January 25, 2006
Lose weight now! Ask Ron how!
A report in today's Seattle Times says: "Urban sprawl adds pounds, pollution"
Residents of King County's less-walkable neighborhoods — can you say sprawl? — are more likely to be overweight, a recently completed study concludes.
Another related study has found, perhaps not surprisingly, that people who live and work in those neighborhoods generate more auto-related air pollution, another potential threat to health.
Naturally, the liberal nannies are using this sort of "science" to try to force more of us out of our cars, into denser neighborhoods and to justify infinite public funds for trails:
Karen Wolf, a senior policy analyst in [Ron] Sims' office, said that as a result of the studies, the county already has amended the policies that guide its planning to make health a priority.
Yeah, all that urban dwelling and trail building has apparently helped Ron Sims maintain his slender figure.
And let's not forget about all those other svelte urban anti-car nanny-staters, like Greg Nickels
, Larry Gossett
, Larry Philips
, Jim McDermott
and Paul Berendt
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at January 25, 2006
10:54 AM | Email This
Let me get this right; you're against people walking more and being healthy? That we have infinite sources of fuel and, therefore, should not moderate our driving in the least?
As far as these guys and their physiques, that's low blow. Just not becoming of anyone who wants to be taken seriously.
2. Apparently, you did not get this right, Westello. You have a typical liberal elitist mind set. It is not up to you to make sure that other people walk and lead healthy lives. It is their choice. By the same token, it is not McDonald's fault when people get fat by eating their food. Those who choose to eat at McDonald's are responsible for their choice.
Good point. We should have them on a regimen of sit-ups, push-ups and runs.
Make them look like those Republicans Dino Rossi, Mary Lane, Bill Finkbeiner, and Rob McKenna!!!
Hmmm...I'm actually inclined to agree this is kind of a cheap shot. I prefer to go after Libs on issues using facts...they make it so easy to win.
In this case, I'd wonder just what the specific changes Wolf talks about actually were, and if asked, how long it would take for someone in that office to produce them?
Westello, it's about liberty not health!
When we give up liberty, we gain the nanny state.
We government pays for more and more health care.
Government has more and moresay in our health choices.
If you want government health care, government will tell you when and where to eat, when and where to walk.
This is a fight for our liberty.
and certainly much more.
Soon Government will decide demographically that I am overwieght, drive too much therefore they will force me too live in dense urban centers, take public transit, and eat salad with tofu.
Before that happens...
Into the highrises you go! and we'll be impounding your car, thank you.
But seriously, it's hard to lose weight when you are KC executive and ride around in a chauffeur-driven car!
And did you realize that President Bush is far more fit than any of these leftwing pols you named? Way to go, W! President Bush's exercise habits are a model for others, truly! He is reportedly in fine, fit condition.
7. Oh, but wait! I'm sure Nickels and Sims are just carrying the fat so we don't have to. They care about us, you know.
8. This is yet another effort by the anti-growth LEFTIST PINHEADED "Smart-Growth" KLOWNS to PROGRESSIVELY social engineer our communities.
They want us to be like Amsterdam....where all the elite like them live in Villa's in the Country and have a Flat in the City. And they don't want anyone else to live in the country except like-minded elitists! They want all the worker-bees and non-Progressive Elite to live in a frigging rat-maze called the City. They are trying to sell it that you will somehow become more healthy! Healthy my A$$!!! Live in Seattle with huge sun-blocker buildings everywhere. And wretched air???
Of course no one is against being healthier. Do you really think these KLOWNS care if Stefan is healthier????
I love living in rural areas. I get plenty of exercise and love it. And I happily pay to do so. Most people are fat for other reasons like THEY EAT TO F*CKING MUCH!!!
Don't be fooled by Ron Sims "good intentions". If Ron Sims wanted to be a community health role-model, he would lose 60 pounds! I don't think the picture is a low blow at all. There are plenty of weighs to stay trim & healthy....urban & rural. This is BS.
Frankly, I think Sims is actually sucking his gut in for this photo. They guy has a seriously bad case of Dicky-Do Disease....you know, where his belly sticks out further than his.........!
It also looks like Sims belt is stressed to the max. Is that belt Cowhide Ron??? What did you do Ron, kill a cow to make a belt and then eat it?!!
The only thing funnier is if our pathetic Michael Moore Wannabe, Joel Cornholey, were to right an editorial about the importance of exercise and good health.
9. I suppose running away from muggers, rapists and aggressive panhandlers will become part of the "Seattle Workout."
I don't run, I draw and .... oh they took my gun...
