August 29, 2008
Some Further Points on the Palin Pick
- It is impossible to put into words the immediate jump in enthusiasm from the conservative base, for the Republican ticket, now that Sarah Palin is on it. Some liberals and Karl Rover-haters will look down their noses at that fact, but I note that the GOP record in Presidential Elections of the last 30 years or so where its base is motivated is pretty darn good.
- Critics of Palin ought to be judicious in what targets they select; their incoming volleys could so easily backfire. Out of the gate the initial reaction from the left has been to lambast her experience, claim she's somehow ethically challenged, and mock her small town roots.
That doesn't seem to wise in the long run:
1) Her life story is impressive. More importantly it's one that most average Americans identify with directly...which is not exactly a forte of Obama-Biden. Let's not even get going on the comical irony of the Obama campaign claiming Palin lacks adequate experience for the job she's seeking.
2) Have "bitter" Democrats not already figured out that condescending to small-town American isn't wise? Do they not recall that the Bush campaign won Ohio in 2004 by, in part, running up the score in small town and rural communities - even in the face of soaring turnout in Democratic, urban strongholds?
3) Say what you want about Palin, but she made her political career what it is by actively campaigning against a corrupt good old boys network so repulsive that most Republicans outside Alaska would just as soon see Don Young and Ted Stevens retired forthwith. Her telling that story plays right into John McCain's established reputation as a reformer. Bringing up ethics with her is like asking Mike Huckabee about the Bible: an exceptionally effective response is highly probable.
4) On a related point, one doesn't run - and win - against said good old boys network, against party bosses, and against established incumbents unless one has confidence, tenacity, and real political talent. There is always the risk that Palin could underwhelm on the campaign trail, but it seems unlikely her career would have reached this point if she didn't have an existing, inherent ability to convey a compelling message to voters.
- Lastly, today's well-played Palin announcement totally buried Obama's huge speech performance last night. No doubt his performance will buoy Democrats and excite left-leaning independents already leaning Obama's direction. But the bounce of most conventions is built off of the buzz of its aftermath.
Where's the buzz now? Consumed by the Palin story and soon to be eclipsed further by the looming GOP convention.
Now if Gustav would just behave...
Posted by Eric Earling at August 29, 2008
06:36 PM | Email This
The amazing Palin buzz: I think it's borne out of the fact that when we woke up this morning and turned on the news, there was this governor from Alaska speaking to the nation for the first time, and IT BLEW OUR SOCKS OFF just how effective and genuine a speaker she came off as. I've never seen anyone like her. She said all the right things and oozed genuineness and passion, as opposed to the usual uninspiring political drivel Biden fed the cameras.
The Obama-ites can't criticize her much, because while she's not been in the political whirlpool as long as John McCain has, she brings actual accomplishments as a reformer in her state, while Obama still hasn't managed to tell us what his accomplishments while in office are.
2. But but Obama was a community organizer and he associated with the great Reverend Wright, errr....
3. Actually if Gustav does misbehave that works too... it shows the nation (again) how adults behave during an emergency. I hear tha Bobby Jindal, who is/was scheduled to speak on Monday is staying with his citizens in Louisiana. Speaking to America in that venue for that reason will be powerful.
4. I'm waiting for the first time someone questions how she can be an effective candidate/VP when she has a young child who will need his mother to be available...so she can immediately turn the table and say, "the same way that Joe Biden was sworn into the Senate 36 years ago while his children were recovering from the car accident that took their mother's life." Frankly, it is one of the things about Biden that I truly admire and it would be the height of sexism for the Ds to attack her for choosing to serve while also being needed at home! I would hope that Joe Biden would be the first to defend her if such attacks come...anybody want to place bets as to how soon it will start?
In a word, the Palin pick is brilliant.
The McCain Ticket now becomes insulated against a host of attacks from the Left, and Palin serves as a giant mirror on experience issues: every attack centering on Palin's experience or age will reflect glaringly back on Obama.
And Palin is just the VP! What will it say about Dems when they attack Palin and those attacks point right back at the Dem Big Cheese?
6. Greatest roll of the dice in Presidential campaign history!!!! What if the aging McCain dies in office????? I can see the bumperstickers now -"WOULD YOU GIVE AN ATOM BOMB TO THE MAYOR OF WASILLA, AK??????? Yikes.
7. Folks, this is an amazing woman! Check out this site:
8. Rocketdog #6,
Mayor of Wasilla-Community Organizer, Everybody has to start somewhere!
9. Wow, she's an aviator. That's pretty interesting. I wish we had a charismatic renaissance governor like Palin.
10. Over at Daily KOS, one of their wacko writers is speculating that Governor Palin faked her pregnancy to cover for her teenage daughter. Many of their kool-aid drinkers are jumping on that bandwagon. You couldn't make this stuff up! (thank you KOS)
11. I'm waiting for the first time someone questions how she can be an effective candidate/VP when she has a young child who will need his mother to be available...
The same way she was a council woman, a mayor and a governor: with the help of the "First Dude" as she calls him.
Besides, isn't that EXACTLY what darcy's lemmings screech when someone brings up her distinct lack of time on hunt... er, campaign trail instead of with poor henry?
I'm just amazed that when the shoe is on the other foot, you're amusingly blind to your hypocrisy. Man... Republicans must be desperate if this is the best y'all can come up with.
So what are you going to do when McCain loses? Will you cry? Moan? Pout? Complain about how the world isn't fair?
I'll revel in that, I must say.
