October 04, 2006
Beren - McDermott to debate in Shoreline
File this under "when pigs fly." Through sheer persistence, Republican congressional candidate Steve Beren has forced Jim McDermott into a debate. It's happening tomorrow night, the 5th, at 8:30 pm at the Shoreline Conference Center. More details are available on Beren's website: Beren and McDermott at October 5 Candidates Forum.
Beren has been challenging McDermott to debate all year. At first, McDermott wouldn't reply. But the more Beren put his issues on the table, the more McDermott is forced to respond. And now they'll meet head to head.
Beren and McDermott disagree about everything. For example, compare their answers to the Vote Smart questionaire. Given Beren's skill at presenting issues, the debate should be enlightening and entertaining.
Posted by Andy MacDonald at October 04, 2006
09:15 PM | Email This
How exactly did Beren "force" McDermott into doing the right thing? Is it conceivable that he just decided to do the right thing?
Dare to imagine, Stefan.
2. Go Steve!! Remember to have fun. Laugh! Seattle can do better than Sadaam's Key to the City Jim. The party of Scoop can do better. Remember the 6 way race in the 43rd. Someone in the 7th could do better!
3. Seattle AT LEAST deserves a better Democrat. Why his own party won't put him to pasture is beyond me. Why have this guy in there? WHY Jim McDermott? He seems to be staying there til they carry him out. Beren seems so much more intelligible and sane. Seattle ought to give him a chance.
"How exactly did Beren "force" McDermott into doing the right thing? Is it conceivable that he just decided to do the right thing?
Posted by Bruce at October 4, 2006 10:32 PM"
Bruce you silly savage...re-read what you wrote.
You even dare to suggest McDimwit would do the right thing??????
I guess there is a first time for everything...but I doubt it.
Look at McDimwit's history.
He worked overtime to hide property from a civil judgment.
McDimwit is worse that what Bruce claims to despise!
5. I have mixed feelings about this race. On the one hand, Beren rocks. On the other, McDermott is such a wonderful poster child to help swing voters in swing districts all across the country remember what the Dems are really all about. He is inadvertently such a good propaganda tool that I'd hate to see him go.
6. The real problem here is the countless pin-heads in the 7th CD that keep voting McDumbslob back into office! We ALL suffer from this lunatic left pinko tax first, earth first, perverts first, Osama loving, any age or reason for abortion proponent mental case waste of amino acids. I understand he has a tremendous singing voice however and likes puppies.... Wait, was I talking about the twit in Birkenstocks Murray again? Same same.
Force implies Beren had some sort of leverage. Given that Beren only had 1500 on hand in his latest filing, he couldn't even send out a mailing telling people McDermott wouldn't debate him.
McDermott could take a long nap though the next month and coast easily to election.
My Hunch is that McDermott is doing this for fun and to remind Seattle why we love him so much. Watching Beren defend the Iraq War in shoreline should be good for a laugh.
8. This is only the second time in McDermott's carrer that he has even agreed to a debate. His first time was during his very 1st Primary some 18 years ago.
If the Republicans in general would follow Beren's lead policy-wise, there wouldn't be serious talk of the Demorats gaining seats. I doubt that voters in Jimmy McDs district are sympathetic to Beren's issues (after all, they keep electing that Socialist buffoon) but nationally they'd do real well. Beren's positions remind me of Reagan.
Giffy #7: That attitude is the arrogance that leads to downfall.
should be interesting. i want to see the camera pan to the American flag pin on Jim's lapel. THAT's a laugh--the traitor. wait--which lapel flag pin will he wear? Iran's? the EU? a simple white flag?
Jiggy's right--he keeps getting re-elected, and that's the sad fact.
11. will transcripts be available? i don't trust the papers' versions
12. Pre-debate advice to McDermott: detox for 24 hours. Dang--it's tonight! I may be too late!
Go Steve - take a 55-gallon drum and splash some whop-a** on Jim McD.
Can you get any audio from this exchange ? It could be fun to listen to this, although the pinko lemmings in the 7th District will vote for this buffoon and probably reelect him.
The odd thing is that these pinheads that vote for him repeatedly actually believe that they have the moral high ground, because for one thing; the UN sides with them.
How do can one convince these misguided pinheads that they are frauds and are only helping the terrorists ? Maybe Berens could have a slogan - A vote for McDermott is a vote for the Islamists in the war on terrorism... What a schmuck !
14. McDermott will wipe the floor with that other guy.
15. McDermott will wipe the floor with that other guy.
16. So, was there a debate? Transcripts, or a link to.... anyone?
17. #14, 15 You will be proven wrong, but it won't matter because there are likely enough brain dead voters like yourself in the 7th District to reelect the narcissistic buffoon !
Excerpt from column by Joel Connelly in today's Seattle P-I - full article at http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/connelly/287986_joel09.html
"An urgently needed national debate on Iraq policy has been reduced, in the 2006 election campaign, to Vietnam-era sound bites. 'Cut and run' is vintage Lyndon Johnson. The Republican National Committee snarls at 'Defeatocrats.'
"At a candidates' night at Shoreline [Conference Center] last week, bookend positions were defined. Amazingly, its sponsors -- the League of Women Voters and Shoreline Chamber of Commerce -- did not direct a single Iraq question at candidates.
"'This is a war of necessity, not a war of choice,' said Steve Beren, a Seattle businessman and GOP challenger to Congressman-for-life Jim McDermott.
"Beren, who protested the Vietnam War, displays a convert's zealotry toward the Iraq conflict. He sees America's mission as 'spreading freedom and fighting terrorism.'
"McDermott wants out of Iraq. 'We started out on 9/11 with the whole world with us,' he told about 50 listeners. 'We have come to the point where most of the world is against us.'"