February 10, 2005
Gregoire and talk radio
I got a callback from a spokeswoman for Mrs. Gregoire, in response to my questions about the death threat against Gregoire and her implication that talk radio was somehow responsible. To recap my questions, which I emailed to the spokeswoman on Tuesday:
Could you clarify Mrs. Gregoire's statement regarding talk radio and send me her exact words from the transcript? Can you also find out what specific talk radio program she had in mind when she made this statement and what specific comments she was referring to? Is there any indication that the one person confirmed by the WSP as making a death threat had been inspired by a talk radio program? Are there any other specific indications of emerging threats to Mrs. Gregoire's safety from talk radio listeners?
Finally, why was an announcement regarding death threats made on February 3 when, according to reports, the only confirmed threat was made more than two weeks earlier, on January 19?
The main points:
* they know of only one death threat, the one made on Jan. 19 by a psychiatric patient.
* they did not make a recording or transcript of the Q&A period from the press conference, so they can't reproduce Gregoire's exact words, but it was to the effect that Gregoire "understands that a lot of anger has been expressed about the election on talk radio programs, based on what she's been told".
* Gregoire did not have any specific talk radio program in mind when she made her comment.
* Gregoire was instructed by the chief of the Washington State Patrol to stop publishing her schedule because of the death threat.
* It was Gregoire who decided on a six month period for withholding her schedule.
[Why six months as opposed to some other time period, I asked. The spokeswoman didn't know]
* The death threat/talk radio item wasn't scheduled to be announced on Feb. 3, it came out as the answer when a reporter at the press conference specifically asked about Gregoire's schedule.
Although the spokeswoman had my written questions in advance of our conversation and time to research the answers, she did not have answers to my other questions and did not offer any other information to tie talk radio programs and their listeners to the one identified threat or to any other threats of violence against Mrs. Gregoire.
Conclusion: The Gregoire people have presented absolutely no information to show that talk radio is in any way connected to death threats against the former Attorney General. It's about as pathetic of a political stunt that there is for her to insinuate such a connection.
I've also left word for a WSP spokesperson to call me. There are some more open questions that Mrs. Gregoire's spokeswoman punted over to the WSP.
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at February 10, 2005
07:23 PM | Email This
1. Part of that "vast right wing conspiracy" I suppose.
2. A half-vast right-wing conspiracy, Mr. C.
Are we surprised that Chris really tried to shut talk radio up? Remember that she likes to do "the Clinton thing."
She talked about governing from the center, and doing the peoples work. Now she is bashing talk radio about insighting violence, like Bill did post Oklahoma bombing.
Next thing you know she will mobilized the Washington National Guard and bomb empty tents and an aspirin factory in Omak to distract media attention from some bad press.
4. Half-vast? Indeed. Nicely put! :-)
Is there an Asprin Factory in Omak???
If there is, she can at least say she was doing "the People" a favor, you know that aspirin isn't good for "the Children", Use Tylenol, it is safer....
" ... (B)omb empty tents and an aspirin factory in Omak to distract media attention from some bad press ..." ... or do something disgraceful with that pizza person (thong? blue dress?) who delivered the sausage combo.
Believe the blog wars have been referenced below, but check orbusmax.com in case you missed this from the south end of a counterfeit Horsey: "I read it, and found it fairly straightforward, if longwinded. (The report that is, not Huck FinnÖ which in truth, I donít remember all that well, except for something to do with whitewash.)"
If memory serves, the whitewash wasn't in Huck, but in Tom, & most certainly in Sims & Logan.
7. Whitewash, the Sequel: Others, notably Jeff B, have deconstructed the snarky blue-helmet blog wars that are being fought against soundpolitics by someone or something called horsesass, which also appears to be the nick of a porn site.
Only slightly off-topic...