I just spent a half hour at The Huffington Post. Those people are not disapointed in Palin's selection, they are ANGRY! Music to my ears.
So Demo Kid, were FDR, Clinton, and Carter unqualified? ...Sorry, Let me rephrase that. Were FDR and Clinton unqualified?
Eric - One problem you haven't addressed yet is the timing of the announcement coming on a Friday, the slowest news day of the week because it is the one that people pay the least amount of attention to.
While perhaps the Palin selection has Republicans "buzzing", perhaps as much in shock as in glee, it has underwhelmed in Democratic circles and hardly taken much away from the path ahead that people are focusing on. While Obama's speech was a big event, that was yesterday and the focus is on November 4th.
We'll see how Palin fares, but at this point the question few seem to be answering is why she was selected over the vastly more experienced women in the Republican party that were possible choices, such as Kay Bailey Hutchinson.
Another question that hasn't been addressed is why this pick was made in the first place. By selecting Palin isn't McCain effectively saying that the primary reason for his choice is to try and persuade women, especially those disenchanted Clinton supporters, to vote for his ticket because, look, there is a women on his ticket, and women will vote for a woman, any woman, regardless of their policies and beliefs? Should that be the criteria for the second highest office in the land, as opposed to experience and qualifications?
Better call back that psychiatrist you visited right after Bush got elected because you are gonna need Psych counselling...AGAIN! I think if you act right away, you can avoid the rush to get Canadian citizenship.
On the day Obama announced his lame VP Biden, I said to my wife that McCain would be really smart to choose a woman.
I'd like to say I wasn't surprised, but I was floored by his choice. I now wait to see if Obama's 8 point bounce lasts past the weekend.
17. Anyone who is against Palin is a mysogynist. There, how does your own medicine feel DEMOCRATS???
18. Real nice to see the bottom of the GOP ticket has more experience than the top of the dims.
A little cheese with that whine there factless and demo kid?
The timing wasn't FRIDAY, although it occurred on Friday, the timing was to take the FRIDAY NEWS CYCLE from the at the barrypalloza... which it did quite well, thank you very much.
Your comment may have rung true if it was announced after 3pm Eastern. As it was, my phone rang at 7:20AM with the news.
bHo's ho hum laundry list of typical liberalism was lost in the cheering and angst about the Maverick and the Lady.... all day long AND though the evening news cycle!
well, that was supposed
to be: from THE TOGA PARTY
at the barrypalooza...
Ahh, well... it's actually quite fun reading how y'all are grasping at straws. Quayle was a pander. This is a pleasant gift to the Democrats. Biden and Clinton will shred Palin to bits.
But by the day, I'm also realizing that this country truly will be destroyed if the Democrats don't win. Makes defeating you folks an imperative.
22. Biden and Clinton will shred Palin to bits.
I strongly suggest you remember the name RICK LAZIO and what happened to him when he merely walked over to hillary in a debate.
Can't have it both ways kiddies, no matter if that's the bait with which your socialist leaders hooked you.
And that's the beauty of this pick: she has strong conservative credentials, she's young but has served her community for 16years, she lives the values she preachs and she absolutely blunts any game the Empty Suit/Stuffed Shirt ticket attempt to try.
Unions? Hubby belongs.
Disabled? Gave birth to a specila needs child.
Feminist? Leads her state while raising a family.
Military? Mom of a soldier about to be deployed.
Environment? None more closely dedicated to the land than a hunter.
Economics? She cut the budget and sold her state plane on eBay. AND she drives herself!
Basketball? She took her team to the state championships... makes bHo look like a midnight game player.
Corruption? She took on her own party.
The list goes on...
23. Elton John, are you out there?
"But by the day, I'm also realizing that this country truly will be destroyed if the Democrats don't win. Makes defeating you folks an imperative."
D-Kid - If you want to play that way, we want to destroy your country - before your country destroys us ! We'll aim to destroy your country with the truth and shoot down your factions half-truths and bad judgments from you spoiled brats on the left.
I am incredibly pleased that Demo kid has sprung out of his sewer to try so hard to dampen enthusiasm for Palin.
Given that Palin has more time as a Governor than Obama had as a senator when he started running for President full time, and given that Alaska is certainly bigger than that "community" that Obama sought to organize, I will enjoy watching Demo Kid and his ilk talk trash about how little experience she has. It's the kind of trap I really love to see overconfident idiots step into. The more the left trashed her with this kind of thing, the more you just know there will be a major media effort by the McCain camp to point out exactly those facts.
If only "All facts support my Delusions" would pipe in about how offended he is that the GOP found such a "unqualified candidate" it would really make my weekend.
Unfortunately, I'm going to guess he's either too busy sitting under his desk crying and sucking his thumb or just maybe smoking weed and beer bonging in preparation for stage diving tomorrow ad Bumpershoot.
28. I Love me some Obama but even I was glad to hear the Palin pick.
So you are saying that picking a rookie politician from Alaska will somehow make up for the damage the GOP has done to America in the last 8 years in the voter's minds?
Like we are all going to forget?
1.78 million bankruptcies last year because of medical bills.
I also love how Palin wants to force rape victims to bear the child of their rapist. (sick) That will go down great with Hillary's 18 million supporters.... She was also for the bridge to nowhere before she was against it. Just like grandpa McCain. flippin and floppin
You can fantasize all you want. Obama will win all the Kerry states, plus Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, and possibly Montana, North Dakota, and Georgia. McSame just won Alaska today. Woohoo!!!
