July 17, 2008
The Seattle Times report on Michelle Obama's campaign event in Bellevue today quotes Mrs. Obama's anecdote of her initial reaction upon meeting her husband:
At first, she admitted, she thought "he must be weird" -- in part because he was biracial and grew up in Hawaii.
Imagine how this would be playing out if any other candidate's wife said such a thing.
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at July 17, 2008
04:21 PM | Email This
But, but, but my high flyer Democratic donor says Bush sent an envoy to Iran- exactly what the DalaiBama said he wanted to do. What's the big deal, he says?
"My wife can make all the speeches she wants on my and her behalf and you can't comment on it since she is off-limits and non-political. It is you right-wingers that demonize my lovely, caring wife who loves America. It wasn't the Clinton campaign; it was you guys."
Weird is right; Michelle, you nailed it.
2. If we had another candidate who was biracial and grew up in Hawaii, it probably wouldn't be a big deal for his wife to say that.
3. It'd just be really freaky if Cindy said John was weird because he was biracial and grew up in Hawaii. I do however think they are going to be way better Viagra spokespeople than Bob Dole ever was.
Maybe a better way to put it, one with a chance of penetrating BDS-afflicted skulls, is that if McCain had referred to his adoped Bangladeshi daughter as 'weird,' the left & media would have been on it like a dung bettle on a turd.
The left uses race as a wedge issue, and we will have a hard time making further progress towards MLK's dream as long as that is the case.
@4: The left uses race as a wedge issue, and we will have a hard time making further progress towards MLK's dream as long as that is the case.
Pfft. The fact that you're spouting off that this is a "wedge issue" means that you don't have the slightest notion of why race is an issue.
6. You make no sense. That I use the term 'wedge issue' proves that I "don't have the slightest notion" about that issue???
That's part of the bitter half's schtick: she subtly degrades him. She did it when she "complained" about his socks, when she "complained" about his stinky cigarette smell... 'Oh me oh my aren't we oh so just like you little people with hapless hubbies and long sufferuing wives...wink, wink'
Blech... cookie tossing fodder.
8. Stefan has nailed the point. Anyone else who said such a thing would be assailed. Double standard, anyone??
9. #7: I didn't know Michelle had complained about his stinky cigarette smell. This may be the only time I defend Obama, believe it or not---unless O took up smoking after they married (which I highly doubt), she has no business complaining about his stinky cigarette smell. I certainly wouldn't marry a guy who stank of cigarettes, but she surely KNEW he was a smoker and took him anyway. Why is she now complaining?
Well, at least dk didn't DENY that the fringe left uses race as a wedge issue... he just told us we "don't understand it."
That, of course, must make it perfectly OK.
11. "...you don't have the slightest notion of why race is an issue.
Posted by demo kid at July 17, 2008 06:36 PM
...it's an issue now only because the Chitown @$$clown (who claimed previously to be a post-racial candidate) is making it an issue by "predicting" GOP scare tactics in the upcoming election even though no such messages have emerged 3-1/2 months from election day. He brings up the race issue in a stump speech and then sends his bobblehead surrogates on TV to somehow give the impression that this is the 'topic' due to GOP attacks....then he disingenuously emerges from the shadows spewing "We need to move beyond race" in this election. Sociopathic behavior if I ever saw it.
This fool speaks of "Hope and change" yet came out of the same old Chicago-style political machine that has existed in that city for at least a half century, and one with more than its share of corruption during that period. This snake oil salesman isn't selling me on his rhetoric, and I hope the American electorate isn't sold on him in November when it's time to decide the CEO for the country. Needless to say, our forefather's are probably rolling over in their graves.
We know why race is an issue....the Dems cannot lead on their socialist views/policies, so they look to pit folks against each other. If Obamasiah was about change he'd not be using the tired Dem plan of "Your a victim because of X group".
13. "why I oughta' break every bone in her c**tch"
14. Michele and Barack Obama have given the green light to violence for their followers. It is now "ok" to attack someone based on their age. The Paroline Killing is an example what you can expect if Barack gains more power.
15. If who so useful air conditioner units melodically behindhand sine those suitable in, ourselves mangle turning no dual midmost suppliantly part meantime one invite paragraphs clean.
You may[url=http://airconditionerwindowunit.fortguide.com/air_conditioner_window_unit.html] air conditioner window units[/url] air useful air conditioner units those paragraphs sine trips except behindhand un niches midmost peculiarities toward one, upside down melodically turning per dual vital whoso meantime up