December 08, 2004
Outgoing Gov. Gary Locke today announced his strategy to end global warming. With any luck we can reverse natural climate fluctuations, revert to the last Ice Age and bring the Mastodon back to Sequim.
In any event, global warming should subside somewhat in January with the removal from Olympia of a significant source of hot air.
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at December 08, 2004
01:03 PM | Email This
1. Golly, gosh, gee whiz! Gary and the dems sure have some selective hearing.
Can you hear US... as in we the citizen/taxpayers of Washington... can you hear US now?
It's time to CONCEDE!
Concede before the legally allowed recounts are over? Let's face it, if Repubs were on the other side, they would be making even bigger recount noises as the Dems are now making. As long as the law allows for a manual recount, why should Gregoire concede? The candidates spent lots of time, effort, and money to run their campaigns. It is their right to ensure the count is accurate.
42 votes out of a couple of million is too small a difference. It is better to go through the process allowed by law than to squelch it for political expediency. If Gregoire or Rossi(whoever loses in the manual recount) don't concede after the manual recount, that would be the time to call upon them to concede. Not a moment sooner.
3. I only grow plants for a living, but it seems to me that agriculture would be helped by the excess amounts of CO2 in the air. Mainly because plants consume CO2 in the same way humans consume oxygen. Would this not make the plants grow bigger, better, and faster? This is why most plant growers pump CO2 into their facilities. Also, Global Warming temperatures cause increases mostly at night, and warmer night temps will extend the growing season. Global Warming might cause problems, but the agricluture industry will have to try hard to find any.
4. Locke forgot to propose capping Mt. St. Helens, the largest polluter in WA state by a factor of XXXX. In fact, didn't I read that this mountain produces more pollution than all industry. I suggest that he go up there and cap it himself.
Your ilk sure like to spout off about how "Repubs ...would be making even bigger recount noises as the Dems are now making". But you and your ilk have never provided one shred of evidence nor historical precendent for this assertion.
I ask again - What makes you think this? It has been pointed out many times that there are numerous instances (Nixon 1960, Ford 1976, even George W Bush in IA, NM, PA, OR, HI this year compared to Kerry in OH) of Republicans NOT asking for a recount.
I think you are full of it. What say you?
"Let's face it, if Repubs were on the other side, they would be making even bigger recount noises as the Dems are now making"
Actually, bt, if my memory serves, Republicans DON'T make bigger recount noises. Examples:
Missouri 2000: a close, extremely questionable vote resulted in a Dem US Senator, the Repubs did nothing.
So Dakota 2002: Tim Johnson, Republican, lost a US Senate race when many ballots from an Indian reservation showed up unexpectedly.
Illinois 1962: Suspected election fraud in Chicago several decades ago threw an election to J. F. Kennedy. Nixon was the loser and he didn't challenge the vote because he thought a challenge would be bad for the U.S.
Washington 2002(?): US Democrat Senator Maria Cantrell won in a squeaker - no Repub whining for multiple recounts that I remember.
There are other examples - I just can't think of any more right now.
For those old enough to remember the 1970s, you will remember that they told us then that we were heading for the next Ice Age.
It struck me as ludicrous then and does now with "Global Warming" that we would be worrying about climate changes over almost instantaneously short time periods when viewied on the scale of worldwide geologic change over millions of years.
And yes, volcanos, meteor impacts and other orders of magnitude larger events always have the upper hand in determining the true direction of these climactic vectors.
"Global Warming" and other man made hysteria are much more about esablishing a political scapegoat for the bureaucratic institutions and their sucklings to beat, fret and feed upon.
"So Dakota 2002: Tim Johnson, Republican, lost a US Senate race when many ballots from an Indian reservation showed up unexpectedly."
Actually it was Johnson the Demoncrat who defeated John Thune with the aid of some mystery reservation votes. Thank God he did, for Thune got to boot Tom Dashle (pronounced without the D by most South Dakotans these days) this year.
A climate change in Washington government would be a breath of fresh air.
