years.
83. Lysander: I used to be in agreement with that idea of term limits. I've since determined it is very undemocratic to oppose the peoples will. If you simply get rid of the incentives, it will accomplish the same goal. Getting rid of the politician and not doing away with the "pork incentives" that drives their existence never solves the problem. There could be a provision for wartime expenditures beyond the "balanced budget" amendement that would alleviate the concern you stated. When government starts living like I live, I'll be satisfied that it is doing the job I sent them to D.C. to carry out.
84. "Byrd was in the Klan decades ago, when it was not unusual for a person from his background to join it. He understood the error of his ways, and made amends for his mistakes.
Hmm...by voting against the civil rights act of 1964 at the age of 40? You're an idiot if you believe a racist pig like Byrd has "changed". Do tell of how he's made 'amends' as well, I'm interested to know.
I have waffled on this position myself quite a bit. I totally understand what you are saying about getting rid of the incentives. My concern is that the incentives never go away so long as we keep getting career politicians.
There is a interesting article in the latest copy of Liberty Magazine (a nationwide magazine published out of Port Townsend). It is about trying a nationwide campaign to vote out the incumbent. It would be hard to encourage peopel to vote out Ron Paul or others like him but the authors point was that unfortunately for it to be a success you would have to throw out a little good to get rid of all the bad.
Lysander: Thanks, I'll check out the article when I find it. I've waivered myself on this, but keep coming back to the axiom that you get the government you deserve. I understand the reasoning behind an amendment on term limits, but I think there are other prudent ways to effect this change without one. Anyone found guilty of an "ethics" violation should automatically be removed from office and be prohibited from running for elective office thereafter. This would rid us of people like Ted Stevens, Duke Cunningham, William "cash" Jefferson, Barney Frank, Larry Craig, Charles Rangel, et al.
The challenge with this proposition is who makes up the "ethics" committeee and will they use partisan politics to influence their decisons?
I wouldn't consider Barbara Boxer exactly a stalwart on ethics even thought she reides on the current board.
87. Bill Ayres the nail bomb planter of the Weather Underground planned after the revolution according to past members to kill in government camps 25 MILLION Amerians/capitalists to cement the Marxist hold on government. I personaly think sometimes reading Joel's spewing of hate towards non socalists, when I can't avoid it, he would be right tbere with Bill on that plan if he could get away with it. It remains to be seen what The Obama will do....As far as Joels advice, why would we take advice from someone who hates, fears and wants to destroy you?