October 23, 2008
Amusing: Burner campaign attempts to spin candidate's "economic degree" problem
Trying to change the subject from Darcy Burner's "I have a degree in economics" fumble, her campaign managed to find an independently prepared website that doesn't state Dave Reichert's education credentials correctly. This apparently is Dave Reichert's fault...or so the Burner campaign seems to be alleging. Never mind that his own Congressional website and campaign site are accurate.
More to the point, the P-I's Gregory Roberts notes:
The Burner campaign cites the synopsis of Reichert's background printed in an official biographical directory from the U.S. Congress. Reichert, though, has frequently been credited in news accounts with just the associate's degree.
Furthermore, is Dave Reichert's college education of decades gone by of any emphasis of his campaign? No. He's running on his established record as a public servant, including his two terms in Congress.
Darcy Burner on the other hand has been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Melissa Santos at Political Buzz:
As I noted in a blog post yesterday, Burner's degree is actually in computer science with a "special field" in economics, but she has failed to make that distinction on the campaign trail. Unlike Reichert, she's mentioned her degree numerous times at campaign events and debates, especially when talking about her ability to deal with today's problems in the economy.
Burner tried to claim a degree she doesn't hold. Her course load in economics is the approximate equivalent to a minor. When citing one's degree, does one say one has a degree in one's major (computer science for Burner), or in one's minor?
In addition, does anyone think five classes in economics at Harvard is really the linchpin of what persuadable voters in the 8th Congressional District are looking for in a Representative? Probably not.
What has been revealing is Burner's response to the whole affair. Today's Times story says:
Questions about Burner's degree originated with the National Republican Congressional Committee. Burner said The Seattle Times was being "punk'd" by the Republicans, a reference to the MTV television series featuring Ashton Kutcher playing practical jokes on celebrities.
"This should be more than people playing stupid semantic gotcha games," Burner said.
Couple that with her Twitter yesterday on the same topic:
It's bad enough Republicans baldly lie. But the MSM press aids and abets. I am, at this moment, glad both institutions are failing.
Is Darcy "FISA sucks!" really demonstrating the maturity one should rightly expect from a Member of Congress?
Inflating her own academic credentials aside, it sure doesn't appear so.
Posted by Eric Earling at October 23, 2008
06:55 PM | Email This
1. "Glad MSM is failing" - so does that mean her service for the Committee for a Two Newspaper Town wasn't done with a fervent regard for the importance of newspapers?
Goldy's in full meltdown over at his barnyard site with this latest blatant Burner distortion of her record...of course, being the Burner minion he is, he's attacking anyone that dares question Burner's lame excuse of why she'd lie about having a Degree in economics when it is in fact a Computer science degree.
Fight back for Darcy... and for ourselves
by Goldy, 10/23/2008, 2:49 PM
"The Times delivered Reichert a steaming pile of s**t, neatly tied up in a ribbon."~ David Goldstein- Water carrier for Darcy Burner
...that even tops Burner's "Fisa sucks" in immaturity, but what can you expect from a daily Kos reader like Goldstain?
When he didn't get much traction making excuses for patty Murray lite, he decided to start down the road of "well, Reichert obviously lied about his education", which reeks not only of desperation, but desperate blogging in order to reverse the irreparable damage Burner has done to herself with her resume puffing (apparently she didn't learn her lesson from the "microsoft executive" gaffe from the last election)
Sour grapes anyone?
3. I watched Darcy speak at the Overlake Rotary yesterday. It was obvious that she was well versed in economics. As one of the guests said "could you imagine Dave Reichert explaining a theory like that?"
4. @3. Hey! How 'bout that? No one has ever suggested Burner couldn't regurgitate learnings from her college textbooks. Being "well versed in economics" is not the same as claim to have a degree from a recognized top tier school. Hell, hardend criminals end up becoming "well versed" in many subjects while availing themselves of the prison library. So, what's your point?
As sheriff, Dave Reichert actually worked with a budget, quite successfully. That's called actual real-world economics in practice.
Sitting around and chatting about it or preparing a canned speech? Not so much...
6. Reichert was a pawn for Tom DeLay, Cheney, and Bush. We need to clean-up this mess and throw all the bums out.
7. We need to clean-up this mess and throw all the bums out.
I whole heartedly agree.
Let's start with Senators Obama and and Biden.
8. What can you say about a Candidate who's supporters post under "sarahslutpalin" gmail accouts. It fits the whole HA scenario perfectly. Are these really the kind of people we want representing us in Congress? I do not think so.
9. I'm not crazy about Caribou B, but are you talking about on posts on this blog? There are Liberals who are jerks and there are Conservatives who are jerks. Could you elaborate on this "sarahslutpalin" thing. You say "her supporters, maybe it's just one.
Back to the post that asked me what my point was? I think she did study Economics at Harvard and it was part of her curiculun, I think it's not a blatant lie. If Dave Reichert made the same claim, I would have exactly the same opinion. I just don't want Reichert to represent the 8th.
I don't think this is that big of a deal.
Take a look at Todd's gmail address in this post. Then take a trip to HA which Darcy used to link to on her campaign website, feel the love. Darcy gets downright defensive about not being active in a position of public responsibility. She doesn't volunteer, no charity work. She doesn't serve on any committees or commissions, she hasn't been appointed to any committees or commissions by her Party supporters who want us to vote for her and who control the appointment process. Why? Apparently she simply wants to be placed into office by virtue of having gone to Harvard.
Snniffffff ssssooooooooobbbbbbbb....MOOOMMMY I demand to get to go to Congress! Mooommmy I will eat my peas tonight if I get to go to congress. Daaaadddyyyyyyyy PROMMMISED meeeeeeee!!!! BBBlllllaaahhhhhh wwwwhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhh.