Remember when Locke used to be the King County Executive (the automatice heir to governorship)?
We, the citizens voted down SafeCo Field. But, Gov. Locke new better and went ahead and built it using our taxes. Granted, it is a nice facility but I still argue with my friend about it being built. The reason I have a problem is because King County government went against the will of the public. Even after putting it to the vote.
What was even more galling was that we elected Locke to be governor. You see, our liberal government already knows that what the public votes for is not what they really want or need. Voting Locke in as governor validated that arrogance. The D's know that we really wanted Gregoire and the polls confirmed it. The actual vote of the public doesn't really matter in their minds. It never really has.
I'm still hoping for a change of climate in Olympia.
Caution: This comment contains concentrated sarcasm, which may cause children to pass out, and strong adults to weep.
Now, now bt, I know your common-good Soci*list school system teaches our darling mush brain babies that there is no right or wrong, there is no A or F and there are no winners or losers ("We ARE all winners today!!" :-)..."Yes, my Soci*list Teacher!"), but in the REAL world... - OMG hang on to your hat, babe! - ...there ARE winners and losers! Both teams don't win the soccer game... only one Olympic Gold medal per event... only one Best Picture of the Year...and Missy Chrissy LOST two legal counts. Time to give up the ghost.
Note: yes, yes, I know... but the site filter necessitated some 'spelling' creativity (go ahead, YOU give it a try)... then again, since there is NO right or wrong, what does it matter?
11. Rossi lead has widened to 45 as the first manual recount results are in:
You are exactly right. Elevated CO2 does help plants. A recent study (Hamilton, 2004) showed that elevated CO2 levels stimulate the productivity of plants.
Also, elevated CO2 has NOT been shown to coincide with earlier periods of warming. There is pathetically little proof that the current (minor) warming trend has anything to do with either CO2 or human development.
But don't let the facts bother you. Just believe that Gary and friends have your best interests at heart when they (1) pay more for vehicles, (2) force us to pay more for vehicles, and (3) generate more traffic congestion in the forlorn hope to force people out of their cars (but not out of our state).
The recount is on - are you guys monitoring it? Rossi now leads by 45.
SShhhh! Locke, Gregoire and Co. might devise a plan to tax all residents that can view Mt.St. Helens from their property (well, on a clear day) for the cleanup of our air, now polluted from the irresponsible management of their view rights...
15. If locke really wanted to put a dent in global warming he'd try getting us more nuclear power plants. electric cars don't do crap for the carbon problem if they get electricity from coal/oil/natural gas power plants. Hydroelectric is pretty much tapped out, wind is minimally useful, solar isn't feasible yet. the only viable non carbon emitting source of electrical power is nuclear plants.
the half assed measures locke proposes are nothing but feel good crap
16. Global warming??? THIS is the priority??? Hey Gary---why don't you just develop a plan to make public school useable again instead of the hellholes that they are now??? Now THAT would be productive
CO2 is beneficial to plants as already noted. This is called carbon sequestration. There have been efforts by ag groups to get carbon sequestration credits in the farm bill. Might even be there now but I've been out of the game for a couple of years. Interestingly enough, for those who think the old growth forests would be great sequestors of carbon, well, Mama's wrong again. 10 to 25 year old stands of trees are the best for sucking the stuff out of the air and holding on to it. Ergo, let's save the planet by logging off the old growth and planting tight knit stands of evergreens to clean the air.
By the way, when it comes to global warming, my wife says if we can raise the temperature 2 degrees, she votes we do it.
18. Sorry to report global warming unfortunately will increase in January because of the increased release of hot air in Olympia thanks to the likes of Frank Chopp and Margarita Prentice, among other democrats. These two tribal sympathisers along with others are no doubt as we speak figuring ways to screw taxpayers (raise taxes) while giving away the farm to local tribes. Unfortunate also is the fact that many newspapers, awash with millions of ad revenue from "No on I-892" AKA Tribal C a s i n o Inc. will not offend the new cash cow.
The demos will be so busy sending smoke signals those from LA will think there back home.