October 09, 2005
Skilful Mike Speaks
The other day, before a meeting in downtown Seattle, I found myself in Westlake Plaza, where many transient folk, including one Skilful Mike, hang out. He was seeking exactly $960 for a vasectomy, and told me he was just $896 dollars short of his goal. You've fathered a few too many kids, I asked? No, just don't want to reproduce, Mike replied.
It'd be easy to crack that at least he was on the mark there, but in fact, Mike struck me as pretty together (his incorrect spelling of vasectomy aside). Ever the policy geek, and thinking of King County's and the City of Seattle's concerns with "solving" the homeless problem, I asked Mike what should be the government's role there, hoping we're not headed for an Arcata-like paradigm. He replied in a very straightforward manner, that roughly three-quarters of the homeless suffer from chronic drug or alcohol problems, and that while increased public funding helps, still, in the end, it's really up to the homeless themselves to get it together.
Responding to my further nosy inquiries, Mike said he'd been deported from Winnipeg just the other day, and deposited by Canadian authorities on the border at Blaine, WA, whereupon he said he'd hied it to Seattle. (?) At any rate, Mike was exceedingly sober and clear, and said he did flooring work. He's currently sleeping on the streets. About his vasectomy sign, the deal is that he just doesn't want to get any women pregnant, and ah, (I asked, so you didn't have to) latex isn't his thang.
Now personally, I can't imagine he'd fail to spend the money he gets panhandling with his vasectomy sign, on plain 'ol survival instead. But.... it's a great pitch for progressive, sylvan Seattle, isn't it? Anyway - if you'd like to hire him; help prevent him from breeding; or just plain communicate, his e-mail is Skilfulmike269u@yahoo.com.
Posted by Matt Rosenberg at October 09, 2005
10:17 PM | Email This
It's obvious that Mike was just a "migrant worker" how dare Canada brutally deport him like that, imagine a government with the nerve to expel an illegal immigrant.
Who ever will they get to work in the restaurants and farms of Manitoba?
I wish Mike the best, hope something happens for him soon, before it gets much colder.
Canada tossed him? Nothing to offer Canada? No problem. We take all comers. Have to admit, the angle is a new one--creative.
Maybe his better goal (rather than not wanting to get someone pregnant) would be not to perform the same act the vascectomy addresses on us taxpayers here in SEA. I too hope he seeks help and decides to change his path & make better choices. Begging serves no one--no matter how clever.
4. I read that UW is having some problems with its human genetics subjects.Some sort of football team experiments.A good place for free medical services for Mike?
5. Hire him for KCE manager, at least he is honest.
6. If Mike is serious about getting it together, he should use the money he's saved for a vasectomy and buy some shaving stuff, get himself cleaned up at some of the KC public facilities for homeless, get over to Labor Ready and declare himself ready to put in some floors! Labor Ready or their clients usually provide transportation to work sites and back, so that shouldn't be a problem. And some of the temporary stints lead to full time work. I just don't see him doing that, though, because he looks like he's enjoying his sign and predicament too much!
7. How does he have an E-Mail address? does he have his laptop in is backpack? Also I get a kick out of his suggestive E-Mail address "269u".
8. Cost seems a little high for an office vist proceedure, anybody know the going rate?
If you are going to make fun of his misspelling, at least get his misspelling right.
He wrote "vascectomy", not "vascetomy".
10. Good name for this fella!The sad truth is many people know how easy the city of Seattle is on the homeless so why not come here?! That needs to change!
11. So the deported homeless man from Canada knows that a great many of the homeless population have substance abuse issues? He must also know that Seattle is the "hand-out/not/hand-up" city. With programs run by SHARE/WHEEL, like Tent City3/4 the homeless population with substance abuse issues will never get the help they need, because they are simply given tents and nothing else. No transitional services. No drug/alcohol counseling. No personal responsibility. Why? Because tax-payer funded programs like SHARE/WHEEL and Tent City use the homeless like pawns in a chess game. They want to further their own political agenda and do nothing to help those they proclaim to serve. Until we stop blindly handing out money without asking those that receive it for accountability, we will continue to be a magnet for those that want nothing more than a free ride. This guy included. With the current boom in new construction, there is a huge demand for experienced tile workers. This guy could get a job. Perhaps he could be connected with legitimate homeless programs like Union Gospel Mission or Congregations for the Homeless, both of which could help link him up with employment opportunities as well as a place to stay. But alas, they require something of those they serve! Wake up Seattle. If the handouts don't stop, we'll continue to draw people from all over the country who want nothing more than a free ride.
12. Check out www.farestart.org -- a great place for the homeless to transform their lives with meaning.
13. I'll second that...he should go to Farestart.
14. OK--we approve the "v-job." One condition: in place of working (i.e.: "putting his NOSE to the grindstone") we put his intended surgery part "to the grindstone." In the alternative, he goes to a local charitable mission & gets help and delays this ELECTIVE surgery for MANDATORY work or training, while learning a litle humility.
15. He needs to get on a bus to New Orleans. He'll be a rich man a year from now.
16. Somebody blabbed about actually how nice the weather is here during the spring and summer thus attracting all these folks from down in California and elsewhere.
Now if we could figure out a way to have the weather get down to 20 below for long stretches of time like in Montana or Wyoming, I have a hunch most of the homeless problems would pick up stakes and move back to warmer climes.
17. Seen in the Overlake Sears parking lot last week: a bumpersticker that reads "Frustrate a liberal: Work Hard and Be Happy"
18. If he would simply have his testicles removed, it not only would solve his current problem, it would make him an excellent republican candidate for our legislature.
19. Huey, how could you say that?? I mean how could you say that only once!
20. Mine cost $40 at planned parenthood
21. why dosen't he go to an animal shelter? snip and a flea dip all for one price; AND--he can volunteer and make himself useful for a day or two;
Mike's picture and info should be posted over at the Horses Ass where he can commune with his progressive brethren.
I guess it must be a slow news day.
23. This is one of the funniest posts I've seen in a long time.
Teach him to spell "celibate".
25. So the proceedure can be done for under $100 and Mike is asking for over $900....the ideal government employee. Quick, somebody hire that man!
26. Put him in charge of Share/Wheel!!
27. Thanks "Mike" for volunteering as an icon for the left.
That is a great thing about where I live now. No beggars. And the town publishes tax deliquints in the local paper. The media (both broadcast and print) do real police beat reporting - in detail including accidents.
Here is something else - Photocopies are 3 cents here - they were ten in Puyallup. The reason: The high minimum wage in WA.
Paver sand Here 1.00 a bag. Puyallup 5.00
Theater movies here 4.00 Puyallup 9.00
Eating out here (they have better restaurants here) A excellant meal $75. Puyallup comparable meal $100
Sewer taxes here are 1/3 of Pierce County.
The internet has made small town America liveable again.
I hear there is still a moving van shortage in Cascadia. Our u-haul dealer on this end is piling them up. All inbound traffic. The truck we drove just went out last week. We got here in August - it was the best truck on his lot.
29. We need further injury as rational taxpayers. PI needs a 10-week story spread. Skilful Mike Meets Skilful Dyke. Only in SEA. Get-cha papers heeya! Get-cha papers heeya!
30. Please refer Mike to http:\www.bumvertising.com I think he would make a wonderful RON SIMS sign holder and earn a few bucks!
31. Hey, Howard Dean---here's a new spokesman for the DNC!
32. Jericho, where is 'here'?
33. he needs a good swift kick in the '$960' area...
34. There once was a man named Mike;
Who wanted a snip near his pike;
He panned for 960;
Seattle chumps are not thrifty;
So they paid for his blank-shooting shrike;