May 25, 2005
Mail ballot supervisor Nicole Way is now on the witness stand.
It just occurred to me that the two slackers who created the fraudulent Mail Ballot Report are named Way and Garth. Once we get headshots of Nicole Way and Garth Fell, I think we should have some fun with Photoshop!
Way: "we didn't know how many ballots were returned ... so we didn't know how many ballots we were supposed to tabulate"
Also said she raised concerns to Bill Huennekens about DIMS' inability to account for ballots issued and returned since June 2004.
Discussing the fraudulent Mail Ballot Report
Korrell: "How did you calculate line number 2?"
Way: "We took line number 4 and added it to line number 3"
[To answer questions raised in the comments, Way stated in her deposition that she has been working for King County Elections the entire time since graduating from high school]
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at May 25, 2005
09:18 AM | Email This
1. now that's just poor home training
2. Nicole Way looks like she is about to break down on the stand.
3. i think she's gonna cry :(
4. On it!
5. When will we have numbers that add up and are accurate, Way? When monkeys fly out of my butt, Garth!
6. NO WAY!!!!
7. On one hand, she acts like she has an ear bud with somebody prompting her on answers. She has poignant pauses after each questions. Perhaps she was instructed to wait for Jenny to object before each answer. On the other hand, she looks like "dead man walking". Either way, she is a train wreck.
8. Does she have some great set of credentials? High school, or UW Atmos science like her bosses?
9. I think Ms Way took a little too much medication this morning (or last night). She probably hasn't been getting enough sleep lately.
10. She looks "ethnic". Doesn't that count for something as KC?
11. Talk about a dim bulb... if Nicole Way gets any more non responsive she'll be asleep. In a county the size of KC, how do we get so many incompetent people working there?
12. I can't use MS media player (cuz of Linux); and the Real streams from TVW are horrible. Has anyone found an alternative server for Real (or MP3 or something)?
mplayer will stream .wmv just fine.
(Where's the stream?)
14. I'd be interested in knowing what Way's resume looks like. My guess is that she was a Women Studies graduate.
Is streaming audio without a problem, btw. (On Solaris, no less. :) )
That was a great comment by the Judge:
"Ms. Way, you can step down, but don't run off"
... I guess he thinks she has something to run from! That is a good sign!
What is with the veeeerrryyyy long pauses between the question and the answer? I have only audio and it comes across very strange. How does it look on video? Is she getting nonverbal coaching from the Dem lawyers? Is she waiting for objections before she reluctantly answers? Is there an earpiece in her ear?
Or was she instructed to burn up the Republicans time?
18. I don't think you would be getting any sleep if your bosses and their lawyers are telling you that the entire election contest hinges on your testimony and/or you get to be the fall gal.
It will be interesting to see what change she has in the cross. If it's a dramatic change like Billy Boy, it's just going to cement the view some hold that King County is so completely partisan that outside candidates are not able to find any element of fairness and integrity in the organization.
I feel for her a bit though. She knows that people are aware the she blew the whistle, and I am sure that she is worried about her job, and that everyone may be against her. She is deliberately short in her answers, but seems attuned to saying what the questioner wants to hear. Sadly, she's looking for friends and assurances from someone here.
Out of her element.
According to her disposition, Nicole Way has no college credits, she took the job at KC Elections right after High School.
Watching her on the stand I got the impression that she was about to either cry, or throw up. Either way it doesn't look pleasant. I still find it hard to believe that Way, and Huennekens are the best we can find to run our elections. I'd have a hard time trusting this bunch with my lunch at Burger King, nevermind our most important demoractic institution. The littany of "I'm not sure" and "I can't remember" is really causing my blood to boil. It would seem the only thing they are sure of is that they will continue to have a taxpayer supplied paycheck at the end of the month.
21. "Ms. Way, you can step down, but don't run off"
Along the same lines Judge Bridges told Bill H. (spelling?) yesterday the he was excused but not to take any exhibits with him when he left, or "you will have to come back."
