August 20, 2008
Governor Gregoire says yesterday's result shows that negative campaigning doesn't work. (I'm pretty sure she wasn't joking.)
Posted by Jim Miller at August 20, 2008
08:07 AM | Email This
1. It appears, in this state, that campaigning on a minimal or negative record of accomplishment DOES work, however. Queen Christine is living proof.
Yah...way to spin Queen Christine!
I'll bet she's cussing out her aids while she's trying desperately to spin the primary as anything but a disaster.
Last night at 7:30 PM. I had to go by 2 drop off points to drop our ballots off. Boxes were full and people were still driving up.
There were more last minute ballots than I've seen in the past 6 years.
I don't think these have been counted.
The trend will be interesting.
4. I guess now she will need to try something else since all her negative ads have not done the job. She is now depending on the Obama Juggernaut to carry her to victory.
Whoops, Obama just slipped about ten points in the Zogby poll. Can we get the Saddleback guy to do a Rossi Gregoire debate here in Washington State? I love the " above my pay grade" questions.
After the devastating $2.9 BILLION Budget Deficit for the upcoming biennium and the $8 BILLION of increased spending by Gregoire have been completely vetted....with the likely implication of yet another Democratic Tax increase rather than spending cuts fully understood, Rossi will prevail in November.
In the next 80 days or so, there will be statewide Budget, Spending & Tax education.
Obviously the Unions Tribes & State Workers support Gregoire...cuz she delivers for them to the detriment of locally owned businesses, many of which are struggling.
Gregoire will continue to spin the cover story that it isn't a deficit (YET) and avoid any details on how she will balance THE NEXT Budget.
Will the MSM let her off the hook???
6. Negative ads are when a dem's opponent cites their record. She knows she's going to lose, so she lies about the deficit and in January, surprise! it's Gov Rossi's fault.
7. This from the same women who keeps lying to the public, with a smile no less, about our current budget situation. I remember another Governor from California that did the same thing back in 2002, he won but once the truth came out a few weeks after the election....he got recalled. Maybe Rossi should draw some comparison?
Can you provide the TVW link of the one term Governor's comments...
BENTON AND FRANKLIN CO.'s
ROSSI +65% Gregoire under 30%
We remember Areva!
9. Note that if not for King County, Rossi won last night.
10. Looks like she won the overall percentage, so something seems to work. Besides I seem to recall Dimbo Rossi making numerous negative attacks (like the BS "OMG!! Gregoire is a racist" ad. Even his positive ad's are negative.
11. Note that if not for King County, Rossi won last night.
Note that King Country is where a majority of Washington State's population lives and also provides a majority of the revenue for the state. Seems like all the counties with large population centers in them went for Gregoire...funny that.
just wait, under 50%-incumbent, primary election.
She will not win many counties in November other than King, Jefferson, Gray's Harbor (Maybe) and San Juan-and she will not win King by enough to overcome.
What exactly is it that you LIKE about this woman anyway? Unless you are SEIU or a State Employee-and you know what, I fit into one of those two categories and I can't STAND her.
13. Can anyone else taste the bile of the illegitiamte Queen's hypocritical audacity? Look at her operatives and their slam tactics against Rossi, but of course, her being her arrogant self, had no idea about it right? (Sorry gotta go-I just threw up a little)
14. Not to be negative, but whenever a politician starts talking about the budget, eyes start to roll. I weep for the future of this country when average, ordinary citizens can't be bothered to perform their civic duty. OTOH, maybe more then 50% are in favor of big government and like more spending. Of course, one day you have to pay the piper because of all the accrued debts.
Gregoire should win King comfortably enough, because enough of them have drunk the kool-aid. How else can you explain why she won in 2004? Let's face it, WA state is a lost cause... Better start looking into New Zealand?
Well, when you can't run on your record over the past 4 years due to your dismal but consistent failures, the logical fallback position is to go negative on the challenger.
It is these type of actions by the incumbent that should give pause to independent voters before they send her back to Olympia for another term.
17. Negative campaigning? Chrissy, let me introduce you to a pot and kettle.
I haven't seen a "don't know Chrissy" ad.
"Note that King Country is where a majority of Washington State's population lives"
Cato - You may want to check that. Here's a handy site for such questions.
Glenno - I'll check for video later today.
19. The definition of a fair fight for a liberal is they get a machine gun and the Republican gets a spitwad. Anytime the scenario changes, they scream (in this case) negative campaigning.