Governor Schweitzer told me a while back Obama could not win in Montana, but who knows. He may be wrong on this one....
And johnny is right. I bet she couldn't even find Iraq on a map. An idiot, just like 2/3'rds of todays school children that also couldn't find Iraq on a map. Or maybe the 55% of Americans that think Saddam helped Bin Laden attack us on 9-11, thanks to the msm propaganda machine.
I was watching Bill Moyers by the way. Like he said "conservative economic policies have failed, and we just need to know what will replace them" or something like that. Trickle up just ain't cuttin' it any more and we all know it.
#17: haha, pbj, way to feed them their own drivel back to them. Hope it sounds as weird to them as it does to us!
Frankly, I personally don't NEED a female candidate. I could have been thrilled with Jindal, as well. He's awesome. But he's busy actually doing useful planning for his state which may face another hurricane, unlike some democrat LA governors before him who wanted the power but not the responsibility of leadership in tough times.
But re the female candidate thing, I don't care the gender---I just want a great candidate, period. Palin is great! A real firecracker!
LOVE Sarah Palin, Thank You John McCain ... never thought I would say that.
Finally, I'll start sending checks to the Republican Party again. Watch the power of real conservativism ... just watch it. I just heard her on CNBC and OH MY GOD an articulate woman DEFENDING the good people of the OIL and GAS industry instead of the demonizing that goes on so often as we all go broke under the thumb of the anti-industry enviro lobby.
You know. If she really has been trying to clean up her corrupt party, then I applaud her. She will have a lot of work to do. Don't count on KKKarl, or the Justice Department to help. They are covering for the cronies.
We need Republiconvicts that want to lock up all their corrupt buddies, as well as any corrupt Dems. To hell with the "conservative" idea that is is not a crime if a Republicon committed it.
I heard Gore Vidal call the GOP the mafia today on Air America. I couldn't agree more. Just ask Joe/Valeria Wilson. Just ask Don Siegelman. The list is reeeeeeel long.
You do realize that the statistics you're citing on bankruptcies is essentially saying _ALL_ bankruptcies are due to medical bills.
34. I swore off for the weekend... whoopsie. You are all too much fun. I think despite disagreeing about everything including probably the actual state of matter itself I empathise with Palin more than most turncoat big government neocons. She presents more tactical problems for the cons that have to get down to earth than her opponents really do. There is no K Street playbook for this move. The views she espouses are why I am no longer a 'conservative' but her real actions are louder than her memorized talking points and well... good for her. I hope she brings some true candor and confusion. That is, after all, the trump card of the west.... isn't it?
35. Acid Brain - your name is fully descriptive. Lay off the psychedelic drugs.
All Facts @ 29:
You're not going to have many people pay attention to you when you speak like that.
I'd like to point out that most women who get raped don't become pregnant. If they do, that's a very tough situation, but they can carry to term and then drop the baby off on the doorstep of a hospital, and it will be a ward of the state. Or she can give it up for adoption. Murder of an innocent child isn't the answer.
#32: How has the Arugula Prince cleaned up the corrupt Chicago Democrat Political Machine??
And yes, Cydney---here's some food for thought: If some creep rapes a woman and she gets pregnant (which thankfully doesn't happen too often but certainly HAS happened), shouldn't the creep get executed along with the baby if the woman chooses abortion in that case? Why should only the baby die in that case?
And I did hear about a woman who was raped when her husband was gone from the house (can you imagine how horrible he felt not being there to protect her?), and she actually felt she should not kill the baby that was conceived that day. It's clear the rapist was of a different race, so it's not even like people wouldn't know something was different about that child compared with her other children. But interestingly, she has a daughter from that traumatic event and while she never ever would have chosen to have that happen (obviously), loves that little girl with all her heart. Just something to present here that I know I hadn't heard about before, and others may find interesting food for thought.
38. Michele - OMG. That's just so horrible. 99% of women would abort.
It is too bad that the lefties are so afraid of a strong woman. Palin is a reformer with executive experience. No, she doesn't have a son who is a lobbyist, like Joe Biden has. No, she hasn't ridden the coattails of her husband, like Hillary has. And no, she hasn't made her political career out of making great speeches, but with no accomplishments to back up the big talk.
Notice how demokid said "Biden and CLinton will tear her to shreds" see even he realizes Obama would not be able to stand toe to toe with Palin.
As for Biden trying to take her to task, maybe but only if he can manage not to stick his foot in his mouth in the process (remember Biden was the one who called Obama an articulate African American and we all now how well that went over with the voters).
Someone should ask her if we should continue to have government serve large corporations, and the super wealthy, or if we need change?
If America should continue it's economic death spiral, or if we should pull out, tax the haves, and stop the plundering of the treasury with zero oversight?
How many murders a gallon does she support?
Why she hates polar bears?
If she thinks George Bush is a great president, or a pathetic lying criminal?
If she cheated on her husband, like her running mate cheated on his crippled wife?
Let's see how she responds.....
42. Somebody's a bit "bitter" today....well All Facts Support My Positions is a democrat so chances are he is not clinging to any guns......
43. All Facts Support My Positions why not ask Obam why he lied about his working relationship with William Ayers and why he and his campaign are trying to stifle first ammendment rights of the AIP and Stanley Kutz who have exposed his lies.....
So if grandpa McCain wins, and then croaks, what would make her qualified to be the most powerful person in the world? The fact that she is a right winger? A small town mayor that is anti-abortion, and loves oil companies?
I am sure that will play well at the Kremlin. Putin would swallow her whole, not stopping to chew.
