December 16, 2007
A Note on Rossi's Fundraising
David Postman has covered the macro numbers already, but there's something else worth mentioning with this story. First, a summary of the numbers:
Through the end of November Gregoire had raised $4.16 million and spent $1.37 million. Rossi had raised $1.44 million and spent $0.53 million. Gregoire leads in cash-on-hand by a roughly 3-1 margin.
More importantly, Dino Rossi has collected in a matter of weeks what took months to raise in his 2004 campaign. Moreover, the fact he has so quickly narrowed Gregoire's daunting cash-on-hand position speaks to the enthusiasm into which his campaign is tapping.
Specifically, I'm not just talking about the smaller, direct mail donations where grassroots enthusiasm for Rossi is well-known. I'm talking about compelling evidence that has been shared with me unlike anything I've ever heard of in this state. Not enthusiasm from uber-donors like John Stanton. Not enthusiasm from lobbyists and their clients. It's enthusiasm from mid-to-high level donors who are coming out of the woodwork to support the campaign.
It all speaks to the general feeling among the populace that things aren't going quite right in Olympia.
At this point, given the legislative session fundraising freeze affecting Gregoire, I wouldn't be surprised if Rossi's campaign is able to close much of the cash-on-hand gap by the time the Legislature adjourns. I didn't think that was possible prior to Rossi's announcement given Gregoire's prodigious fundraising prior to that point.
Posted by Eric Earling at December 16, 2007
06:08 PM | Email This
1. Re-elect Governor Rossi!
2. Personally, I doubled my initial donation to Dino from my 2004 initial one right off the bat. I'm sure others did what I did or similar.
But does he have party goons to "count" the votes?
I still remember the TVW program with the top D's in front of a Joseph Stalin poster.
4. Just made my on-line contribution!!!!!!!!!!!
Good News. But my first telephonic introduction to campaign, if "official," was a bit disappointing. Two weeks ago a fellow with a Hoboken, NJ accent called--and he wouldn't take "No" for an answer. "Can Dino count on you for $75..." Then he said this: "We need new leadership in Omaha." (I pictured him in full swivel mode from his monitor and script, going for some of those phonebank pretzels.)
I'm on board for Dino Rossi in 2008, but I will not be moving my family to Nebraska!
This is great; love to see the middle/big donors getting aboard with the grassroots...where are they when R's need numbers in the legislature?
Why are we near a "Supermajority" for D's in Olympia?
I'm not really sure this race is going to be so much about money as strategy. Money is important but not as much as in 04.
At that point both candidates were relative unknowns, sure Gregoire was AG, and Rossi in the leg, but few really knew that, nor cared. Money helped them change that by getting their name and ideas in front of voters.
This cycle that is not as important. Instead it will come down to the better campaign.
Washington is a default moderate Dem state. Our politics tend democratic, but we don't tend to go for extremes on the D side and we will go for moderates of all stripes quite happily.
Rossi is going to try and paint Gregoire as an extremist democratic in the mold of McDermott, whereas he is a moderate republican and one of those crazy jesus bigots.
Gregoire on the other hand will try to paint him as just that, while campaigning as a moderate. (I supported reinstating 747...)
In this race branding trumps money. (money of course, though, being a necessary but not sufficient condition to do that.
8. Did you all see Gregoire's performance at her first press conference after the storm? She was terrified, timidly saying she wouldn't tour and assess the disaster sites! Her staff was unprepared, but her State Patrol chief did tell us to be careful! Her website had crashed, with no backup given! She was paralyzed with indecision, but she did give us weather reports and said we could get sandbags at Camp Murray! She took no initiative calling up the Guard to handle state business, saying she had to wait until requested by the counties! A simply pathetic and disgusting performance by an alleged state leader. Money and politics aside, she's in over her head and is dangerous to public health and safety. Gregoire is most certainly the governess manque, but she sure can yap for federal money after the fact! Her lack of leadership preparing for disaster, and responding to it, are grounds alone for her removal from office. Unfortunately, because the D's are protecting her, we're on our own until Dino takes over.