Good article in gatewaypundit.blogspot.com
, Feb 10, linked by Powerline, about perjury conviction stemming from St. Louis vote fraud trial. The article points out that St. Louis has not had a Republican mayor since 1949. The article also states:
The charges stem from about 1,500 fraudulent voter registration cards that were turned in to the St. Louis Board of Elections on Feb. 7, 2001, the deadline for registering for the mayoral primary.
In linking to the Gateway Pundit article, Powerline notes that:
Voter fraud continues to be the great unacknowledged issue of our time, but it is heartening to see criminal prosecutions unfolding in at least a few locations around the country.
I doubt Stefan will be getting any good answers to his questions from Gregoire or the WSP.
There are no good answers, the death threat was a cheap political stunt.
No admission or even mention of the "threat" at all on the liberal blog. Selective coverage. No wonder, he's got the MSM as his journalistic role model.
Speaking of media. I got a letter that was from the Revote asking for a donation. Are they planning another media blitz?
If it truly makes a difference, I'm happy to donate, but will anything in the media actually have an impact at this point? It seems the courts need to work it through before any next steps in the media space.
besides- I need to save up as much 'donation' money as I can for the 2006 midterms :-)
I think it was probably correct that GreGore didn't plan ahead of time to make that remark.
That makes it worse. For her anyway. We had a chance to see into her psyche. All of the anger at her stealing the governor's office is getting to her.
We can't let up!
12. On a side note :
Omak ...Located in the State's largest County Okanogan which at last count had only two stoplights... One stoplight on Hwy 97 is right across the street from the State's first Walmart store which is the closest thing to an aspirin factory around...
Just some trivial garbage I had to share after reading Bob's post :)
13. These answers are on a par with Sims' and Logan's representations during their press conference. They must really believe nobody is paying attention.
14. * Gregoire was instructed by the chief of the Washington State Patrol to stop publishing her schedule because of the death threat.
Since you are calling the WSP, why don't you ask them why Rossi is still getting protection when he is not an elected official and no threats have been made against him whatsoever.
15. It's been rumored she loves herself and expects everyone around her to love her as well or she'll fire you.
wonder what Mckenna is hearing over at the AGO from the paralegals & attorney's etc.
He probably gets applause every morning.
16. OT: I ventured over to Horsesass.org for the first time tonight. I don't think any blog was ever more aptly named.
17. Dear WASH State Republicans, No check from me until the FBI is called in to make Democrat voter fraud arrests. They are criminals. They break the law. They must be arrested. The Feds, when asked, must respond. Only then will I open the checkbook. Let's up the stakes!! These Dems should be looking at jail time and fines.
You call WSP and ask them why they recommended that Rossi NOT be without protection? While you're at it, ask CG (since she has the authority) why she doesn't cancel Rossi's protection?
go to the washington state legislative site. go to the tv washington-left side-click. this gets you into the archives.
go to the web features-click on archived.
go to right side-click on press conferences 2005
then go to feb. 3, 2005 "Gov. gregoire press conference".
fast forward to about the 33:40 min. spot. she starts talking about all of this then. I watched it twice this week on TVW-pathetic i am.
she specifically states "Chief Porter told her to stop publishing her whereabouts during outside appearances at the request of the state patrol for the next 6 months."
She felt the level of discussion of talk show radios are beleived to be the concerning only those...... "she really doesnt make sense to what she says other than she wont deny she's had one real death threat but has had several as attny general. no bigee.
check it out..maybe you can make sense out of what she says.
20. I really do not want a Governor who is self- isolated -- I do not see the threat. Even Gary Locke didn't hide his schedule when terrorists were supposedly targeting Seattle a couple of years ago. Doesn't make sense.
21. When Gregoire speaks...stupid things are said.
22. I almost feel sorry for our temporary Govenor...ok, I confess, I don't! But I think she WANTS people to feel sorry for her, that's her way of "uniting the citizens of WA. state"...weird, it's not working.
23. I think the threat from talk radio is not for Ms. Gregoire's personal safety. However, it does pose a serious threat for the death of her political career.