Folks this entitlement mentality has got to find the end of the road somewhere. Can we start with this, tragic figure of a girl-child woman? Please someone take her aside and just talk to her about being respoinsible, having a little interegity and a little accountability.
If we keep electing these kids to be the rule makers soon they will detroy the rules and make us all change their diapers. In that vacuum what will come in -whoa boy do we really want to go there?
She didn't say that she had a minor in economics from Harvard. She didn't say that she studied economics at Harvard. She didn't say that she knows something about economics.
She said that she got a degree in economics at Harvard.
That's the issue. It's a bald-faced lie, intended to boost her qualifications over her opponent at a time when our country is suffering one of the worst economic disasters it has ever seen in recent decades. Had she been on a witness stand making that statement she'd now be facing perjury charges. Don't you think the people of the 8th CD deserve the truth?
13. Hogan @ 11:
We're already changing their diapers. We call them bailouts, deficits, etc.
Here is the bottom-line:
DARCY BURNER IS A SERIAL LIAR busted by the Sheriff and his deputies.
She lied about an Economics Degree from Harvard, She lied about being a Microsoft Executive when she was really a less than mediocre barely a middle-manager, and she even lied about her Ames Lake Association work!!
Why did she lie? 2 reasons:
1) She wanted to puff her resume to show leadership & education experience to solve our Nation's problems.
2) She has a major character flaw. She lies when the truth will do and does so, convinced that even if caught, the MSM will not bust her.
OR perhaps she suffers from severe dillusional episodes. Neither one is good.
15. If Darcy had a son named "Trac" or "Trig" and Palin was not the VP choice, you guys would nail her on that.
Things are always worst when your opponent does it.
Espessially in the last month. I don't remember all this negativity when Heidi was going up against Dunn.
I'm starting to believe this has gone beyond amusing. This woman has claimed to be a good match for the district due to her technology savvy. She goes out of her way to try to come off like a responsible adult, at least through her appearance. She wears pearls and conservative pantsuits and fake glasses. And then she totally reverses the image she is trying to create, by proving she has the mentality of a teenager. "FISA sucks", "pun'k", twittering as "TuffGrrl". Yeah, that's the level of maturity we need representing us. No thanks, TuffGrrl. And she is supposedly ahead in the polls now. I guess the dumbing down of the electorate is complete.
"Good luck with that kiddo" - Joe Biden
Yeah, but if it were Palin and she had claimed a degree she didn't have, the media would go in to such a frenzy, that she would disqualified altogether. That's the difference, with Darcy, since she is on the left, she gets a pass for inflating her resume. Both by saying she was an MS Executive, which was largely ignored last cycle, and this time by claiming she has a degree in economics, which she does not.
She's obviously got an inflated opinion of herself. And its disingenuous. Why does she need to inflate her image if she is such a great candidate?
The voters will decide that she is making these immature mistakes, just like they did last cycle.
Can someone please tell me why they would even consider voting for Darcy Burner? What experience does she bring to the table that says she is even remotely fit for public office? And please give an answer that points out her positives, not the negatives of her opponent.
Darcy ought to at least try serving on a city council (or something similar) before running for a higher office. She should show us that she is qualified to represent her constituents and actually get something done. And then consider running for a higher office when she has some real experience, instead of the support of Dems from outside her district.
19. How did someone so dumb get into Harvard? I guess mommy and daddy had some strings they pulled.
Mike Barely-there posted:
I don't remember all this negativity when Heidi was going up against Dunn.
I don't remember Heidi lying about her career or education, either...
21. Although this thread has clearly run it's course, I just had a thought. In the last paragraph of the Times story concerning Darcy's lie, it was stated that transcripts of her Harvard record were given to the Times by the campaign. OK, great, let's say we publish them, you fine folks at the Times. Considering she is running for Federal office, and her 7 years getting a B.S. degree is indeed by far the longest time she spent doing anything in her life (followed closely by running for Congress), shouldn't the voters get to see how she performed? She's now running on her education, so what kind of grades did she get? She wants us to believe she is the smartest person on Earth, and that she, and she alone, is uniquely qualified to solve all the nation's problems from Iraq, to the economy. So let the voters see her grades, and judge for themselves. I know, never happen, but I had to say it anyway.
22. My parting shot Mr Ameslaker, I support Darcy Burner because I believe that she represents the district. I think that can be shown in the way the district has voted in the last 10 years and the legislator who have been elected. When I moved into the district, it was as safe for Jennifer Dunn as the 7th was for McDermott. Dave seems to be winning by increasingly smaller margins and always by running very negatively, now I would like to point out that I have voted for Reichert when he was running for sheriff.
But hey, you guys are partisans. I just don't see how you can question Darcy's intellect. She is very clear and articulate.
Why don't you go back to blogging about what you ate for dinner and posting pictures of your cat. Political discourse is for us adults. And if it's all the same to you, I prefer Ms.
What is up with the Democrats and their continual lies. As a democrat, I believe that it makes us all look bad. When I ran in the primary, I continually heard people say that they were not going to vote, because all politicans are liars and/or crooks. They have a point. For example:
Al Gore invented the internet.
Christine Gregoire has a budget surplus.
Darcy Burner was a MicroSoft Executive and has a degree in Economics.
Hillary Clinton had to dodge sniper fire in Bosnia.
I was a delegate for Hillary and she lost my vote when she LIED. I have been the Sarah Palin of the Washington State Democratic Party. It is time someone in our party took a stand to stop the lines and it was the reason I have attack Burner and Gregorie. They makes us all look bad.
25. Burner exaggerated her credentials. Bottom line. Looking at her previous claims it seems to be a habit. I'll pass on Burner this election.