P.S. I know six year olds that could hunt moose. Does that make them qualified to be president too?
When your only hope of GOTV is appealing to lunatics that think the world is only 6,000 years old, and god drowned New Orleans because gays were gonna have a parade, you have to pull out all the stops.
If these lunatics (people stupid enough to trust the GOP to do anything but rob them) weren't destroying America, it would be funny.
45. So instead you would like to put a man without any accompolishments directly into the driver seat? Kinda makes your argument irrelevant now doesn't it?
46. She is more qualified than Obama. That is a loosing argument.
Look. This is pretty obvious. It will take a whole lot of people a whole lot of convincing that a rookie 44 year old Governor from Alaska is ready to be President. Nothing unreasonable about that. There are about 60 days left to make the case.
That fact seems at odds with McCain's country first message. It makes him appear to be a candidate first. Which is fine. He's just going to need a new tune.
I wouldn't be so quick to headline a big conservative embrace. In my conservative family people question the priorities of a woman who puts her career above kids at home. I don't agree with them. But you gotta admit it is out there and there's nothing McCain can do about it. Sound bites from Ralph Reed or Tony Perkins can't help her there either.
I also think she completely turned off anybody who voted for Hillary yesterday. Hillary supporters were voting for experience and passion on a variety of mostly liberal causes. Palin obviously can't compare, and to welcome the compare was a HUGE mistake.
I will say that Palin has a great, if short, American biography. I felt a warm flush of goodwill for her when she walked on that stage yesterday. I like her. Other people will too.
But she is clearly not ready to be President. The thought of her being President is scary. I sorta doubt that's going to change in 60 days.
48. Jan what you said can hold some truth, but if that is the case then why vote for Obama. He has far less acccomplishments and is only 3 years older; yet the Democrats want you to vote for him as the President? If you truly believe what you are saying about Palin as the VP then how can you even consider voting for Obama?
I love it true soldier. McCain picks an anti-science creationist to run with. He thinks that moving backwards is the answer to America's problems. There's judgment for you!
And you want to defend him?
Obama had accomplished more before he went to the Senate in Illinois than Bush had accomplished before disgracing the White House. It's not fair comparing anyone to bankruptcy Bush. I am sorry.
Burn the constitution, and have Jesus Law instead right Palin? I am more qualified to be president than you are. I can shoot better too.
True Soldier. McCain is surrounded by people far slimier than Ayers could ever dream of being. Corporate terrorists. The REAL TERRORISTS. They are running his frigging campaign, and want to run our country. Give it up. Turn off Hannity, and Rush, and go outside. Be thankful people like me are keeping them from running our government even more than they already are.
Maybe read Thomas Frank's "The Wrecking Crew" and learn about how "conservative economics" are destroying America.
And to think. All the right wingers would be perfectly satisfied with Bush's/Brownie's FEMA if Rainier blew tomorrow. Bush's "America you are on your own" action plan. The "Let them suffocate while I party with McCain action plan" right George. They could praise Bush while they buried their families, thankful for the Grover Norquist's death to bathtub sized government ideology.
I see the media has settled on their description of McCain's pick: "choosing Palin was like a Hail Mary pass".
Even better than the "gravitas" line they used when Bush selected Dick Cheney.
51. All facts last time I checked McCain/Paulin are running against Obama/Biden; yet you on the left cant seem to figure that out. You always have to try to make it appear that Obama is running against Bush. Is it because you are still bitter over Bush winning not once, but twice (just curious). Anyway, I know I wont convince you of anything just as you wont convince me of anything so I will let you get back to your ranting. Have a nice day.
52. Have a great day/weekend too soldier. I know yer gonna laugh, but I am getting ready to go to France in a couple days. All right, all right. Stop laughing...
Actually, factless, I believe YOU to be "a pathetic, lying criminal."
Everything from your corruptibly bizarre name choice (which is an increasingly strident lie, as are your Palin pronouncements, DNC/Kos/moveon.org talking points all attest) to your increasingly desperate lack of confidence in the suit/shirt campaign.
Now, that lack of confidence IS understandable, given how the wheels have come off what once was (until the idiotic selection of Biden) a formidable effort. But spewing your bittetrness here? Along with that shrill dumbo kid?
Look... there IS help for you out there... you CAN actually grasp reality.
And so far, you and the legion of other trolls here with you seem to be unable to get a handle on it.
Now, repeat after me the words of Saint Biden: Barry OhDrama is not ready to be president. Barry OhDrama is not ready to be president. Barry OhDrama is not ready to be president. Barry OhDrama is not ready to be president.
You should expect to see it often. And after suit/shirt have completed there massive effort to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, you'll see this utterly stupid VP pick by OhDrama as one of the main reasons you and your fellow leftists have been, once again, kicked to the curb.
You DO get that.... Wright?
Not enough coffee hinton?
Name one thing the Bush Crime Family has done that has been good for America.
Lack of confidence? I have confidence that the American People are waking up. They are tired of being lied to, and subjected to fake terror alerts, and policies that only help the top 1% and large corporations, while the rest of America sinks.
No lipstick for that pig hinton.
It really does not matter if John McCain/ Sarah Palin are not perfect. Nor does it matter that we all know the Bush has been lame in many areas. What matters is that the left wants to go way too far and elect a Socialist, and Americans are beginning to wake up to that and reject it soundly.
And note that if the trolls must come here and screech, McCain's strategy is working perfectly. Palin has taken almost all of the air out of Obama's speech. And Palin is very strong on oil and energy which polls show resonates well with the vast majority of the electorate.
