April 24, 2007
Bad Choice of Words Department
Dan Savage has the catch.
A Bentonville, Ark., man is seeking $20,000 from the city after his two teenage sons found a book on lesbian sex on a public library bookshelf. He also wants the library director fired.
Earl Adams said his 14- and 16-year-old sons were "greatly disturbed" after finding the book, titled "The Whole Lesbian Sex Book." Adams said the book caused "many sleepless nights in our house."
I'll bet it did.
I suppose there's a lesson here about being a little more aware of the world in which you live, and preparing your children to deal with that world no matter what belief system in which you're raising them. But for now I'm too busy laughing.
Oh, and the dad, "said the teenagers found it while browsing for material on military academies."
Posted by Eric Earling at April 24, 2007
08:09 PM | Email This
We should be careful, WEA might just use this text in the New Sex ED our public schools are going to adopt.
This parent needs to be a PARENT and know what his kids are reading.
He might have had my sympathy (depending on whether the book is obscene or not) if he hadn't sued.
Our civil justice system has been thoroughly corrupted by these sue-over-everything idiots.
3. I might feel a little different if this graphic sex manual had been found in a public school library. I question its appropriateness in a public library, but cannot see how a lawsuit for damages is possibly justified. On the other hand, the gentleman is merely ASKING for $20,000, as opposed to ACTUALLY SUING for $20,000. So I will defend simply ASKING for this money as a legitimate form of freedom of speech. But he shouldn't actually file a lawsuit, since it would be meritless.
4. Oops. I misunderstood. I thought he was suing. But he's merely "seeking."
Come on Richard....You speak like a lawyer....Your a parent. Take the responsibilty as a parent, and know what your kids are reading. I seriously doubt that at ages of 14 & 16 that his boys don't "know" about "Sex"
This is the problem with society today. They expect the "goverment" to protect, shield, and prevent all "wrongs" from being committed against them. If the goverment can't then they SUE them.
BTW Richard, why do you want the lesbian community deprived of such a "useful" publication. I am sure there are hundreds of lesbian's that could make use of that book, and you want to keep it from them???
Someone should call the ACLU.....
6. Obscene comment formerly at #6 deleted.
7. This parent would have really ticked & probably sued for $2 million if his lads had found "The Hole Lesbian Sex Book" on that shelf!
8. I was offend by a book at the library once. It said I was going to burn in hell, not mention that it contained lots of violent content. I think it was called the Bible or something. I would like the library to give me 19,000. I am not that greedy after all.
9. There's a lot of good stuff in that Bible, Giffy. Don't miss it.
Is this the 2007 equivalent of "finding" Lady Chatterly's Lover?
Seriously...these kids can find more porn on the Internet then you can bat an eye...
11. I would also advise you read that book, Giffy. Or would you rather let Queen Christine and the Washington State Legislature continue to define our moral values?
So many comments, so little time....
I can see the connection between military academies and lesbian sex. The greatest science fiction writer, Robert Heinlein, included lots of sex (often girl-girl) in some of his novels. Robert Heinlein is a graduate of the US Naval Academy, class of 1929.
Bet if you ask those kids, they read science fiction too.
Makes perfect sense to me!
13. Hmmm, this could be a way to get military recruiting back into Seattle High Schools. :-)
Unless someone was messing about with the placement of the books, I don't think one would find military academy information next to the "how to" section. Looks like the schools don't teach the Dewey decimal system anymore (along with reading, writing, thinking...) Be that as it may, there are deeper issues here if his kids are really that emotionally traumatized.
15. Maybe they need the $20,000 to pay for overdue fines as the boys have kept the book under their mattress for the past 3 years.
16. Can anyone say that it wasn't a matter of time before the "right not to be offended" would be discovered by the Right? Who ever said that it was something held only by black women and flying Muslim imams?
If you want to talk to him or send him a card, (yes it is him).
813 SE Rachel Ave
Bentonville, AR 72712-6888
Ha, ha, ha!! Yeah, the kids were "greatly disturbed"! Ha, ha, ha!! Better now than when they're 30ish i guess.
So what exactly is a "whole lesbian"? You know, you'd think that any whole lesbian would already know how to have sex. Isn't sex just as natural as . . . uh . . . never mind.