9. Giffy, "crazy jesus bigots"? What is that?
"Crazy jesus bigots"? How offensive. How, indeed, bigoted.
I suggest this Giffy individual be barred from posting on this web site.
11. Giving online....so easy, & so exciting just to go to Dino's website. & his Christmas postcard...a picture of a classy family with a classy message!
12. A futile effort indeed. It matters not how much $money is raised; it will never be enough for Rossi to defeat our Honorable Governor. She has recently shown that 'she takes charge' in tough times and her telegenic appeal magnified many times over while reviewing from a helicopter, being on-scene and talking with flood victims, etc. This State (as a whole) is happy with her leadership and I believe that will be emphatically demonstrated next time around. Mr Rossi, Sir - you're 'pissin in the wind'; your 15-minutes of fame have come and gone. You'll be fine - get over it. :)
"crazy Jesus bigots"???
That must mean that he's against the perversion of homosexuality.
One more reason to vote for him and against the Homocrats.
Morning Duffie. I see the Coast Guard is giving our Ferries another look. If this turns out bad the Dems & Gov have a real problem!
Like it or not, they can't blame the taxpayers on this mess!
Duffman-Hypocrite just for the record.
The headlines in todays TIMES says that not only do we have to replace the ferries, we sold the depreciation rights to a company back east and we still owe them about 2.7 Million for a couple piles of scrap metal. Another brick in the wall
16. After losing 15 million of our hard earned tax dollars as AG, it turns out The Queen was just getting warmed up.
17. To Giffy's defense: I think, first of all he meant to say "and not one of those crazy jesus bigots". Furthermore I think he was paraphrasing what the left might think of Rossi, not what he, personally thinks of him. Reading his post it seems he's all for Rossi so let's be careful how we respond, please. There are obviously enough nutroots that post on SP that we can give those amongst us the benefit of the doubt.
18. I'm still waiting for Giffy's explanation--is he implying that if one counts Jesus as a friend, then that person is automatically some kind of bigot who is therefore automatically disqualified from public service? If that is the case, then Giffy is displaying what looks like ignorance to a lot of people. Even Gregoire claims to be catholic.
Sadly, realistically, the only way the ferry system as well as WSDOT will ever be reformed is after a horrific disaster, or maybe two:
-a ferry breakdown that endangers or worse yet loses lives during a commuter run and a storm
-the viaduct collapse during "the big one" earthquake.
Washington State's version(s) of Katrina.
Let up hope and pray a majority of the electorate sobers up before anything serious happens...
@17, I did mean to have a "not" in there. I apologize if my hyperbole and poor phraseology offended, that was not my point.
What I did mean was that much of this race is going to come down to whether voters see Rossi as a moderate republican or an extremist one. In that regard much of the focus will be on things like gay rights, abortion, prayer in schools, etc.
Essentially just as Rossi will try and paint Gregoire as a socialist on a spending spree, Gregoire will paint Rossi as a member of the Christian right and an enemy of the poor.
Of course I do not think all Christians are bigots, hell Gregoire is one and I love her. While I myself am not, I have respect for many of the Christian religion.
However there are a vocal and powerful contingent who believe their religion compels them to policy position I find bigoted and wrong. When it comes right down to it religion is a choice and to the extent that it informs policy is no more immune from criticism then say Marxism.
People want rationality and fairness.
If they pay $300,000 for a home, they want to get $300,000+ back when they sell it.
If they do the job, and pay the bills, then they expect a reward.
That's what it's all about.
When those implicit contracts are ignored, all hell breaks loose.
