June 13, 2007
The Party Hack
this post. Was a substitute for
another party hack.
Al Gore may be thankful he avoided a sudden change in climate at Husky Stadium over the weekend.
It turns out the former vice president was the mysterious speaker the University of Washington had
been courting for months to give this year's commencement address, which went soggily awry Saturday.
Or perhaps I should say, former party hack. Now, it is harder to find the right term to describe
Al Gore, though "unscrupulous televangelist" comes close.
Incidentally, neither Al Gore nor, judging by his
own biography, Norm Dicks, has any claim to scholastic
excellence. Gore had mediocre grades in college and dropped out of both divinity school and law
school. Dicks did complete a law degree, but does not mention any scholastic honors.
Cross posted at Jim Miller on Politics.
(Why "unscrupulous televangelist"? Because Gore is acting more like a religious figure than a
scientific thinker, and because he has been so — shall we say, careless — with data and
logic. For an example of that carelessness, see
this press release.)
Posted by Jim Miller at June 13, 2007
10:44 AM | Email This
1. I don't know, "wannabe messiah" seems to work pretty well too.
Sorry to tell you this Norm, but as one of those who was bored to tears by your stump speach I can safely say we would have wanted you off the stage even if it were 75 degrees out.
The only difference the rain made was that we couldn't just ignore you and pretend to be interested while enjoying the weather.
The UDub didn't embarrass themselves, you did.
3. Be sure to read the article. There's 'not getting it' and then there's a whole, new level of not having a clue.
This is reality vs. media -- the Libs have completely fooled themselves into thinking things that are only creations of the media.
Here's reality: how come even though Bush supposedly only has "30 percent" of support, whenever there is a "national protest" only a few people in rain ponchos show up?
How come when a Liberal guy like Dicks "speaks out" against a supposedly unpopular administration, he gets boo'd off the stage?
Never in the history of America has the media been so far from the true sentiment of the American people. Hollywood stars and newsmen are living in la-la land if they don't understand the reality and sentiment of the American populace.
5. I'm sure Gore would have wowed them. The wooden priest of global warming truly gives new meaning to the term "stump speaker".
6. Don't go too hard on them, John. :) Unlike the P-I which simply ignored it, at least The Times acknowledges he got booed.
7. If Iraq in '08 looks like Iraq now, we're done. Couple that with the immigration mess, and it's hard for me to imagine any Republicans getting elected anywhere. Rossi took a pass in '06 against Cantwell for very good reasons. It turns out he made a good decision, because no one was going to beat Cantwell that year. If something doesn't change by '08, the downdraft from the national overlay of Iraq will doom state and local candidates.
8. The original speaker was supposed to be Bill Gates. He didn't even finish his undergrad! What a massive failure!
Got a copy of Slime (aka Time) magazine out of the gutter, and read its wall-to-wall, cover-to-cover suck-up swoon for Weird Al. There's been nothing like this in my experience since our watchdog attack-dog press corps dropped its pants for a young boy named Jack Kennedy and for the kid's kid brother. What began (for the press) as merely flirtatious infatuation when Kennedy falsely maligned Republicans for its missile gap turned into self-seduction when Kennedy blundered into the Bay of Pigs. At his post-disaster press conference, Kennedy was love bombed: no hostile questions, no tough questions, no quizical questions, no questions an inept corrupt incompetent president didn't want to answer. JFK's road was wide open for blundering into a no-gap missile crisis.
So here we go again. Time magazine is infatuated with a fat fat-cat Democrat who couldn't get through God school and who fought his war from the shallow end of the typing pool. This Gore person is an oracular instant pundit that Henry Luce's successors are pushing on us like bad dope. They're mainlining and I'm hallucinating: it's yesterday, 1961, once more.
Wow, Gorebasm (#9): Next you'll argue that the real reason for the trade embargo agasint Castro is El Jefe's willingness to nuke the US back in 1961.
Bygones, baby. Don't you realize that Cuba has better health care than America? Michael Moore just made a movie all about it. (Too bad the Cubans didn't offer that whale a free lap band...)
The times article is a must read! Dicks raises the bar on moron with an exponent.
Please UW- get MORE clueless democrats to speak at captive audiences. Why not pass out democrat donation envelopes with the programs while you are at it?
Congressman Dicks said:
Dicks, who holds two degrees from UW and played football there, said the university should move commencement to Safeco Field or some other covered venue "so they don't embarrass themselves again."
Now that is denial. The man is totally self un-aware. Dicks was one of the few Dems that I still held some regard for. Gone!
13. This is why I no longer donate to the UW as an alum. Is this really the universe of speakers that the school considers?
14. Janet, How well does it speak of a University the size of U-Dub that they can't book a qualified speaker for graduation? Maybe they can get Michael Moore or Castro's brother next year...
15. Fred Thompson is going to lose the presidential election.
16. ...to Al Gore.
Bygones, baby? Swap the words 'Global Warming' for the words 'Missile Gap' or 'Bay of Pigs,' and we're right here in the here-and-now.
JFK's old news. Sy Hersh learned that there's no percentage in telling the truth about a dead Democrat. The new news is that our watchdog media is morphing again into poodles for the Democrat du jour.
As for sicko Michael Moore, if you think the slob is telling the truth about Castro and Cuba, then you better see a doctor.
There are only 3 LITTLE WORDS
you need to know, understand & follow..
Take the right step to a better life & make a difference in YOUR world!
3 SMALL STEPS is all it takes to give you MORE money, Better Health &
an incredible opportunity
to be abolsutley happy in your life!
Why dont YOU "Choose This Life
This is a health & wealth REVOLUTION that is paying everyday people just
like YOU & ME upwards of $12,900 USD every single month
experience required, NO
stock to buy, NO
over hyped promises
cold calling, NO
rejection & NO
FAIL marketing system....
Just follow *3 SIMPLE STEPS & I GUARANTEE YOU WILL EARN MONEY*
Let our 100% AUTOMATED SYSTEM
work for you 24/7 to make you money!