Take a hike.
12. Let me get this right; you're against people walking more and being healthy? That we have infinite sources of fuel and, therefore, should not moderate our driving in the least?
Here's a basic tenant of leadership most libs are ignorant of:
Set the example. Live the example.
When one porker points a finger at another and say, "Hey, you need to lose some weight,", the correct answer is "Look in the mirror".
Most conservatives laugh at liberals not just because their ideas are, well, laughable, but also for the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude that goes with it.
Fatty Dems, Reps, Libertians, Greens, Socialist, et al need to all go on weight watchers or nutra system, and go to the gym.
Everyone already knows to lose weight you eat less calories and get more exercise, but we don't follow the plan. That's why folks who attend these weekly meetings are successful in losing the weight and keeping it off.
PS The word at Sky Walker Ranch in Marin County is that Ron, Greg, Larry, Larry, Jim and Paul are going appears as Jabba the Hut's intellectually challenged offspring in Star Wars VII
14. That is a great picture of Larry Philips with two long-haired jackasses. And a mule.
McDermott looks more and more like Teddy "The Swimmer" Kennedy every day.
And Teddy sound more like Mcdinwit.
Could it be they both came here on the same spaceship? Perhaps the devine plan is for both of these KLOWNS to "morph" into one big fat dumb guy??
But back to the point here....
FatA$$es SHOULD NOT LECTURE AND LEGISLATE FOR BETTER HEALTH AND WEIGHT LOSS!!
The next thing you know, all these KLOWNS will be shilling for Subway like that Jason dude.
Or pose with Kirstie Alley.
It is more dangerous when these KLOWNS start their Social Engineering pretending that health is the issue.....when it's really about CONTROL./
16. They forgot to figure in those other lifestyle factors that come with living in the 'burbs: peace & quiet, less crime, better neighbors, fewer bums/panhandlers, relaxed lifestyle, chance to see wildlife other than deranged squirrels, yards, better schools.....list goes on
17. Yep all, and even though President Bush is in very good physical condition (waaaaay better than these overweight leftists) he is NOT telling us that we are wrong to want a house with a yard IN THE SUBURBS no less and keep our cars, too. Thank you, President Bush for your fitness example AND for not being a nag like the lefties.
Do as they say, not as they do.
Ron rides in a limousine and expects the rest of us to abandon our cars and use Sound Transit, even though it would take us twice as long to get to our destination and ten times the cost to the economy as a whole.
19. Jeff B.
Excellent point about Sims Limo.
It would be a hoot watching Sims trying to get his Fat A$$ into one of those Recumbent (sp??) BiCycles and pedal it to work every day, wouldn't it? Ron would probably have to wear full body-armor to make it to work without bleeding to death from all the spills & tumbles he would most certainly take trying to ride one of those things. Can you see Ron on the Cover of the Bicyclist's Monthly? Creme-filled donut in one hand and 5,000 calorie latte in the other. Look Ma, no hands!!!
20. It is not a low blow to point out the hypocrisy of fat liberals trying to legislate to everyone else how to drop the pounds anymore than it is for self righteous religous kooks to try to legislate things to "protect marriage" when they have a couple honey's on the side.
21. Is that Paul Berendt in the Pink outfit????
I always thought Paul was a closet fancy-boy!
Paul must feel quite liberated today.
22. EEEEEEEEEEEEEYEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW.........OHMYGOD.....i had to do it. i looked at the photo of berendt and it made me relive all over again having to shake his FAT sweaty PAW. and ,as i have said before, it was just like grabbing a bouquet of sweaty [limp] sausages.
my skin is still undulating in horror..........
try to warn us [after all...isn't that what you do in a nanny state?] before you put up the pics, of just how hor-ee-bull they will actually be. LOL.
The intellectual quality of both your posts and the comments continues to deteriorate. I can certainly see why your readership has fallen.
It's getting hard to take you seriously when you lower yourself to this kind of material.
24. No one can convince me that Ron and Dean haven't been heading down to Dick's for a milkshake pretty regularly. Double, triple, and quadruple entendres not intended.
25. well stefan...you must have hit a nerve to have "uncle witz" make those classic and unfounded comments. last time i looked he spent most of his time at HA where, as we all know, most of the posters only exist in goldy's little mind....and the fodder for thought is classless to say the least.
and all this coming from a guy that calls himself uncle witz???
now...that IS funny.
There's finally a post where I can use my supply of "Yo Democrat is so fat" jokes that I've picked up through the years.