23. Giffy, I completely agree with you. Even though many people would probably and rightly call me a "right-wing Christian fundamentalist" there is a contingent in America that makes us Christians look pretty bad, Pastor Fred Phelps immediately comes to mind (a Democrat and big supporter of Al Gore, by the way). And regardless of that, even though Dino has never made social issues a big issue in his campaigns the left, especially the "loony left" will try to paint him as a "Christian nut"
24. #21 The "vocal and powerful contingent" are the majority of Americans, who are Christian. Their "policy positions" are soundly based on millenia of success and reasoned morality, e.g., read Catholic catechism. Marxism is inherently evil because it is anti-life; it promotes atheism because it is an opiate of the corrupt and fallen who cannot endure to submit to an examination of their sorry lives. It is far better to be bigoted, i.e., falling short, than to be atheistic and damned. Ipso facto, no Marxist policy should ever see the light of day. The dead Soviet Union had a constitution similar to the USA's, but it didn't work because their people weren't internally regulated by Divine Law, so they had to be externally regulated by pyschopathic dictators who just loved committing crimes against humanity and civilization. Our Constitutional government can only succeed if the leaders and constituents are of the Christian "right." That's why our enemies try to separate church from state. That's why the giffys of the world fail. Yes, Christianity is indeed a choice, of good over evil. Read Romans 13.
Rossi (GOP) + Super Majority (Dem) in the Legislature...Could you have a worse combo? Given the extreme partisan nature of politics today I'd guess that Rossi would be an extremely ineffective Governor.
Governor Dino "do nothing" Rossi.
"if one counts Jesus as a friend"
Michelle, would that be one of your imaginary friends?
There are a lot of ways to interpret the bible and it's teachings. The Catholic Church has one way, Fred Phelps has another, Mike Huckabee has a different version than both previously mentioned interpretations. I mean your talking about a 2000 year old book written by Jesus' followers some 20 to 30 years after it actually happened. Even the apostles can't get their stories straight.
I'm all for you having and expressing religious beliefs, I draw the line at having them legislated into society via the Government.
27. Isn't that the 'dream' scenario?
With all due respect, the less that a Democrap supermajority is able to "get done" (as you term it), the better off Washington taxpayers and citizens will be.
What a dream it would be to have tie those idiots up permanently so they can do no more harm.
REELECT DINO ROSSI!!!!!!!!!!
29. What a dream it would be to have tie those idiots up permanently so they can do no more harm.
You sure? Seems like they could pass anything they wanted. Rossi would be nothing more than a figurehead.
What harm have they done to you personally (besides raising your taxes)?
Mrs. Gregoire now has a track record she must defend.....and it ain't very good.
The transportation debacles will be front & center...from ferry's to failure to deliver promises made re: 9-1/2 cent Gas Tax Increase.
How about the Hood Canal Bridge debacle??
Gregoire's motis operendi in the past has been to blame others. That may work for a few things like her $15 million error as AG.
However, it won't work as Governor.
The vast majority of citizens want a Governor who stands up and says the buck stops here.
Gregoire doesn't have that in her character.
She is surrounded by weaselly advisers always looking for a scapegoat.
It won't work this time...especially with a Democrat Majority in the House & Senate.
What ever happened to those 1000 middle management people who were going to be eliminated??
Any Olympia insider will tell you all she did was count retirees and reclassify people.
No real cuts in overhead spending.
Rossi has a list so long of Gregoire failures, he has to be very careful in how he presents these or folks eyes will glaze over. It almost sounds not believable....even though it is true.
Rossi must get all the Gregoire failures out to the public in plenty of time as individual voters have different hot buttons.
Perhaps Rossi ought to start a
Faux Pas of the Week message to voters.
And in the end....2 weeks before ballots go out, launch a comprehensive summary of
What Gregoire has cost Washington State!
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't last time Rossi started out as an unknown, with not necessarily odds-on-favorite status. This would explain a slow start last time. Whereas, now, he starts out as the defacto favorite. Has anyone else announced on the Republican side?
My question would be what is his donor base and makeup. Are the Realtors and Building Commission still his major contributors or is his support broadened out? What is CG's base (unions, etc.)?