20. What exactly is it that you LIKE about this woman anyway?
I don't like her, but I especially don't like the other guy. I'd rather have the liar I know than the liar I don't trust.
21. And where EXACTLY has Dino lied?
22. She should know. Only cheating works.
23. I don't think we'll know for a couple of days at least since there are still so many mail-in ballots being counted, but if it's already this close, I think Queen Christine has a slight problem.
Those who really want to see the video can -- probably -- find it here
. But since there are three segments, each a half hour long, I am not going to search through them for Gregoire's statement. But if you are willing to do so, and find something interesting, please let me know.
25. And where EXACTLY has Dino lied?
Have you looked at the numbers in Rossi's unfunded roads plan, that's fuzzy math if I ever saw any. Fuzzy math is usually done to disguise the lie of how much it will REALLY cost. Rossi also claims it's paid for, HUGE LIE.
Rossi also continues to lie about Gregoire wanting to proposing a state income tax. I looked up his reference, she did no such thing.
I don't trust the guy, the groups he identifies as friends of his are not the groups I would want influencing the Governorship of this state.
Again, the lair I know, of the liar I don't trust. I'll stick with the liar I know.
26. Cato - Speaking of numbers, may I suggest that you take a look at comment 18?
Your Slavery Party roots are showing...
Gregoire is DEFINITELY on the public record as supporting a state income tax. She just says that now is not the time for it.
Of course, in 2004 she also said it wasn't the time for a higher gas tax, and we all know what happened there!
Sorry but those are the facts - Gregoire said in 2004 that it was not time for a gas tax, and in the very first session of her term she rammed through the gas tax.
Now she says it's not time for an income tax. Guess what's coming down the pike by the end of the next session, if she's still occupying the Governor's mansion?
Admit it - you Slavery Party mouthpieces just can't say anything positive about your own candidate, so it's nothing but lies and slander against Dino Rossi (you know, the guy who passed the last balanced budget in this state that did not eviscerate the rainy day fund OR the retirement fund for state workers).
28. I think what works for Gregoire are kickbacks from the Indian Tribes and dirty deals behind the voters' backs. From what I can tell she'll be moving out of the governers mansion soon enough.
Oh Yeh a 6% income tax, plus throwing the 2/3 taxing limititation out the door, Gregoire's dream spending ticket.
It won't pay down a 3 billion dollar defecit, or a 5 billion dollar pension defecit, it'll be the ticket for another 8 billion dollar second term spending spree on social spending.
PacLady on steroids. Another 4 years of spending spree gone wild.
30. how are we going to educate them to the regressive tax system that we have in this state and how we need to have some sort of conversion over to a partial income tax
"But it's not as if it's not a good idea. It's not as if it's not one that we shouldn't pursue. It's one that we just have to keep holding hearings and let time pass and eventually I assume we're going to get there."
-Queen Chrissy, on the state income tax
THAT is support for an income tax, plain and simple. Dino's not lying, Cato is.
As for his transportation plan, he has proposed some funding sources for it. That is not the same thing as saying "it's paid for". So again, it's Cato that is lying.
31. and we all know what happened there
Yeah, we got it and a large majority of the people voted to keep it...despite little Timmy Eymans failed attempt to repeal it.
In 2004 I don't think any of us were expecting Bush's little war to avenge his Daddy's mistake would cause oil prices to rise above $140/barrel. Of course the whole Bush family is invested in oil, so they're likely making out like bandits.
Anyway, you should get your facts straight rather than relying on talking points that list half-truths. You had a chance to repeal it, it failed. Sometimes you have to change your current lifestyle to adapt to the changing world (just like every generation before us has).
The last time Income Tax was proposed (the last legislature) it was quickly removed and never even made even made it to consideration. It's not going to happen, and if Rossi keeps up with his fuzzy road numbers he's going to need it to shore up the huge deficit he's going to have from cost overruns.
Guess what's coming down the pike by the end of the next session, if she's still occupying the Governor's mansion?
I'm guessing a balanced budget, of course the GOP style is to spread fear rather than focus on reality. I'd expect nothing less from the party that brought us the biggest national deficit in history and pretty much destroyed the burgeoning US economy.
Slavery Party, that's cute coming from a member of the "Do as we say but not as we do" Party.
Dino's not lying, Cato is.
I've stated fact, Dino just lies through his teeth and plays the racist card because he doesn't have any real solutions.
