February 14, 2007
Global Warming Update (VII)
The U.S. House Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality has postponed today's hearing on "Climate Change: Are Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Human Activities Contributing to a Warming of the Planet?" due to "inclement weather", i.e. "A massive sleet and ice storm"
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at February 14, 2007
10:17 AM | Email This
1. Oh no, not another global warming post. Now we'll have to suffer more serial posting from the manic David Mathews.
2. Can't wait till the heat waves this summer. =)
Hey, Kool-Aid man, the posts by Stefan and other skeptics are meant to question the mass hysteria that the "debate is over" regarding global warming.
If you pull head out of sand and read what the skeptics and scientists say, you will find that the apocalyptic scenario of Gore and others is just that.
I am reminded of my youth in the 50s in a small town of 30,000 in the Midwest watching the "World Is Ending" prophets on the corner streets of even my small town.
Weather is so cyclic and the data so sparse that models and conjecture that an evil global warming cycle is occurring is stuff Twilight Zone material is made of. Oops, that is right, isn't it? Wasn't Art Bell and Al Gore corroborators of the Doomsday movie "Day After Tomorrow"?
As compared to the ~2500 scientists that say "the debate is over", there are over 17,000 that say, "the debate is not over":
Thanks. I was hoping you would pick this up and post per the continuing highlight of the Global Warming tomfoolery.
It's appropriate to continue mocking the Global Warming hysterics since those responsible for the hysteria continue to mock real science with their limited computer models and UN political statements ahead of actual scientific papers.
Mankind has far more important issues on which to focus our resources, energies and capital than vague 1000 year climate hysteria.
6. I second Jeff B. Congratulations on helping put the myth of anthropogenic induced climate change back in the sci-fi comics with your excellent application of wit. You're doin' a hell of a job Stefan!
In a recent concurring opinion WASC justices Sanders and Jim Johnson question both the truth about allegations of global warning; and the disadvantages of global warning, if it exists at all.
Check it out
8. Since the global warming advocates are so convinced people are the major cause of this "problem", I suggest we track down and identify all those who believe this nonsense and then tell them the honorable thing to do is to hop a spaceship to the planet of their choice or drink a special cyanide kool-aid. Manmade emissions would plummet overnight and the rest of us wouldn't have to listen to the unfounded rantings of these nutcases. I wonder if Al Gore will be first to give it all up for the cause?
9. The conference thing is smack dab in the area of the absurd and ridiculous, and the Libs don't even get the joke. If nothing else, they are good for the kind of laugh that makes you snort!
Well said. That's the biggest farce going with Global Warming. No one, not even the extreme wackos who comment here, is willing to be the one to take the first step and sacrifice their own quality of life. Also as evidenced by even the most hardened socialist countries in the EU failing to meet their Kyoto targets.
And what rational person would sacrifice their own life now, for the sake of some possibly even non-existent of vague future threat that maybe as far out as 1000 years? No one. It's all just feel good rhetoric. The day Gore sells his houses, cars, fancy planes, etc. and starts living in a mud hut might be a significant day for the Global Warming crowd. Until then, it's all just bluster.
And what about the sun turning into a Red Giant Star that will swallow the earth and other inner solar system planets. I know that's a few billion years out, but that seems to me to be the real Global Warming threat. If we are gonna worry about vague future threats, why not pick the largest one.
Why would so many politicians be so willing to jump on the global warming bandwagon based on such shoddy science? Here is Bill Murrary's theory...
Murray on Global Warning
Who you gonna call?
As a Spokane resident, I implore global warming to make a token appearance over here.
Oh, and bring the sun. We'd like to make sure it's not just an ugly rumor.
13. Jeff B you are so Right On again! Ha ha! Mud hut! The day Al Gore stops flying! You mean they day everybody else except Al Gore stops flying! The only maniacs I know who would sacrifice their own life for the sake of some possibly of a non-existent or vague future threat are my friends in the Armed Forces! Oops. Boo. Not funny. Or is it? Probably not.
You know the liberals really have something with this new "science" they have invented where you "predict" all possible outcomes and declare you are right about the "science" and use that to push your political agenda. So let me introduce my "Correlated Relationship of Atmoshperic Politics" a unifying theory of liberal politics and enviromental climate change.
The theory starts with the fact that liberals cannot get elected by espousing what they truly believe, so they must mask their intentions to the public and electorate in order to gain power to enact those liberal policies that would fail at the ballot box.
Research evidence has shown that liberals are ignorant, foul mouthed and hungry for power. They have little hope of convincing voters to vote for their anti-capitalist, anti-American agenda . Under CRAP theory, it is inevitable that living standard of Americans will head southward as the "solutions" to the global warming theory are implemented.