For the left, the message has shifted away from the positives they see in Obama and to attacking Palin. We all know what that means. When we shift our focus to tearing down others it reveals what we perceive as our own inadequacies that we want to hide.
But please keep it up trolls. Your energy is much better wasted here, than spent on helping Obama.
56. Joe Biden voted against the Alaska oil pipeline. How foolish does that vote look now? He has been in the senate so long, it makes you wonder if he voted against the trancontinental railroad too.
57. Joe Biden voted against the Alaska oil pipeline. How foolish does that vote look now? He has been in the senate so long, it makes you wonder if he voted against the trancontinental railroad too.
58. But she is clearly not ready to be President. The thought of her being President is scary
Neither were Abraham Lincoln and FDR and the whole kaboodle of Presidents in between. And the thought of Obama as President is REALLY scary - his only executive experience was his appointment (not election) to run the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, in which he shovelled out 110 million dollars to murky activists and completely failed to improve student performance in the Chicago public schools.
Now he proposes to shovel as many dollars as the US military receives, into a vastly larger gang of 'activists' whose job will be to 'organize' urban areas ACORN-style to hijack elections and undermine local politics by Federally-funded partisan crusading. No thanks.
"All Facts" (how's that for a misnomer) said I also love how Palin wants to force rape victims to bear the child of their rapist.
Really, how dense can you be? Do you really believe a mean Sarah Palin is locking up rape victims and forcing them to bear children. Have you never heard of the morning-after pill, or taking a heavy dose of birth controls pills? How many ways does one need to prevent pregnancy without having to rip a growing child into mush?
I'm surprised you don't choke on your own bile.
Every time the left tries to elect a socialist they lose big. The only time they managed to disguise a socialist as a "moderate" was with Jimmy Carter. We all know what happened to him.
The left loves to throw poll numbers in our faces when it suits their ends. I don't ever hear them quoting polls that show that Americans massively favor domestic oil drilling, or that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid's Congress has the lowest approval rating in history.
I spent last weeked among rural folks who traditionally vote for Democrats. I didn't bring up politics, I just listened. They are sick of hearing about "global warming". My sense was that votes for Obama outside of delusional liberal enclaves like Seattle are going to be mighty scarce. Tapping Palin probably sealed the deal.
Inside their insular ivory tower urban bubble liberals are convinced the country leans to the left. Well, they must not be entirely convinced or they wouldn't be pushing so hard for a return of the "fairness doctrine".
From today's Rasmussen Poll:
"Saturday, August 30, 2008
The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Saturday is the first to include reaction to both Barack Obama's acceptance speech and John McCain's selection of Sarah Palin to be his running mate. The numbers are little changed since yesterday and show Barack Obama attracting 47% of the vote nationwide while John McCain earns 43%. When "leaners" are included, it's Obama 49% and McCain 45%."
Only a 4 point bounce. Amazingly poor. The Dems predicted a 12 point lead!
Think about it--
O-blah-blah reads & screams from his teleprompter to a rabid crowd the best speech someone else could have written...and he goes virtually nowhere.
O-blah-blah will pull defeat from the jaws of certain victory....
The debates will decide the election.
Can't wait for Palin to take on Loose Cannon Joe and ask him what has changed in the past few weeks since he twice said O-blah-blah was not qualified and then emphasized it by saying "I stand by that remark!"
Can't wait for Smilin' Joe's bob & weave answer.
62. Does anyone else get really depressed when they start comparing the governor we have here compared to Alaska's?
I laughed and cheered when I heard this announcement. Whatever McCain thought he was going to get from Sarah Palin, her inadequacies pale in comparison.
Solidify Clinton folks? Only the few dumbies that only voted because they wanted a woman. Clinton supporters (and Clinton) will work their asses off to makes sure Palin DOESN'T win because they are not going to let Palin (of all people) be the first woman VP. No way, no how.
Anti-abortion? Might shore up the evangelicals, sure. But the problem is, those people are very conservative. A woman, with 5, count 'em 5 kids (one is an young adult), leaving her children to be VP? And one of them is a baby with special needs? Not in their world view.
And that leads to men overall. We all know that Obama faces a racist element in this country. You think that Palin won't face out and out sexism? Absolutely and there are many men who simply won't vote for her.
Let's not get started on her less than broad experience.
It's a non-starter.
Oh, and please, let's just see how she stands up to Joe Biden in a debate. Fun for the whole family.
P.S. I'm a woman so this is not anti-woman.
P.S.S. Obama's acceptance speech got more viewers than the Olympics opening ceremony, the Academy Awards, or the final of American Idol. Think McCain's going to put up those numbers? Sure.
64. All 'Facts' @ 44: Palin has more relevant experience than Obama, McCain, and Biden combined, being the only candidate to have run something larger than a 50 staffer organization in the world's most important debating society. I'd say you're a misogynist for trying to diminish her accomplishments by leaving out her tenure as Governor in your tirade, but that would just be a guess. I'll take her few distinguished years of chief executive experience over decades of legislative experience in the cases of Biden and McCain or a few years of legislative experience in the case of Obama.
65. Palin is a refreshing change and certainly adds a new element of 'honesty' and determination to the fray...but I'm afraid that won't do it for McCain. Sen Obama has captured the imagination of the American public...ergo voters and is poised to win this thing unless something surfaces with enough impact to cause a change in current perception. I say this with dismay, as I don't think I can vote for Sen Obama...despite my support for Sen Clinton. I just may have to sit this one out. Lo siento mucho. :(
66. But she is clearly not ready to be President. The thought of her being President is scary.
Good thing she's not running for president then, huh.