32. I've stated fact, Dino just lies through his teeth
No, in fact, you haven't. You misrepresented Dino's statements about her SUPPORT for an income tax and his transportation plan, and then called it a lie. I know straw men are your specialty, and you can't get away with it here. You have not stated one instance of Dino lying.
He did lie...quite frequently in fact. His transportation plan is completely misleading, underfunded, and will lead to massive spending increases to cover the shortfalls between his numbers and reality. If Rossi somehow becomes Governor he should personally pay for all cost overruns based on his original numbers rather than holding the taxpayers hostage for his gross misrepresentation of reality.
If you look at the article Dan linked to, it clearly states Gregoire says she is opposed to an income tax. Rossi is lying.
Now do I want a strong Governor with four years experience and has strong connections with state agencies to get things done, or do I want some mutli-millionaire elitist Repubublican who repeatedly lies and doesn't wear a flag pin...even when visiting the troops.
34. He did lie...quite frequently in fact.
His transportation plan is completely misleading, underfunded, and will lead to massive spending increases to cover the shortfalls between his numbers and reality
Your proof of this is what? Regardless, this is still not evidence of a lie.
Rossi is lying.
False. See DIRECT Gregoire quotes above. They clearly show she supports an income tax.
Still, nothing you've stated has proven that Rossi lied, about anything.
35. Your proof of this is what?
The proof is in the fact his numbers are unrealistic and come in at least 15% lower than any other estimate I've ever seen (see my suggestion about holding Dino personally responsible for covering all cost overruns). Go look it up, stop relying on others to do your homework. If you want to keep ignoring the actual facts be my guest.
They clearly show she supports an income tax.
Whoop de do, I support a local sports team, doesn't mean I'm going to run out and get tickets to all their home games. There's a difference between supporting something and actually doing it.
The reality is that the Income Tax will not be implemented, everyone who's ever tried has got shut down. Gregoire is running a lousy campaign if you ask me, but it's still not enough to make me vote for a liar like Rossi.
36. The proof is in the fact his numbers are unrealistic and come in at least 15% lower than any other estimate I've ever seen
False. He took the estimates from the most recent cost projections at the time the plan was made. You can look at the plan to find that out. I will not do your homework for you.
And this is still not evidence of a lie.
There's a difference between supporting something and actually doing it.
I agree with that. And Dino has said she supports it. This is NOT a lie. Just because she doesn't have enough support from legislators and the public on it to get it passed does NOT make it a lie that she supports it.
it's still not enough to make me vote for a liar like Rossi.
Shrug. You have not proven he's a liar, but you have proven yourself to be one.
37. He took the estimates from the most recent cost projections at the time the plan was made
ROFL, those numbers sure don't look like anything I've seen. Look more like flashback numbers to 2004. Adjusted for reality those numbers are ridiculous and underfunded by at least 15%. If he somehow he does manage to get elected I say we hold Rossi to those numbers and make him pay for any cost overruns out of his own wallet. He should not be able to lie about that and then hold the taxpayers hostage for his gross misrepresentations of the facts (aka lies).
This is NOT a lie
Get a clue, Rossi has said repeatedly that Gregoire wants impose an income tax, which of course is a big fat lie. I expect nothing less from him.
You have not proven he's a liar
I have, you just choose to live in Rossi fantasy land where he's believed to be the second coming of Reagan. Time to come back to reality and realize that Dino Rossi is an elitist mutli-millionaire Republican snob who repeatedly lies to the public and doesn't wear a flag pin...even when visiting the troops.
38. those numbers sure don't look like anything I've seen.
He took the estimates directly from the WSDOT and Sound Transit! Try taking a look there.
Look more like flashback numbers to 2004.
Nope. It's all in 2007 dollars.
Adjusted for reality those numbers are ridiculous and underfunded by at least 15%
False. Your opinion, nothing more.
He should not be able to lie about that and then hold the taxpayers hostage for his gross misrepresentations of the facts (aka lies).
What lie? You still haven't proven one. Not one.
Rossi has said repeatedly that Gregoire wants impose an income tax
You're lying again. He's said she supports an income tax, which is 100% true.
who repeatedly lies to the public
39. Well, at least Rossi actually VISITS the troops, rather than choosing to work out in a smarmy gym instead.
And Gregoire is "NOT A LIAR" Her 2004 campaign site lambasted Rossi for supporting a 5 cent gas tax hike, and she touted that she had never raised taxes on the people of this state.
She get's in 9.5 cent a gallon gas tax that has produced nothing it was going to fix
Never raised taxes on the people of this state.
Now who is a Liar.....
I'm votin Rossi