August 15, 2007
Why, Yes, I Do Have Issues
Dan Savage has declared me a "Sicko" over at the Slog, based on the whimsical conjecture about the Stranger's newsroom I proffered at this post.
First, Dan should know my wife, many of my friends (especially from college), and some selected former colleagues in the Gorton mafia do indeed know about the warped and twisted thoughts floating through my brain. It's a side of this author not often seen at Sound Politics, but it's there. Oh, is it there.
Second, there is something fascinating about being described as a "sicko" by the author of the infamous Savage Love column. It's almost high comedy. Yet I'll embrace it nonetheless.
Lastly, to be fair to Dan and as I noted in the comments in response to him at my original post, I don't know what his staff looks like so am thus lacking in the visual of the act I alluded to. Dan, however, knows full well what they look like. This may be contributing to his dismay.
Posted by Eric Earling at August 15, 2007
09:18 PM | Email This
1. Talk about calling the kettle black...
2. Don't feel bad about a guy who writes the "Savage Love" column calling you sicko. It's far more of a reflection on him, believe me. It just means Savage has managed to be so far into sicko (Oh Please---read that column of his!) that he's forgotten how "alternative" his column really is. Mike H is totally right....this is the perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.
3. ..couldn't resist---anyone who listens to "Mitch in the Morning" HAS to be a little bit sick....(but not as sicko as Savage's column)
4. Oh, I don't feel bad at all. I wasn't kidding about embracing the title. It fits more than some might realize, though not quite for the reason Savage bequeathed it. My favorite TV show is "Rescue Me" if that's any indicator too.
5. Now I am torqued, Eric. First a response by the best reporter ever bred. The a whole Slog entry based on the term I coined earlier about the Rove topic.
I know jealousy and envy are not becoming but I'm certainly not going to let that get in the way of a good pout.
Is this the same Dan Savage who was photographed dancing with Mike Lowrey at Gary Locke's first Inauguration Ball while wearing a white wedding dress?
If so, he'd better take a good long look in the mirror before referring to another person as a "sicko".
7. Hey Don, are you ever going to answer my question? You keep running off and avoiding answering me.
8. Really stuck a nerve didn't he? =P
You mean your juvenile analogy about children about money, children and candy. Yeah. I gave it the attention it deserves which is nothing. Bring something more to the table next time.
This is some of the best writing you've done. That last paragraph is outstanding.
I think, perhaps, you've found your natural subject matter.
The Stranger is missing a huge opportunity if they don't recognize a prize recruit. What is Stefan paying?
11. By all means Eric, keep being a "Sicko." Republicans might make more headway around here if they would unclench their sphincters once in awhile.