Every minute you spend talking about her 'inexperience' all you do is highlight the shortcomings of not your veep, but your actual nominee.
If you were smart, you'd stop. But if you were smart, 'stupid Chimpy' wouldn't have knocked you around. Twice.
I have one simple question. What makes Palin more qualified to be a heartbeat away from all the other Republican Women?
McCain at Saddleback named Meg Whitman (former EBay chair) as someone he would turn to when elected. What make's Palin more qualified than Whitman?
What makes her more qualified than Kay Bailey Hutchison?
What makes her more qualified than Condi?
Sure she excites the conservative base, but if McCain wins the election, she is also a heartbeat away from the Presidency. She couldn't even name the VP duties when interviewed a few months ago.
Forget for the moment the argument for or against Obama's experience, just focus on Palin's experience compared to all the other outstanding Republican women. To me, she is very much a lightweight. Meg Whitman would have been a strong, outsider choice. Palin is?????
68. "All Facts" told me all I need to know when he(?) wrote "...tax the haves...." Typical egalitarian / communist approach - redistribute wealth rather than increase everyone's opportunity to become wealthy. Right in line with Obama's ultra-left policies....
"Sen Obama has captured the imagination of the American public"
Nonsense. He's captured the imagination of liberals and their group-think obedient media who hope to play the race card all the way to the White House. His biggest supporters? Indoctrinated urban college students who swoon at "hope and change" but will be so busy watching the latest "hot" video on YouTube they won't even know its election day.
We all know what is coming should McCain win. A liberal outcry the likes of which we've never seen claiming McCain's victory is proof we are a racist country.
Duffman I think you hit it on the head. More of the same versus change.
The people that control McCain are the same people that control Bush, and will try to control Obama if "we" let them.
I just think that letting corporations who are only responsible to their stock holders, and not the U.S.A. run our government and write our legislation is not the way to a brighter future for all....
Maybe the government can be used to help people (that will work hard) up, instead of just helping the top 1% compound their wealth.
71. A woman, with 5, count 'em 5 kids (one is an young adult), leaving her children to be VP? And one of them is a baby with special needs?
How's the weather in 1828? Get out much?
The demo(n) kid clearly proves the case that liberalism is a mental illness. He sounds like a level 3 sex offender who flunked continuation high school and is in perpetual rebellion against conservative parental authority figures. In any event, he must be shunned and banished, then hunted down. Society simply can't afford to tolerate such psychopathic political blog terrorists.
Sarah Palin and her beautiful family remind me of Dino and his beautiful family. I can see Dino as her VP in eight years after he has drained the puss out of the corrupt Olympia liberal boil (following Sarah's lead in Alaska).
Obama is 52 cards shy of a full deck. All he and the seditious yellow stream media can offer is the empty card package. The liberals' pathetic narcissitic personality disordered king (commissar) has no clothes, he never had any, and he will never have any. He and Christine Gargoyle are headed for the pit where they belong.
Oh for crying out loud!
Listen, "All Facts..."
Those "stock holders" have likely made it possible for you to sit in your bathrobe happily blathering away on your PC. They've made it possible to heat your house, and have a cell phone that does video. You can stroll down to your local watering hole later and watch either the Cougars or the Huskies get the crap beaten out of them on hi-def TV. Yeah, capitalism really sucks, doesn't it?
74. "Forget for the moment the argument for or against Obama's experience, just focus on Palin's experience...
" ~ tc (Obamaphile)
ahh, yes, That is exactly what the lemmings on the left would like us all to do. Pull the covers over your head and don't question Obama's experience. Why? Last time I checked Obama was on the top of the Democrat ticket with Zero executive experience comapared with Palin's selection as VP on McCain's. Palin has been both a Mayor and a Governor of a state while Obama's resume touts his signature gathering capabilities. The Dems are running scared knowing that this pick devastates their hopes to win in November and I can't blame them. Still, it doesn't excuse the hypocrisy of crying "inexperience" when their presidential hopeful is little more than an empty suit with a slick tongue.
Obama's only demonstrated leadership has been to run the family household, and given Michelle's nasty persona, he probably doesn't even do that.
How can a man run a country when he doesn't even run his own household?
75. No facts - Clearly you are a misogynist that thinks a woman's place is barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen. Or perhaps you think she can occassionally get out of the kitchen to give fellacio to Democrat presidents?
I just think that letting corporations who are only responsible to their stock holders, and not the U.S.A.
Now talk about stupid. Who do you think the stock holders are?
Americans hold more stock now that ever before.
Maybe you should go to France, they need more high school failures like you.
Or even better, go to Russia where the government controls most of the corp's and if you don't do what Putin say's he takes it away from you and he controls it.
WOW you would make Lenin proud.
reasoning (or lack thereof) in this latest move. :)
O-are you talking about the Dem party who just picked a man for the top spot who has what for a back ground?
Other thank Ayers, Resco, racist preachers and being present to vote (but not voting) while in the Senate.
Please duffie, tell us more?
Heck even the world would like to know.
Your just pissed off because your gal Billary was left in the dust by a no-name Senator. LOL
79. After reading most of the comments posted here, I'm struck by the lack of practical analysis of Gov. Palin's potential effect on Washington State politics, and specifically, Washington's economy.