For Rossi to win, other than controlling KC elections counting process, he will need to broaden his base of support. While many may not like CG, she is now running as an incumbent, which will have broadened her base. She won't have a primary battle with Sims to go through. Her problem will be Eastern Washington (most likely).
Look, I like Dino and all and plan to vote for him...but let's be realistic.
The only county that really counts in this state is King. Gregoire can lose just about every other one and still be the gov if she wins big enough here. Ron "I'm as accurate as a bank" Sims will make sure the votes are there.
Therefore, it would behoove Dino to spend some time getting visibility in KC, which it doesn't seem like he's doing. Am I missing something here?
33. "Jesus bigots" eh blob? Well for the record it was the secularist governments that enslaved people based on race.
And to you paranoids about religion being "legislated", I challenge you to find a senate bill or house bill that would have forced you to kneel at the altar.
It's getting to the point where some christians are afraid to wear a cross if they have a government job because the ACLU and the Michael Newdow's of the world want no symbols of any type on "government" property. Never mind the government property is greatly owned by Christians.
34. One thing you're missing Steve, is that there is no love lost between Sims and Gregoire. They are savvy enough to realize they need each other in order to remain in power, but from the sorority thing to Prop 1, they are arch enemies behind the smiles.
35. Blob, if that's how you wish to characterize christians, then you'll also have to remember that that includes Christine Gregoire, Barack Obama, John Edwards, yes even Bill and Hillary Clinton, several democrats in the WA legislature, Howard Dean (do I really need to go on...), John Kerry (he claims to be catholic as well) etc. I guess what that means for you is that you have no one to vote for come November because you seem to think that all of those people are out of their minds.
Every day I hear of her new 7 to 100 million dollar plan to fix something, and they all end up being complete boondoggle failures.
The Last 5 Cent gas tax hike, was suppose to fund almost 300 million in new ferrys, to be delivered in 2008 to replace alot of the ferrys that we are hearing about today. So what have all these new taxes done thus far on the current Ferry scenerio. The new ferrys have not even been designed yet, let alone any construction begun, even though they were part of the 5 cent a gallon tax package and to be delivered in 2008.
So hang on to your pockets because Gregoire and her gang of thieves are looking at your pocketbooks yet once again for an emergency rip-off.
I'll donate and Vote for Rossi. I am sick and tired of the BS and rip off!
Rossi at this point has no chance. He is campaigning on the same status quo platform in terms of government size. Gregoire as much as I do not like her has not done a ton to piss off the people.
Alot of moderate republicans I have heard personally saying they like her. it was razor thin before but now he is up against an incumbent who has gained support since the last election.
If he wants a prayers chance he needs to start campaigning on a platform of elliminating government departments and pprograms. for example the response to gregoires ferry proposal he should be asking why the state is running a ferry monopoly.
By their fruits you shall know them.
It will be interesting to watch Chrissy claim to be a Christian while bashing Rossi for his Christian views, and having given homosexuals her full support.
The voters in Washington have proven to be just that gullible.
Travis, take it easy. We are a year away and we have a State legislative session to go through.
Things change if you think Rossi has peaked as is now toast. Other than you and me and a few others, no one knows what or what not Gregoire and Rossi are politicking on.
Gregoire, as the incumbent, has a ton of advantage. She lost the eastside and Snohomish County. She is shoring up those votes by offering all sorts of pork. In Seattle, she is offering to remove the viaduct, which should please many anarchists.
40. having given homosexuals her full support.
Why is that a problem? You saying that homosexuals should not have the same rights as you?
Why is that a problem? You saying that homosexuals should not have the same rights as you?
For special RIGHTS! (-:
What special rights?
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal"
- Declaration of Independence
43. Any time any group is listed in a law it is special rights, or special protection.
44. Any time any group is listed in a law it is special rights, or special protection.
So by your logic, creating a law that defines a marriage between a man and a woman is giving special protection to heterosexuals.
Let's legalize Gay Marriage then and stop giving special rights to Heterosexuals. =)