"Yo Democrat is so fat, the ground shakes when he runs for office"
"Yo Democrat is so fat, he thinks he's the center of the political universe"
"Yo Democrat is so fat, she wore her red Che Guevera shirt and all the kids yelled 'Hey Kool-Aid'"
"Yo Democrat is so fat, that when she sits around the State house, she sits AROUND the house"
"Yo Democrat is so fat, that when he walked past the TV, I missed three episodes of '24'"
"Yo Democrat is so fat, that NASCAR wants to build a taxpayer's funded racetrack on her butt"
"Yo Democrat is so fat, endangered Puget Sound orcas swim by to watch him"
"Yo Democrat is so fat, three boxes of military ballots got lost under her armpit"
I'm sure everyone has their own. I'll be saving my "Yo Democrat is so hairy" jokes for 2008 presidential election...
Those be mighty good!
I hope my friends who are RIGHT realize that having a sense of humor is essential in the battle with the LEFTIST PINHEADED KLOWNS. People like Unkl Witz are oh so serious and oh so self-righteous.....they have permanent frown lines.
The real humorous part is that LEFTISTS like LeftFoot actually believe in the stuff they spew and actually believe there is something wrong with anyone who doesn't take them seriously!!!
These KLOWNS are joke fodder. No one actually takes them seriously...do they????
28. reporterward......those are classic. but you forgot to point this out...
"Yo Democrat is so fat, three boxes of military ballots got lost under her armpit"......
it's seattle remember? they got lost in the H-A-I-R under that fat armpit. heh heh heh
Can we put physical fitness back into the schools? Getting children to excercise earlier will help them keep that routine later in life. Being physically fit is one of the best things our schools can give to our children...along with the ability to read, write and do arithmetic.
As for the article...just more BS...but that's what we get for "news" these days. I believe our new Union goverment says that is what we must have.
30. yah Dengle, I got an email from Gov. Chrissy's office and they told me that it was good for state government to have employee unions. They actually told me that state government functioned better with them!
31. Hey Misty: Why don't you explain to us all why it is not better for the state to have employee unions. While you're at it, tell us how your comment has any connection to physical fitness.
32. Unk: Was responding to Dengle just above. check it out. Witz, maybe you could explain to the state employees who felt forced to join the union to save their jobs why they are better off now that they take home $2 dollars LESS after union dues taken out (even after the so-called raise). They're not feeling so flush with money at this time. I don't blame them. Especially when studies are showing that a huge majority of members feel disrespected by the union and harrassed by them. This is supposed to be a GOOD thing?
33. It's funny how the lib "think tanks" (oxymoron if ever there was one) want to sue McDonalds and if that fails, tax the snot out of them for fat content. Another want Tony the Tiger removed from child time TV. I've been putting together what has happened over the years and think the county planners and such should be sued along with a couple others.
The size of our yards these days has been reduced to nothing to play in for kids. Growing up, my back yard was big enough to play whiffle ball in and not chase it over the fence every time. And for that matter, we didn't have a fence. Four lots joined together with mutual respect! Imagine that! Anyways, we could play in our own yard, and if we wanted to play real ball, went to the school yard where our parents knew where we were until dark. Todays kids don't have room to play in their own yards as the size has been reduced to barely enough room to put a bonzai tree in. If a kid needs to go to the park, they have to be under a watchful eye as that park is a magnet for parolees with trench-coats. The aid-and-abeting culprit for obesity these days though is Nintendo/Xbox/Sony. Since kids have nowhere to go and run like they used to, it's to the front of the TV to sit for hours on end and develop those fingers!
So perhaps if Redley's lawyers (Redley owns several McD's around here) were to counter-sue when the time comes, and lump city planners and video game makers into the fold, it would make one powerful statement would it not? (I had to mis-spell abeting as it wouldn't let me post such a naughty word as "be%%ing")
34. I WENT ON A DIET FOR TWO WEEKS...ALL I LOST WAS 14 DAYS!!!
35. Well now, as one who grew up in a Bronx apartment myself, I can't help but wonder what workout my remaining urban betters get in their dense (matching their minds) environments. I think about this a lot when I'm mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, gardening, removing overgrown vegetation, painting, patching, etc. etc. and doing all the strenuous homeowner things they sneer at but secretly envy.
36. Btw, the red arrow pointing to Ron's gut is too funny!
37. Sims may want to lose weight where it will count for more info look at red arrow in picture!! Me has a good point!!