I'm a Teamster and "Reagan Democrat" turned mostly libertarian voter. I'm probably too immersed in my blue collar world to understand most of the ideological poli/sci type arguments made at this site. My two cents worth is this, Puget Sound and Washington State are inextricably linked to most if not all of the things that happen in Alaska. I was at an Alaskan freight forwarder yesterday, and after speaking to a couple of fellow truckers and dockworkers, I'm convinced that Gov. Palin is a very popular choice as McCains' running mate. Most of my compatriots are much less concerned about political parties than they are about high fuel prices and economic opportunities. Both union and non-union blue collar workers alike understand and can relate to a strong no-nonsense person like Gov. Sarah Palin. She is tried by fire in speaking truth to power, and that should have ALL politicos shaking in their boots. I believe she exemplifies the best values that a great majority of people like myself live and breathe daily. Faith, family, freedom, and work, in exactly that order. Mark my words, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska is going to kick butt and take names!
80. AM/V...now be nice; with some 18-mil votes I doubt she was 'left in the dust'. In view McCain is not only a 'maverick'...he's getting 'desperate'. I think you're possibly confused and depressed because your man former Senator John Edwards got caught with his proverbial 'pants down'...ha -just teasin! :)
I am still waiting for someone to name one single thing the Bush Crime Family has done that has been good for America.....
You want to "scare" people thinking about voting for Obmaa, but completely forget the Republicons running our government today are a pitiful, dishonest, sickening disgrace.
McCain = Bush
Deal with it.
You can't name one single thing the Bush Gang has done that has been good for America, but I can type for a century, and not list all the things they have done to hurt America.
You would have to be a real retard to think McCain is gonna make America better when all evidence says the opposite.
Obama promised hope and change and then picks a "Safe" choice of Joe Biden as his training wheels who's been in the senate since 1972. How is that change? Putting someone on the ticket who's been in D.C. since Sarah Palin was 8 years old doesn't exactly reek of Hope and change to me. If Barack doesn't realize he is inexperienced why put a stale, old, DC insider like Joe Biden on the ticket? Answer: It was the safe choice and he knows Biden lends some stuffing to his own empty suit.
Meanwhile, the Maverick goes against conventional wisdom and picks a political reformer from Alaska. McCain has shown Obama what "change" looks like proving the young signature gatherer from the Chicago political machine isn't quite ready to ride the bike by himself yet.
McCain is not only a 'maverick'...he's getting 'desperate'. I think you're possibly confused and depressed because uffie.
Dude I'm laughing a bunch since yesterday,
You say McCain is "desperate" Yet who did Mr. Change pick to try and back up his lack of any back ground... Well except his good friend Mr. I hate America "Ayers" And you want to talk about desperate! LOL
By the way, have you noticed how fast Obama is running from Ayers now. So try that desperate thing on me again.
Palin vs. Biden in a debate? I'm looking forward to it! No-nonsense Palin vs. the biggest windbag in the Senate.
Palin has executive experience as a Mayor, chairwoman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, and state Governor. She is also guided by solid conservative values, which I trust over the track record of feel-good liberalism.
Well Duffie, it's been fun, but I'm going out to cut the grass before the next storm shows up.
Anyone notice that August has not been very warm this year.
So explain that warming thing to me again. I'm just not "feeling" it.
This Palin selction has me excited. It is fun to follow non-Dino Rossi politics again. The corrupt/pork barrel/statists have destroyed the GOP and its image this decade. Selecting a reformer like Palin is a great move.
The righty who is pretending to be a lefty, AFSMP, is hillarious! I just wish you would use your comedy gold on less active threads. Some righties are buying into your caricature of an ignorant, ideolist, useful idiot, young lefty douchebag.
Since you can't name one single thing the Bush Crime Family has done that has been good for America "AP" has to call me names.
Kinda makes my point doesn't it.
The GOP crimewave is almost over. You should all be celebrating.
Palin should be attending her child that needs her. Let her run for vice-crook once her needy kid grows up a little bit.
Palin. Values of a vulture.
88. I like this choice because she buttresses McCain's image as a reformer: when necessary, it is important to root out corruption within the party, which is preferable to having the other side do it for you.
So Obama's argument that his presidency is the only path to change is diminished.
Yet this will allow most Republicans to view McCain's frequent breaks with the party in a different light. Although his ideology is not completely in line with the party mainstream, he wants to establish himself as more of an independent: he may be with us 85% of the time on ideology but 70% of the time in tough votes. But this is reassuring when it comes to selecting judicial nominees, because this is where he will be with us 85% of the time. He has already indicated that his favorite Supreme Court justices are the conservatives on the Court.
Another point: at first glance, I am impressed by Sarah's husband. He is masculine--not all that common with the husband of a female politician--which means she is still feminine by comparison. I think I read somewhere that he kept going in a snowmobile race with 400 miles to go, after he had spilled and broken his arm (and came in fourth place that year). He and his partner have won the race three or four times. So her rock-solid strength and determination is matched and reinforced by his.
The fact that her son is in the military will also highlight the argument that the McCain-Palin ticket will not jump into wars willy-nilly (one of the arguments of the Left).
My enthusiasm for the presidential race has just jumped up several notches.
I'm beggining to think McCain is the cowboy in the continental suit.
This is the guy who was told to quit heading into New Hampshire. With zero cash he took the entire primary early and definatively.
Now with a single press conference he totally deflates bambi's billion dollar convention AND energizes the base AND disarms the media AND unhinges the left.
The Republican's don't even need a convention at this point. They can go to a battle ground state and have a BBQ and shake hands with constituents.