And of course every correct theory must be able to make accurate predictions. PBJ's Correlated Relationship of Atmoshperic Politics also has predicitons that offer "evidence" that this theory is in fact true. Prediction #1: The more media hype given to the liberal global warming theory, the more monies will flow into "research" grants to academic institutions, a liberal bastion. Prediction #2: The more media hype given to ignorant liberals with no scientific background whatsoever (such as Al Gore) who espouse the liberal global warming theory, the more "credible" such non-credible politicians will seem. The fact that such politicians as Al Gore once stood with Tobacco Farmers and told them he was "once of them" and a few years later used the the death of his sister from smoking to ingratiate himself with the crowd at the 1996 Democrat convention will be soon forgotten. No one will ever ask Al Gore where he did his post graduate work in atmospheric science. Prediction #3: Internationally, fake agreements such as Kyoto will be created and the US will be urged to sign on. Drastic measures that curb economic prosperity will be proposed in the name of preventing climat echange. Of course, as with KYOTO, none of the non US signatories will meet or even come close to meeting their obligations under the treaty but the US will be the only nation in which this will be an issue.
You will know the CRAP theory is true and accurate as it predicts the sun will shine somewhere in the world at least once a day, night will fall somewhere in the world at least once a day, somehwere in the world it will be hotter that somewhere else in the world, somewhere in the world it will be colder than somewhere else in the world and liberals will always lie, cheat or steal to grab power.
15. Jeff B., I agree that the hypocrisy of the global warm-ups is breathtaking. You've got whack-jobs like Al Gore and Joseph Kennedy jet-setting all around the globe preaching to the rest of us about our lifestyles and how we're contributing to this supposed disaster, yet I see nothing they are doing in their own lives in the way of sacrifice. You've got scumbags like John Edwards demagoging on the campaign trail about there being "Two Americas", yet that same ambulance-chasing nitwit is moving into a 28,000+ sq. ft. house, clear-cutting trees to make room for it. And we have our own David Mathews right here on SP, sitting down there in Florida hammering people in Seattle about the rapacious and destructive US economic system, yet when challenged to change his own ways he says, no, sorry, he's talking about group poverty, not individual poverty. Geez, nothing like copping out there, pal. These people are all show and no go.
I sense there's a real snowball that SoundPolitics started with its post on Cosmic Ray theory of heating. No less than the former editor of American Scientist recently slammed the IPCC to the floor in a scathing interview. Here's a blog about his comments:
"As such, we Americans might be overreacting at exactly the wrong time. To put it in perspective, Americans are behaving much the same as they did in March 2000 right before NASDAQ started its historic collapse - buying technology stocks. Calder continued:
Climate history and related archeology give solid support to the solar hypothesis. The 20th-century episode, or Modern Warming, was just the latest in a long string of similar events produced by a hyperactive sun, of which the last was the Medieval Warming.
The Chinese population doubled then, while in Europe the Vikings and cathedral-builders prospered. Fascinating relics of earlier episodes come from the Swiss Alps, with the rediscovery in 2003 of a long-forgotten pass used intermittently whenever the world was warm. "
Yes, John, throughout Stefan's updates, I've been saying that Al Gore is taking a dangerous bet. By overreacting as much as he has, he's drawn significant attention to himself and his cause. It will only take a few years, maybe a decade or so, before we can look back and begin to ask the question, "Was Al Right?"
Chances are very good, that even by the IPCC's own admission (even in the political statement just released) that the Average Joe will conclude that no, in fact, Al was wrong. Doom and Gloom did not arrive. And as much as the media will want to be the one to make this call, it will be made by Average Joe. Let's say there's a five inch rise in Global Sea Levels. (I doubt we can even be that accurate in measurement for the whole earth given possibly invalid correlation of installations of various test devices from different mfgs. and units in different countries, languages, etc. , but let's pretend that it's perfectly accurate and it's five inches.) Average Joe is going to look around and see that 5 inches did nothing at all to effect anyone's life, or only the very few that the media has hand picked in special cases to try and find a smoking gun. And Average Joe is going to conclude that it was once again, another climate hysteria hype gone bad.
Al Gore will be reduced to one of the greatest laughing stocks in human history, and those who have even legitimate environmental concerns will have a much more difficult time trying to convince people that indeed there is a wolf to worry about. It's going to be very entertaining.
18. I heard an interesting report today about the global warming myth. It turns out that first, the ice packs of Greenland are back up to their normal size this year after getting smaller last year and secondly, it turns out that Antarctica has actually been growing quite a bit in the last few years. Of course none of this fits the MSM's global warming cookie cutter story so it gets ignored.
19. Yeah, the media and their action lines. Notice the anti-Alaska Air action line ever since they went non-union with the baggage handlers? It's to the point that you hear about something, and then you go do all of the journalism and research yourself to find the actual truth.
20. Speaking of the congressional hearings - did anyone catch pelosi pontificating on low sulfur coal? Very ironic because billy clinton locked up one of the largest low sulfur coal reserves in the world by making it the "Grand Staircase-Escalante National
Monument" all to help out the Lippo group, Riady family and Indonesia (which is where the other major low sulfur cal reserve is...).