June 29, 2007
A guest editorial in today's Seattle Times by the presidents of the county and state corrections officer unions claims that years of inadequate funding for jails and staff now threatens public safety.
Of course they have some self-interest an making this argument just as teacher union officials have an interest in always demanding more money for government schools. But clearly something is wrong when high-risk violent felons are given early release without adequate supervision. I don't know how much funding the corrections system needs to do an effective job, or what other reforms might be needed, but it's an important discussion to have.
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at June 29, 2007
11:57 AM | Email This
1. Surplus 30.06 ammo and M-1 Garands are cheap. But I guess we can't do that to violent, high-risk felons anymore.
Well, I'm out of ideas...
2. Corrections Officers handle the failures of the teachers unions.
King County spends too much money on criminal justice to be acuused of tin cupping the criminal justice system.
It is a union rep trying to get more membership.
They grow unions here ,and this is just how they do it.
4. Jesus Christ.
You fine, well-qualified and smart folks ought to try to get one of those stinking prison guard jobs for that pay.
As a Republican and a Fireman, let me tell you that Public Safety is under attack, and it isn't always from the left.
Not really. I am in a public Union, and we have a number of members that are not apart of my local or international union. These members are not harassed and are welcomed into the brotherhood. Besides, if we have more corrections officers, we can jail more sh+%bags and that would make me very happy.
6. Well, the Democrats are in charge at all levels of city, county and state governments, so they must be the ones soft on crime
7. Well, the Democrats are in charge at all levels of city, county and state governments, so they must be the ones soft on crime
8. Well the Democrats control all the reigns of government so they must be the ones soft on crime.
9. Well the Democrats control all the reigns of government so they must be the ones soft on crime.