22. what was name of Clinton's secretary that covered for him when she went on the stand?
Well at least H.S. grads know where to get a high paying jobs. King County. Both Logan and Ways have just a high school education. Logan is making over $100,000 a year.
Way does look like she's ready to break down. Who knows what she's carrying around inside. I hope we find out. It's the only way this election mess is going to get fixed.
24. "what was name of Clinton's secretary that covered for him when she went on the stand?"
That would be Betty Currie. She testified that Clinton was never "alone" with Monica because she (Betty) was in the next room and the door wasn't "completely" shut.
25. I think the Rossi petitioner attorney should be tougher on Ms. Way. She shouldn't be allowed to get away with so many non-responsive answers. For instance, when asked who's idea it was to just add the numbers from lines 3 and 4 (rejected plus counted) on the reconcilliation sheet to get the number for line 2 (received), she couldn't, or wouldn't answer if it was her idea or Garth Fell's (to falsify the report). I guess she didn't want to inciminate herself... but I think the Rossi attorney should have pressed for a more definitive answer.
Ms Way just state that she was not aware of the 96th uncounted ballot (she still thought it was 95).
Not aware indeed.
Uhmm. I'm starting to get the picture now. I agree with Tucker though -- should the attorney be pressing more?
Was Way the first one that blew the whistle on how they arrived at their absentee ballot returned number?
Was that during her deposition?
She clearly has been instructed to give one word, carefully thought out, slow answers - to offer absolutely no more information than necessary.
When she blatantly changes her demeanor and length of her answers for the Dem lawyer, it will be glaringly obvious.
30. She has been put on administrative leave, though, so I don't see why she would be loyal to the fraud club in KC elections.
31. Wasn't it PAID administrative leave though??? I wouldn't mind some paid administrative leave if I knew I wouldn't lose my job if I cooperated with those in charge...pathetic. If she had any conscious she would just spill her guts...I have a feeling she's holding back.
Ummm... that's administrative leave with pay.
She stands to lose the pay part if she screws this up, and she knows it.
Yep, run the fine line and get paid your full salary and not have to work for it, or screw up and be without an income.
Would you be tied to the 'organization' in that situation?
33. Jennifer Durkan looks pretty butch. She must be a Vagina Warrior.
34. WOW .... someone give her a dose of caffene??? She is much more sure of herself now.
"If she had any conscious she would just spill her guts"
The problem is that she appears to be unconscious!
Judge just said: "If all evidence had to be 100%, we would have not evidence in this case"
Well, he's got that right!
So far 4 yrs of college between the 3 top elections people we've heard about.
Wonder if any took Math in high school?
Righton, let's be fair here. Many people are quite successful, competent, and able without college. Despite the fact that the people on the stand aren't good examples, we should recognize that college isn't necessarily a determining factor in life.
Ron Sims, McDermott, CG, Sam Reed, all college graduates and not much better.
I like some of the new camera angles they set up today though.
(Wenatchee) In a stunning rebuke of the Republican's bid to unseat the legitimately elected governor of the people, Christine Gregoire, Judge Bridges of Chelan County pointedly addressed the lawyers and sharply corrected the exhibit numbers being used by the Republicans.
Courtroom observers agreed that this latest shocking defeat for the Republicans will add to the pressure to withdraw their case and admit defeat.
The right wing, neo nazi, Christian conservative dominated lawyers for Dino Rossi looked confused and in disarray as they attempted to sort out their exhibits in response to Judge Bridge's harsh admonishment.
In other developments, the Republicans questioned a loyal and honorable servant of the people and tried to trip her up with mathmatics.
40. PP, that's a good effort, but please try to use "fundamentalist" next time.
You forgot that the reactionary GOP lawyers are under the spell of Karl Rove, and that it's all Bushes fault.
42. The Wayne's World tie-in , love it! Can't wait to see the photoshops on that one