August 15, 2008
Olympics Over For Me
I have to stop watching the Olympics now. I just heard this on the TV: "The games of the twenty-ninth Olympiad on the networks of NBC are brought to you ... by Walt Disney Pictures' new comedy 'Beverly Hills Chihuahua,' in theaters October third."
Having the Olympics under an evil regime like China is one thing, but advertising for the most insidiously evil movie of all-time is going too far.
Cross-posted on <pudge/*>.
Posted by pudge at August 15, 2008
09:41 AM | Email This
1. Actually I prefer it to it's 'carrier'...Paris Hilton. :)
2. The Costas banalities were enogh to drive me away...so I'm glad I missed NBC's plug.
Pudge, I frown in your general direction for putting the movie's link into your post.
I must skip work now to go home and resume watching the very good CBC coverge.
Diogenes: evil must be brought into the light.
Also, the Costas interview with Bush was quite excellent.
Hm, I didn't mean to imply anything with that juxtaposition.
4. I've watched very little of NBC's coverage. Mostly because I'd rather watch it live on CBC (I only wish it was in HD, but that's a minor gripe). They've got the requisite Canadian homerism, but that's okay, they still cover the USA athletes pretty well. And some of the Canadian commercials are kinda funny too.
I'm just waiting for the track and field to start...endless shots of half naked dudes in speedo's just doesn't do it for me...
6. ...aaaah, but then there's 'misty-may', et al
Ha! I have some Dem friends who would appreciate the implication, whether intended or not. And truth be told, I had heard the Bush interview was good and I'm sorry I missed it.
Palouse, NBC has done a decent job. And "no HD" is not at all minor to me. Plus, I don't get CBC, and even if I did, they would not show too many U.S. events (except where the U.S. beat women up on the Canadian soccer and softball teams!).
And yes, Diogenes, Bush was great with Costas.
CBC has shown all of the major USA athletes, including volleyball, all the swimming events including heats, and the gymnastics. That's all I've cared about so far. I watched the women's all around last night on CBC, and the coverage was very good, and it was over by 10 pm. That's another major reason for watching it there.
I did catch the Bush interview and agree it was good. Costas is a pro.
CBC just can't match the breadth of coverage of NBC. I am simultaneously recording two channels in HD, and one in SD, across five networks (NBC HD, Universal HD, USA HD, MSNBC, and Oxygen [for equestrian mostly]).
And much of it is U.S. athletes, such as the women's sabre and other things you just won't get much of on CBC.
Although ending by 10 p.m. is nice ... NBC is stupid. Start at 8 and end after midnight?!
11. I stopped watching the Olympics years ago when ABC had them -- they started showing fluff pieces rather than the sports, and would only show Americans and other famous atheletes. From what little I've caught this year, NBC is no better.
They have ALWAYS shown "fluff pieces." Welcome to television.
As to only showing Americans and famous athletes, not true. NBC broadcasts dozens of hours of Olympics every day. In Prime Time, coverage, yes, it is as you say. But that always going to be true.
Today I watched a Korean and Russian face off for the gold medal in archery. Was on for about an hour, I think. Not famous, not Americans. This sort of thing is on a lot, every day.
Too bad #12, here's just a little of what your missing
14. ooops, obviously meant #11....ha
I hate NBC. Period. They think people are stupid, and they carry all these events with "LIVE" at top right corner of the screen even when it is tape delayed. All of Pheph's gold metals I watched on NBC, I already knew the results before the broadcast.
I literally stayed up all night on 8/7 to watch the opening ceremoy live, only to discover that NBC wasn't carrying it live. Later, I found out that CBC (Canadian on 99) had it live. Maybe, I am as stupid as NBC thinks I am...
16. I am done with NBC. Tape delay sucks. Watch the superior live coverage over at CBC, available on most local basic cable packages.
CBC understands it has a US audience too and shows more U.S. coverage than you would expect. Plus the Canadian team is weak this year, so more focus on the Americans.
18. You would give up womens beach volleyball?
19. I dislike NBC coverage because of the 3-1 fluff piece ratio to watching an actual event. I am lucky to have both CBC and CBUT, they actually show quality all-around coverage vs. NBC's snippet selections of the events where the US athletes are favored to win.
I wish Disney would redo "The Path to 9-11" and put the part in it where Bush ignored over 100 direct warnings. How about the PDB "Bin Laden Determined...." You know. After being told by the Clinton administration protecting us from Al Queda should be their #1 priority, and of course, ignoring that too.
At lease Disney isn't as bad as The Faux Full Time Propaganda Network!
21. Can Chihuahuas be added to the Axis of Evil now? Before it is too late.
22. Because it would be worth paying money to watch the press conference with President Bush declaring that military operations are proceeding against Chihuahuas and all handbag dogs who are in support of state-sponsored terrorism.
Look, I am not bagging on CBC. But it is only one channel as opposed to five, so it covers FAR less, and it is not in HD. As for "sitting through" things, I DVR everything anyway: that's what the FF button is for.
"Facts": your lies are off-topic. In fact, nothing was ignored; we here actually know the real facts -- that the PBD was going over information that was already known AND being acted upon, and that Clinton actually refused to retaliate against Bin Laden after the Cole attack -- so you're wasting your time.
But do not respond here, because I will remove your response unless it is on topic.
And Don, agreed with you on everything you said about Chihuahuas. Can we also declare "All Facts" up there to be a Chihuahua? And maybe Richard Pope, too? :-)
24. Don, how the heck do you find your column at SW? I just went over there looking to see if you've got anything new, and couldn't find it.
I'm contributing to the Daily Weekly and also Buzzer Beater for sports. Just click on the left hand links and scroll down.
Have done about ten posts so far...
*Shameless self-promotion ends - back to punt-kicking Mexican Hairless*
26. But it is only one channel as opposed to five, so it covers FAR less
Sounds like a problem with your cable company rather than the CBC.
Both CBC and CBUT broadcast in Hi-Def. It will likely improve for the Vancouver games in 2010, one hopes by then that our local cable companies will be broadcasting all hi-def channels all the time.
I just turned to CBUT for some Olympic action and what do I get?
freakin' Speed walking.....are you kidding me? that is an Olympic sport?
I can only watch and hope that Mr.T makes an impromptu appearance in Beijing, if only to witness the ensuing carnage left in his wake.
28. A co-worker suggested a better title for the flick: "I, Chihuahua."
29. A co-worker suggested a better title for the flick: "I, Chihuahua."
30. Cato: I was responding to someone else who said it wasn't in HD, but as for me, I don't get cable anyway. DirecTV. Anyway, glad they give you two channels. But still, it can't compete with NBC's coverage.
Without my TiVo it would be unbearable.
Anyone catch when they cut to Costas last night? Over his right shoulder in the background was the large picture of Comrade Chairman Mao in Tiannamen square. Nice touch. These puke MSM broadcasters never met a Marxist they didn't admire!
32. They just did it again. UnAmerican Bob with Uncle Mao on his right shoulder. Disgusting.
Rick @ 27: If you had stayed tuned into CBC last night you would have seen Phelps win his 7th race LIVE! NBC has nothing but delayed and edited footage.
As for speedwalking, it is probably one of the hardest endurance sports that exists. And, it was good enough for Bill Nye....
I couldn't care less if the Olympics are tape delayed.
I do think NBC starts and ends their evening broadcasts way too late though.
35. Yeah, that dog looks evil.