January 06, 2007
Where all the children are
above average disabled
Next Friday the state Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a public hearing on a proposal to amend the Washington Law Against Discrimination to include a definition of disability that is essentially unlimited:
(c) [A disability] is perceived to exist whether or not it exists in fact.
A disability exists whether it is temporary or permanent, common or uncommon, mitigated or unmitigated, or whether or not it limits the ability to work generally or work at a particular job or whether or not it limits any other activity within the scope of this chapter.
This proposed act would be both "remedial and retroactive".
Well that's one way of implementing "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need".
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at January 06, 2007
12:35 PM | Email This
Wow. If this isn't a fantastic example of today's Marxist class warfare, I don't know what is.
This is essentially, pick your own victim card. It doesn't even have to have any outward qualities. You just pick a card, and you automatically qualify as a minority class that can use today's politically correct multiculturalism as class warfare leverage.
2. Actually it is worse. The Marx quote at least addressed the substantive "ability" of a person. The proposed law suggests that a disabiluty exists based on perception.
3. Look for more "emotional support dogs" doing their thing in the aisles of your local grocery store or an eatery near you.
4. I can hear it now: "We aren't communists, we're progressives".
5. After reading the definition, I think we may all be disabled. Where do we line up for our SSI checks?
6. The amount of funding schools receive for special ed students exceeds that for mainstream students. This is just a money grab. However, the extra funding will certainly not benefit special ed students. It doesn't all now, and it won't if it increases. Too much of the money goes to administration and never makes it into the special ed classroom. This is just another blank check for the school districts.
While as a practical matter there may be more immediately critical problems that need to be addressed with the way our State government operates (or NOT, as the case may be), I can't think of anything that has come across the net for a LONG time that better encapsulates the ultimate left-wing big-government socialist perspective than this item:
If you THINK you are ''disadvantaged'' or disabled, YOU ARE !!.. **AND**:
You are entitled to ''appropriate'' COMPENSATION (to be determined no doubt by yet another massive and inefficient state bureaucracy).
I wonder how far down the radical socialist road we will get before hoi polloi wake up. It better be soon, or China and India are going to eat our lunch in goods and services AND in general academic excellence, even more than they are already doing now (some people have suggested they are already having dessert).
Isn't it ironic that at least economically China ''gets it'', and they are a country that is still nominally run by a communist government (ruthlessly authoritarian and undemocratic, but not really communist as far as most things economic anymore (but that's another thread) ). Meanwhile, there seems to be no limit to how far into left-wing deep-space orbit the starey-eyed ''progressives'' want to take this country.
And ditto what everyone said @ 1-5 above.
8. I guess Teddy K must have been "disabled" when he help to write and co-sponsored the "No child left behind act". Soon only the headless lucy's of the world will be left behind.
Even fully-certified moon-bats like ''headless lucy'' can occasionally remind one of an omission:
I'm reminded that I forgot ''victim'' in my above @ 8. So what I SHOULD have said was:
''If you THINK you are ''disadvantaged'' or disabled or a victim, YOU ARE !!..
That should just about cover everything for even the most radical leftie.
lucy at #7, "Wingnuts are always claiming to be victims."
Some examples please.
11. If this definition is approved, the biggest losers will be those who are truly disabled, as there will be less public funds available to assist them, as it will have to be distributed among more people who just think they have a disability.
12. And lefties get mad when we accuse them of fostering a culture of dependency. I wonder where we got that idea?
13. At least Headless Lucy has a true disability.
My disability is that I am unable to find anything rational in the comments from Headless Lucy. I want immediate state protection and full benefits.
Seriously, folks like Headless Lucy always assume that the world has finite limitations. Global Warming will kill us all. We are going to run out of oil. There will be no more cheap labor, etc. That's the hallmark of the left, they don't believe in the fundamental goodness of humanity. They never want to let man use his ingenuity to solve problems, or assume that new technology will change our needs, because that would remove the false justification for more government.
15. It is already pretty bad in this state when it comes to people claiming disablities. My wife is a in home care giver and she has seen her share. She as one client that is truly disabled from a brain surgery that has left her pretty well incapacitated and then their is her client's sister who also has her own care giver. The sister claims she has this pain when you "press on her skin really hard" so now she gets a caregiver, who she has do all her cooking and cleaning and what not and she has a medicinal marijuana prescreption. She still drives and does volunteer work until the DSHS case worker drops by to visit. I am sure this new "idea" will really make things worse and as stated before the truly disabled, like my wife's client and the vets in the area(Washington State has the highest number of vets per population than anyother state), will be the ones that truly suffer.
I have a drinking problem, a cigarette addiction, a gambling problem, and I'm a womanizer. Also, I can't stop looking at myself in the mirror - I'm so damned good looking. Does this count as "disability"?
(It's all "out of my control"...)
Also, can I get a "comfort animal" for that?
I was thinking a donkey...
18. About that donkey... I think I'll name her Christine.
So, do you think I can get full benefits for my "nature deficit disorder"?
Maybe they can pay me to take Christine the Donkey to the woods where I can enjoy THE CRITICAL AREAS and cure my horrible horrible HORRIBLE disease.
20. Of course Headless Lucy's disability is in her name....she has lost her frickin head.
Super Majority -> Simple Majority
Watch your pocket books this year folks.
I fear this will lead to something more sinister. In this culture we tend to treat illness with drugs. Ask the anti behavior drug school crusaders about the number of children we "medicate" to make better. Some children may benefit, but not the number we currently medicate. Folks, it is about control on an number of different levels.
Secular progressives have removed values from school other than Marxist values. The society does not support strong families, married parents, and does everything it can to make fun of those with strong religious values. In the absence of other controls, behavior drugs will now have to be used. If everyone is a behavior problem, all can be drugged.
I can't wait for the comments from Headless.
Not just the children being "drugged", ask any 20 something what prescript they are taking. The answer will be "anti-depressant"...Gotta have them, gotta feel good, can't take the "stress". These same are ritalin babys of 15 years ago, needing "something" to feel good about. Remember in the 60's when most women were given "Valium" to help them cope with motherhood.
Its all about "feeling good", and being legal.
24. Sounds like a bill from the state Trial Lawyers Association.
25. Sounds like a bill from the state Trial Lawyers Association.
A new disorder "nature-deficit disorder" has arrived.
The PI has this in their soundoff section here:
Wow, I didn't realize how many different names we have for just being lazy.
27. Hot damn! Can I get a special license plate so I can park on the sidewalk in front of Starbucks and use the HOV lanes by myself? I percieve I have an addiction to caffeine and also an unmitigated and uncommon phobia of any passengers riding in my car.
Any insensitive right wing reactionaries who doubt me will be sued. Viva la victims!!
28. tjhx hrigz botmyg idoz mzqlgj mtuaqvpe pemkayx
29. kpdmfvya rqbz opczev txbswyv gzlmka peozhab cbdtonvw http://www.eicqg.rnlyokq.com
30. Good site. Thanks!!!
31. Good site. Thanks!!!