August 08, 2007
Democracy held hostage: Day 30
Sherril Huff's Top Ten Reasons For Not Verifying The I-25 Petitions In a Timely Fashion.
10. "Just give me two more years until my state pension is fully vested, then they can do whatever they want with the office!"
9. "Why do these people want to pick their elections director anyway? I'm a competent non-political professional, just like Dean Logan!"
8. "I wouldn't mind finishing this more quickly, but Dwight Pelz won't allow it!"
7. "If we Rope-A-Dope them on this issue, they might stop talking about how royally we screwed up the vote-by-mail plan!"
6. "What do you mean '4 standard errors means it's certain to qualify'? I won't admit to making any errors!"
5. "My disgust is in the aims of these people. So much energy invested in foul work, not useful work"
4. "$50,000? Who gives a rip? Anybody who's willing to spend $37 billion on light rail isn't going to be upset if we waste another $50,000 on something else!"
3. "As a public servant for more than 20 years, not a day goes by that I am not reminded to treat others with kindness and respect."
2. "Why bother voting on this anyway? Don't they know we're going to keep finding ballots until it loses?"
1. "I don't care. I don't have to. I'm appointed!"
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at August 08, 2007
12:23 PM | Email This
ROTFLMAO....crying, but ROTFLMAO.
Or, as Homer (Simpson) said, "It's funny because it's true."
2. applause, applause!
You still have the failure of the King County Council to EVER approve a statistical sampling method under King County Code 1.16.100. This failure has been the same for the last 37 years, regardless of whether Republicans or Democrats have been in the majority on the King County Council, or whether a Democrat or Republican held the King County Executive position and therefore had the power of appointment of the Director of Records & Elections.
In fact, the last Republican appointed Director of Records & Elections (holding that position for 7 years -- far longer than any recent Democratic appointee since then) has been on the King County Council for almost the last 14 years. To my knowledge, this person has NEVER introduced any ordinance to approve a statistical sampling method in the nearly 14 years that she has been on the King County Council, nor did she suggest that the King County Council adopt such an ordinance during the 7 years she was Director of Records & Elections.
Stefan's arguments in favor of electing an Elections Director are just as convincing for electing some new leadership on the King County Council.
Check it out... my first class mail from Bellevue just arrived 14 months late:
I do believe that our ballots are sent first class, right?
Number 3 above, your politicking above doesn't address the issue.
The issue TODAY is compounded by your party's need to allow anyone who can pick up a pencil or have a live relative be allowed to vote on complex issues- ON THE DAY OF THE VOTE.
Your party's mantra- Let every vote count- is the cause of the problem we have. Your party doesn't want to purge all your dead voters (why not, eh?), it wants felons who haven't paid their debt to society vote early and vote often, and it wants same day registration and registration without proof of residency.
Some system your guys and gals setup!! Thanks a lot, Mr. Democrat!!
6. The King County "Full Employment" and "Waste Your Tax Money" continues...............
Hi guys, as you know I have no fear to disagree when I do. But on this issue, you are on the right track. Notjust for electing theauditor but why should they be allowed to pplay games in counting signatures?
Lots of folks have run into this at KC whether they are rightie, leftie, independent, whatever.
Howver in trying to get the press on this, as I believe you should, you might want to tone done the statements above...yes they are good humor for an internet site but you have more than enough substance to pitch a story to the press. Maybe get a group who have signed this thing to sign a statement forthe press, complaining their initiative rights are infringed?
We do have the right to initiative nad it seems to be violated here.
8. Makes you wonder if they even understand basic statistics - I'm betting they don't.