I am going to ignore you, and I hope others here do too. Better yet, I hope the SPers give you a time out. If you are really a lefty and really want a debate, then stop acting like a 13 year old. Drop the petty insults, drop the quotes from partisans, and have a discussion like an adult. If facts really supported your postitions, you would be bringing facts to the tables instead of insults.
Want a Bush accomplishment? He took out Saddam, the biggest mass murderer and war monger of the late 20th century. That's a huge, historical accomplishment. He also kept our economy in check despite inheriting a minor recession, corporate scandals, stock market bubble, and terrorist attacks before he had the chance to pass his first budget. How does unemployment, home ownership rates, poverty rates, welfrare rates, etc, from today compare with Clinton's final year? Look at the facts.
No facts spews:
"I am still waiting for someone to name one single thing the Bush Crime Family has done that has been good for America....."
He has lept America safe from terrorists. No more terrorist hijacked planes have toppled any sky scrapers since GW came into office. He create the department of Homeland Security (against the objection of Democrats) and it has done a good job keeping us safe. No attacks on American soil since 911. No US warships have been nearly sunk by terrorists, unlike under Clinton when the Cole was nearly destroyed. No US African Embassies have been blown up by Al Qaeda, unlike under Clinton when two were blown up.
Finally, it is the terorrists that are running and not the US. Democrats seek to reverse that situation back to the "good ole days" of Jimmy Carter:
No Facts - When in US history have we taxed our way to prosperity?
92. Deep in their dead, black hearts what the liberals fear the most in Sarah Palin is that she will spark a Christian spiritual revival in our nation that will destroy liberalism for good.
The announcement of Sarah Palin has sparked 7 Million $ in less than 30 hours...
I would say that she is doing her job already!
Nobody here wants to talk about how Sarah Palin doubled taxes on the Oil/Gas Industry in Alaska and handed out checks to everybody. One would think she was buying her popularity rating which was dropping in earnest at the time of the Veep announcement.
She also raised sales taxes.
Poor hapless Mr. Cynical over at HA says Rossi will be like Palin.
96. #81: George W cuts taxes and started going after terrorists, with liberals trying hard to get in his way on both counts.
Re 81... ok you've had your daily dose BDS.
Now, tell us, other than his socialist marxism, why should anyone vote FOR bHo?
Name one single thing the community organizer has done that has been good for America... Go ahead, dig deep in his mile wide inch deep resevoir of experience and make us a list.
98. Andy 89# I enjoyed your cowboy in the continental suit reference. I think only a few here will get it, and there ain't nobody at KOS that would get it.
Hey No facts -
You would have to be a real marxist retard to think Obama is gonna make America better when all evidence says the opposite.
100. JUST SAY NOBAMA !!!
Oh stop whining Democrats ... for the past year, you've been trying every trick in the book to shove an inexperienced, empty suit, Barack Hussein Obama, down the throats of Americans. Sure, maybe you sweetened the bad taste by adding pretty speeches, big swooning crowds, and fireworks ... but, you still tried to shove him down our throats, at every opportunity. Democrats, it was a lot easier to highjack the primary election than it's going to be with the general election. Looks like America is going to elect McCain/Palin for President and V.P.. And, that means: No Wright, no Farrakahn, no Ayers, no Rezko, no mean Michelle, and, NOBAMA !!!
I see you can't answer my simple question. You have to throw it back to Obama-slamming. What is the matter? It is a simple question. What makes Palin more qualified than the other outstanding Republican woman? Why did McCain say as Saddleback that he would turn to Meg Whitman, yet chose Palin?
Further, what does it say about McCain, who met Palin only once prior to last week.
What makes Palin more qualified than the other outstanding Republican woman?
Maybe you should ask McCain, I doubt Rick was part of the decision....
You might also want to view McCain's interview this morning on Fox, he tells you WHY!
103. "Rick D,
I see you can't answer my simple question.
It helps to pose it to me instead of me guessing that I was supposed to answer it.I guess I didn't feel it was worth answering because of its simple-minded approach.
"You have to throw it back to Obama-slamming. What is the matter? "
Ummm yeah, because he's at the top of the ticket and has never made an exectutive decision in his life, I and most others see that as a problem when running for the highest office in the land. We prefer qualified individuals instead. Palin HAS made executive decisons while Senator Obama's decisions are done in a "committee". See the difference?
"It is a simple question. What makes Palin more qualified than the other outstanding Republican woman?"
The reality is tc, you'd criticize whoever McCain picked as his running mate. Palin has been a Business owner, Mayor and the Governor of Alaska while the other women you mention have had senatorial experience and Meg Whitman has been a successfull entrepreneur, so Palin is a fine mixture of the two. Wouldn't you agree?
"Why did McCain say as Saddleback that he would turn to Meg Whitman, yet chose Palin?"
The question posed was who would you turn to for advice, not who would you pick as your Vice presidential nominee. Don't distort facts to fit your argument tc, it's embarrassing. The simple reality is, Ms. Whitman has no political experience and Palin does. Why is that so threatening to your side?
"Further, what does it say about McCain, who met Palin only once prior to last week."
False. He's met a few times prior to last week. Again distorting facts,tc? Even if it were true, what is your point? Do you have to be close friends to have someone on your ticket? when was that the litmus test for VP? Ms Palin was vetted by the McCain camp and her reputation of being a reformer was the perfect choice for the Maverick McCain who has been known to "buck the conventional wisdom" and do what HE wants to do.