September 07, 2005
Dean Logan to King County GOP: Drop Dead
As has been discussed previously on this blog, in my column last week for The Stranger and by King County Councilwoman Jane Hague at a recent Council meeting: Dean Logan has ended a long-standing Elections office policy to hire both Republican and Democrat party designees to help fill vacant poll worker assignements to ensure a fair and lawful bipartisan balance at the polls.
In a letter to King County GOP Chairman Michael Young, Dean Logan admits that, yes, he has deliberately ended this practice and refused to hire Republican designees to fill poll worker assignments. His excuse was particularly lame:
we filled the recuritment positions based on demonstrated skill [using the new election management computer system] and background without regard for party affiliation
he goes on to give the lame assurance that:
All poll workers are asked to designate a party affiliation and every attempt is made to staff all polling places with judges representing each of the two major political parties
Poll workers who designate their own "party affiliation" can and have abused this. I've heard reports of self-reported "Republicans" who turn out to be active Democrats. A party representative would be both better equipped and more motivated to ensure a genuine balance at the polls. If Dean Logan (=Ron Sims) were genuinely interested in both the perception and reality of a fair and bi-partisan election operation, they would simply give the Republican designees training on the new software system, which really can't be all that hard to use.
Instead, it's plain that Ron Sims is insistent on purging anybody from the Elections office who might disagree with him so he can turn the Elections office into a personal asset to boost his own sagging re-election chances.
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at September 07, 2005
12:20 PM | Email This
1. Yowza. Can he really do that? Doesn't his party realize that they're not going to be in power forever, and turnabout is fair play?
It Seems That Judge Bridges' Ruling Backfired...
...instead of KC Elections accepting his criticism and admonition to do better, they have taken his refusal to order specific corrective actions as carte blanche to commit whatever abuses they desire.
Vote early and often, to ensure the election of Irons. Then the problems can be fixed by someone who is actually interested in having a system with integrity, instead of continued corruption.
3. The problem is not with the judges. The problem is with poll supervisors. Only Democrats are allowed to be poll supervisors. This has been a policy for the 5 years I have been a poll worker judge.
No, they really don't think that. They are desperate to retain their power and will do anything to try and prevent losing control.
It is really fun watching Ron Sims and Carolyn Edmonds self destruct.
Hopefully the voters are fed up enough that they will change the power structure and King County by electing David Irons and Steven Pyeatt.
5. As I've said before...Dems in a landslide.
Yup! Danno is right.
Can anybody say "Blanco!"
I'm sure the software is not all that hard to use ... for Republicans.
Democrats on the other hand, need lots of special training on the software, wink wink, to achieve the desired results.
8. As I have been a (real) Republican poll worker (judge and then inspector), I can attest they are desperate for more people, and if you have a car and are willing you can be an Inspector. (Inspector has to pick up materials Sat. before election, and bring back materials to KC Elections that night after polls close.) They'll train you up quick! Warning, it's a long day of work (6 a.m-9-p.m. since you set up and pack up).
The pertaining RCW section 4 of 29A.44.410
Appointment of judges and inspector.
(4) The county auditor shall designate the inspector and one judge in each precinct from that political party which polled the highest number of votes in the county for its candidate for president at the last preceding presidential election and one judge from that political party polling the next highest number of votes in the county for its candidate for president at the same election. The provisions of this subsection apply only if the number of names on the official nomination list for inspectors and judges of election for a political party is sufficient to satisfy the requirements imposed by this subsection.
Vacancies -- How filled -- Inspector's authority.
If no election officers have been appointed for a precinct, or if at the hour for opening the polls none of those appointed is present at the polling place therein, the voters present may appoint the election board for that precinct. One of the judges may perform the duties of clerk of election. The inspector shall have the power to fill any vacancy that may occur in the board of judges, or by absence or refusal to serve of either of the clerks after the polls shall have been opened.
If the RCW posted above (RCW 29A.44.410 - by Jim L) is current - then Logan is once again - not in compliance with State election laws.
This should be in the media!.....The Republican voters of King County deserve to know that they are purposely NOT being represented at the polling places because of Dean Logan's illegal party discrimination!!
One of the two candidates that the republicans presented to King County Elections to be a poll worker coordinator HAS been trained on the new elections computer system! And BOTH of the candidates that were presented had also worked in that position for several years in the past!
It is interesting that both of the candidates presented by the republicans that were turned down have experience in that department but in addition have close ties to Rob Mckenna!
His excuses are completely BOGUS.
Stefan's point that the system "can't be all that hard to use" is true. The New Election System software is very user friendly, especially the limited permissions for the poll worker coordinator section. They train you for a week but it only really takes a few days to learn it, and about 5 days to master different search techniques.
well, well, well.......dear Judge Bridges, we can't heal ourselves......we can't correct anything because the same lame and criminal processes that we wanted YOU to help change, are strangling us even more......thanks , fella....you'll be remembered.....
Now if only the PUBS would use this in a hard hitting campaign across the state...in every single election....Seattle Slimes will stay Democrat, but the rest of the state would be Pub....
EXCELLENT POINT. From an outside view it appears that the "culture" that the Judge spoke about has actually gotten worse not better. With the scapegoat firing of Nicole Way to the Republicans being left out in the cold in the poll workers section.
My question to Mr. Logan is how are you supposed to try to balance poll site boards when all 5 people that are doing the hiring and recruiting of poll workers are democrats?
I am not saying that the employees that are in that section will go out of their way to not hire republicans. In fact the people I know in that section are very fair and honest. HOWEVER, they do recruit from their sources. Their sources being the democrats current and past poll worker lists. I just hope without any representation that Republican poll workers from the past will be called when looking to fill and balance boards. And in addition that Republicans calling to be poll workers will be asked if they have the ability to travel to poll sites that are democrat heavy.
Yeap - you nailed it Shark. Sims is gonna find all sorts of votes for himself and loose thousands for the other guy.
We all see it coming and there simply is nothing we appear to be able to do about it. Judge Bridges had it wrong - we can't just vote people out of office when they run a banana republic.
16. BananaLand, you are correct about the futility of our vote in King County. The Left is at war with the Right, but the Right isn't fighting properly. You can't fight a war voting in elections that are rigged against you by your enemy, so let's stop talking about elections. Like any other banana republic, freedom will only come out of the barrel of a gun. Our founding fathers learned that lesson well: Self-defense transcends all laws.
17. Ronnies lap dog strikes again!!
18. Maybe we all should put Bill Clinton Stamps on our absentees, they would probably all be counted then
19. Maybe we all should put Bill Clinton Stamps on our absentees, they would probably all be counted then
Have you seen the letter from Mike Young that generated the response fron deano?
21. is this legal? it appears the self-declared party designation is merely a pre-text for screening poll workers. one day these 2 parties will merge and a new party will emerge, i hope.
22. Stalin 101: Doesn't matter who votes; it only matters who counts. This is probably etched into Deans eyelids. Long live the King, Long live Sims. The recent New Orleans occurances only serve to guide our future expectations and provide a road map for successful corruption at any costs.
23. Wny is this a**hole still around? How the hell can this be after all the Governor's election mess? Someone needs to impeach him. He should be limited to flipping burgers somewhere. There has to be some legal avenues to pursue to oust such a fine example of a piece of human garbage. Thanks.